Bouncing horizon

Discussion in 'Automobilista - Help & Support' started by Fanapryde, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Spin

Spin Active Member

The Nico Rosberg video you posted is more realistic. The Nico Hulkenberg view is a joke and looks like a cross between a real view and the t-cam view. Rosberg's is more realistic.

Here's another one:

0:45 - 0:53 - "It's always difficult, sometimes, to see where you're going because you're sitting so low in the car - so very often I even have to lean upwards a little bit with my head just to see the corner or something..."

1:45 - 1:49 "...and it's also a very, very small area; I'm looking just above the steering wheel..."

By the way, I agree with you regarding seat/head height, that's why I wrote somewhere between -20 and -30; he game's default's "0" is definitely not the true 0. One can easily see this by looking at the physical model of the car from an external cam, or even watching real life, let alone referring to "helmet cam" videos. I suspect a fully realistic view would be too low for most people. 90% of people playing aren't looking for a super hardcore experience.

I said it multiple times a few years back in the rFactor 2 forums. I wish we could have a sort of picture or 3D scene for each car where we can move around a dot in all 3 directions (x, y, z) - side view and head-on view should be enough. The dot would represent the point where the in-game camera (or you can call it your "eyes") is located. This would allow people looking for the technically most realistic experience to achieve a technically perfect view.

P.S. Maybe private message me :) , I think we're starting to hijack this thread

2. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Member

Did you read the text from the Huldenberg video ?

........For the test, Hulkenberg wears high-tech frames that look similar to a pair of glasses. These frames contain five small infrared cameras, which track the movement of his eyes. The data is then transposed onto video from a forward-facing camera in the form of a pink dot, so we, the viewer, can see where Nico is looking while he's on the move......

So no, I don't think it is a joke.

As for the seat position, we do need a pitch control added to the up/down - fore/aft controls. That would help a lot.
    You lost me on the Rosberg video that I am supposed to have posted ? I don't remember doing this ?

Don't worry about the thread, I started it, so... ;)

3. Spin

Spin Active Member

The link you posted has a short Rosberg video/GIF.

I'm sorry but the Hulkenberg video is a joke. You can easily prove this to yourself by simply looking at a picture of a car from the side and see how low/high the eyes are relative to the nose and steering wheel. Aside from what Rosberg explains and demonstrates in the video I posted, you can look at thousands of pics from real life racing across 100s of different series. Furthermore, racers and ex-racer/commentators have talked about this many times over the years. The Rosberg GIF in your link as-well as the video I showed is much more realistic.

EDIT: Oops! The Nico Hulkenberg video in the link you posted is indeed very similar to the Rosberg GIF and what Rosberg explains and, yes, is pretty darn realistic. The video which I said is a joke and not even close to reality is the Lucas Di Grassi video you directly posted. I got confused with that. Lol! :D

As realistic and low as the Nico Hulkenberg video is, he's one of the tallest drivers in F1 and his head actually sits slightly higher than most, if not all, other drivers ;)

P.S. Generally speaking, I think lowering the AMS view to around -20 or -30 is much more realistic BUT the "pitch" should be levelled-out as-well. To do this, go to each cars' cam file and set the first number in the "Orientation offset" to all 0s. The only car I don't zero-out are the karts, instead, I use around 1/3rd - 1/2 of the default value. If you lower the head/seat without levelling the horizon (AKA pitch, AKA "Orientation offset"), your camera/"eyes" will be staring at (ie. pointing towards) your wheel or feet, lol so make sure to do both.

With the seat set to around -20, -30, and the orientation offset (pitch) set to 0.0000, you'll actually feel like you're sitting inside the car with a body and metal wrapped around you :)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Fanapryde

Fanapryde Member

Sure, position of the eyes wise. They view in the Di Grassi video is off because of the camera lens, which is positioned at eye hight, even in front of one of his eyes, but has a very wide angle. I only posted that to illustrate that the horizon does not jump up and down like mad like it does in several cars in AMS default setting.

Yeah, still got to tinker wit that. Only did it once for the Radical mod (which I really like) but the seat inclination was completely wrong. The modder told me how to adjust and now I really love the car.
    That's why it would be a lot easier to have a control button for the seat pitch.
    I'll give your settings a go (they are BTW the same as I use for the Radical).

5. Spin

Spin Active Member

Impossible. It's set way too high regardless of lens. Look at the perspective relative to other objects in that Di Grassi video and compare it to the Hulkenberg and Rosberg video. The mirrors are a good example. In real life, your eyes are below the mirrors or maybe level with the bottom tip or bottom half at most yet in the Di Grassi video you can see the entire top surface of the mirror housing. Look at the outside edge of the tyres; you can see almost to the very bottom of the tyre close to where it touches the ground while in real-life you can barely even see below the sidewall of the upper part of the tyre. The Di Grassi video is absurdly off.

Back to vibrations and stuff, of course you're right about RHM and the inner ear, etc. but, at the same time, many F1 drivers said they could barely see when they had a bad flatspot yet the track/world doesn't jump and down :) . In real life, you can use your inner ear / brain to help to a great degree to keep things centered in your view - so you can stay looking at that object - during bumps/shakes/rattles etc. but it doesn't mean what you're viewing will stay perfectly clear and sharp. I agree with most of what you're saying; of course the inner ear / brain makes a big difference in real life and RHM does a way better job at that specific part (but looses out in others like how, RHM as-well as iRacing and Assetto Corsa with the "lock head to horizon" option enabled, makes it seem like you're driving a 60s Sedan to the grocery store and therefore doesn't give the slightest hint of the harshness and violence of reality - especially with things like stiff cars, bumpy tracks, kerbs, etc.).

It's all down to preference. RHM is a great plugin.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  6. Ernie

Ernie Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I use RHM in rF2 and AC, and i would like to use it in AMS as well.
    With the default cockpit cam the head is slightly leaning into the corner. I really like that, and i want to replicate this effect in RHM too. Which parameter in the "RealHeadMotion.ini" has to be adjusted, to get this effect of the head leaning into the corner to counter the lateral G forces?