Automobilista 2 -Time to Beat The Best! Can We Set The F309 World Record at Guapore?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Ralonso, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Happen to be my favourites as well. That chicane at GP is awkward as hell though. I did a time on the four combinations, now it's your turn... ^^

@tUMi You might wanna have a look at Nurburgring GP/V10 Gen1 again... :whistle: But then again, you are just better in that last chicane, with a clean lap, you should regain the top of the leaderboard without issue.

• Like Like x 2
  2. ControlLogix

ControlLogix Active Member

I haven't spent a lot of time in the F-V10 Gen 1 cars. Might have to practice a bit. Too bad you didn't pick one of the other gens!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dicra

In case anyone's interested in beating me up somewhere, I set records at 2020 Spa-Francorchamps (1,44,1), 2020 (1,29,4) and 2001 Silverstone (1,18,3; second is another pad user) with Formula V10 Gen2, and another record at Guaporé with Formula 3 (1,02,3, 5 tenths in front of @ramsay which isn't worth anything, because physics seem to have changed for that car compared to what you guys had to work with).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

I'd like to have a look at it but I still can't access the leaderboards in Time Trial (I keep getting the "no records found" message). This is happening for the second day in a row so looks like I may need to contact Reiza to get this problem solved. Looks like my game has gone broken as no one else here seems to have the same issue. :D If anyone have ideas how to solve this problem, I would much appreciate it! I'm already iching to do some Time Trial runs, the current situation is driving me nuts! :mad:

But as for now conserning Nurburging GP I will take your word for it. :)

My lap in Nurburgring GP is still not quite polished yet due to limited time, I think I need to spend some more time there to get my lap where I want it to be. I will take a look at your ghost car as soon as I can (if only I could access the Time Trial leaderboards).

Actually I have literally no experience at all from the F-V10 Gen 2 car class, I think I've driven it few times on Test Day mode. I think the last time was somewhere in 2020. :p Maybe one day I will have a proper session with the F-V10 Gen 2 once I get bored with the McLaren MP4/12 (F-V10 Gen 1 car class).

I can highly recommend you to try out the McLaren MP4/12, I think you will fall in love with it, I certainly did after I tested it when the V1.3.0.0 game update was released. Easy to learn, hard to master. ;) It is much less forgiving car than the Reynard 2Ki Toyota in the F-USA Gen 3 car class when you take it to it's limits.

It also has become much faster than it was earlier. According to my friend @Speedfinn the lap time of 5:10.000 was earlier considered as fast lap in Nordschleife. After V1.3.0.0 game update was released it has been possible since then to run laps under 5 minute barrier in Nordschleife. Thanks to @Speedfinn 's awesome setups (he is always happy to share his setups and even recommends everyone to try them out!) I was the first person to beat that barrier in Nordschleife and even today for some reason I'm still the only one who has achieved that. :)

So please, @ControlLogix , take your time getting used to the McLaren MP4/12 and be the second person in the world to drive a lap under 5 minute barrier in Nordschleife. :) I know you can easily do it! :cool:

5. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

I'm finally back again in Time Trial, yay. :cool: Looks like my problem getting access to leaderboard was once again fixed by time, no idea what caused that. Anyway, back to business...

@Dicra I watched your ghost car and I have to say that your pace is just incredible with a gamepad! :cool: Very impressive, especially the way how you exit the corners with such high speeds. I could never drive that fast with a gamepad. :)

I did regain the top of the leaderboard and improved my previously best lap time with almost three tenths of a second which makes me quite satisfied. However my lap didn't went without issues, it still wasn't exactly 100% clean lap. I had a heavy oversteer moment in a third sector and almost spin out in the last corner which costed me some time. Not to mention that you were still slightly faster in a second sector as you can see from the sector times. You still have very strong possibilities to regain the top of the leaderboard. ;)

The difference between us is very minimal as you can see from the screenshots below. :)

ams2_mclaren_mp4-12_nurburgring_gp_tumi_world_record_22-02-22.png
    ams2_mclaren_mp4-12_nurburgring_gp_tumi_world_record_22-02-22_sector_times.png

• Like Like x 2
  6. Dicra

@tUMi This time, I wanted to do things a little differently, so I showed my journey to beating you (temporarily, I fear - 28's are definitely possible), as well as the lap.

If you watch the video, enable subtitles, I've made a few comments to what's happening.

• Like Like x 2
  7. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

That's a lot of dedication. I generally do only around 3-5 laps and give up, and most of the time the only setup change I make is decrease steering lock a bit.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Dicra

Normally I need a lot of time to get the last five percent out of any car. First I need to learn the car/track combo, eg braking and turn-in points (which normally needs 2-3 laps), then I can start to optimize the lines - which means trying to push the boundaries when it comes to corner entry, exit and apex speed. You can see the results of this accustomization in the video - at first, I'm definitely slower than @tUMi , but at the end, I'm in front nearly at every attempt and just need to get a decent final sector.

I'm pretty decent at delivering consistent race pace out of the box, but not that great at doing time trials, where you have to get everything on point - I need to know the car well for that, and I've rarely driven this McLaren. So, getting comfortable was part of the plan.

After that, I need to wait for a lap where I don't make any mistakes. I'm a famed choker - the more difficult the last turns are, the more likely am I to fail them if I had a good lap up 'till then. This makes up the absolute bulk of time, especially on this particular track.

And I normally don't bother with setup, I just copy the best there is and see what I can do with that. But when it's too twitchy for me, which it often is, because there's some levels of smoothness you can't deliver with a pad (wheel users sometimes run astonishingly twitchy setups), then I adjust at least the wings (and, yeah, of course steering lock, you pretty much have to with a pad).

3-5 attempts mostly wouldn't even be enough for me to finish a lap (if there is a hard to beat ghost that forces me to go full send).

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  9. FS7

It's pretty cool that you have the patience to do that many laps and refine the details. I'm ok with doing a race against AI that lasts 30 minutes but I don't have the patience to spend that much time in time trial. That's why I'm 3 seconds off you guys. :)

That last chicane is a pita, not the chicane layout but that damn super high sausage kerb that sends my car flying if I touch it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Dicra

There is use in doing that, though. Time trial ghosts can show you different ways to approach corners and break through boundaries you didn't even know you had. It makes you be more daring than you would be if you drove on your own, take more risks - and achieve more pace.

(Online racing admittedly does that, too, in a more enjoyable way, but not as effectively, because you don't have the ghost).

The gap you tend to have compared to me or others in this thread isn't just due to lack of dedication/trying. I've seen a few videos of yours and you seem to generally be a bit too hesitant/careful especially when entering corners. There's a lot of pace to be achieved with trailbraking in AMS2.

Yeah, you have to be sooo precise there in order to not get your lap ruined ... the steering delay really doesn't help in that corner, because whenever you don't turn in correctly on first try, you can't do anything about it. Apart from more or less everything at Monaco, the second chicane at Monza and the first chicane at Adelaide, this, to me, is the hardest corner on the game.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  11. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

Hey @Dicra :)

I have now watched your video and I liked your insights and observations and I fully agree with them. It also makes crystal clear to everyone who's watching it that you're definitely not using a wheel as your steering inputs looks way too weird for a wheel user. ;) I also liked your subtitles, especially the sentences where you expressed your anger and frustration to this track :D

I can definitely share your pain here, you're not the only one who needs to spend a lot of time to get comfortable with the car and track first and to finally achieve a successful lap time. Been there, done that. ;) The Nurburgring GP is an extremely difficult track to perform a good and clean Time Trial lap. Especially the third sector is notorious for flushing down the toilet all your accomplishments in first and second sectors. :mad:

Anyway, here's my answer to your lap time. As you can see, I was slower in the first sector if you compare that sector time to the sector time I achieved in my previously best lap time. But this time (for the first time) I was faster than you in the second sector but only just, practically our times in the second sector are identical (also in the first sector). This time the third sector was a decisive factor. The differences in our sector times and total lap time are ridiculously small now. :D

Oh yes and I agree, going under 1:29.000 is definitely possible. It's only a matter of time now when that happens. ;)

ams2_mclaren_mp4-12_nurburgring_gp_tumi_world_record_23-02-22.png

ams2_mclaren_mp4-12_nurburgring_gp_tumi_world_record_23-02-22_sector_times.png

• Like Like x 2
  12. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

@Dicra I improved my lap time once more at Nurburgring GP with the McLaren MP4/12. ;) I think it's enough Time Trial for me today, time to get some rest.

This time I finally managed to get my lap time under that "magical" 1:29.000 barrier.

ams2_mclaren_mp4-12_nurburgring_gp_tumi_world_record_23-02-22_1.png

ams2_mclaren_mp4-12_nurburgring_gp_tumi_world_record_23-02-22_sector_times_1.png

Now it's your turn to do the same. ;) Judging by your video and from your sector times I saw there the potential is definitely there.

I know from the experience it's very difficult if not near impossible to get all three sectors perfect inside one single lap regardless of the car and track combo. I'm very happy now with my first and second sector but the third sector is still lacking a bit because I know I still got potential to clock 0:26.300 or very close to that in the third sector.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Sean Smith

Sean Smith Wolf WolfZ AMS2 Club Member

Nice times, after 1 lap I could only manage 23rd on the ladder?

14. Dicra

For me it's a little different, I now have a good first sector and my all time best sector 3, but the second sector is pretty lacking - I'm almost three tenths off my best time there.

However, good news is that it doesn't matter right now, because it's your turn again to beat me. :D Just did a 1,28,855.

This time it didn't take a full hour, but just about twenty minutes to get into a rhythm and do a decent lap.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

@Dicra and @ControlLogix you guys have certainly taken the MP4/12 battle in Nurburgring GP into the next level, nice work from you two. :D

I also improved my lap and now we all three are very close to each other. ;) Like @Dicra I also somehow managed to mess up the second sector but the first sector is at least my personal best.

ams2_mclaren_mp4-12_nurburgring_gp_tumi_personal_record_26-02-22.png
    ams2_mclaren_mp4-12_nurburgring_gp_tumi_personal_record_26-02-22_sector_times.png

• Like Like x 2
  16. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

@Dicra Looks like it's your turn again to take the #1 spot back from me. :D

ams2_mclaren_mp4-12_nurburgring_gp_tumi_world_record_26-02-22.png

ams2_mclaren_mp4-12_nurburgring_gp_tumi_world_record_26-02-22_sector_times.png

• Like Like x 2
  17. FS7

I looked at the leaderboard pic and the first thing that came to my mind is that it looks like a multiclass leaderboard with the 3 class 1 drivers at the top and the the other drivers in the lower classes. :)
    Good job guys!

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. ControlLogix

ControlLogix Active Member

@tUMi Ok I couldn't let you have all the fun :whistle:

9.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  19. Dicra

Oh damn, that's going to be very hard to beat once I'm back home again (probably Wednesday). Not sure I have a lap that excellent in me, because it's possible in terms of sector times, but very hard to put together. Great job!

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  20. tUMi

tUMi Active Member

Nice lap. ;) You were flying on your lap, especially on the second sector.

I decided to "borrow" your setup and this is what I got with it. However I'm not entirely happy with my lap as I ran off a bit too wide and touched the sand in the third sector (last corner).

ams2_mclaren_mp4-12_nurburgring_gp_tumi_world_record_27-02-22.png
    ams2_mclaren_mp4-12_nurburgring_gp_tumi_world_record_27-02-22_sector_times.png

Just do the same as I did and you'll take back the #1 spot without breaking a sweat. ;) With @ControlLogix 's setup the potential lap is now somewhere around 1:28.500's. Do a lap with no mistakes (if that's ever going to be possible on this track) and you'll end up with a lap time less than 1:28.500.