1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AI pit strategy - big mystery! - please help

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Luciano Santos Filho, Feb 6, 2022.

1. Luciano Santos Filho

Luciano Santos Filho Active Member

I have been disappointed with the AI behavior in terms of strategies for a while, but now I am really bugged.

I have done a few races using the same customized grid of cars roughly inspired in the Brazilian Endurance Championship. So, I have been using the same driver's files for a while. In the last two races, I recorded and took a more close look at the results. As usual in long races in AMS2, none of the AIs seem to do the most logical strategy. They pitted more times than needed. What made me curious now is that the same drivers seem to do the same things. The same two drivers have done an absurd number of pit stops.
    upload_2022-2-6_1-7-59.png

upload_2022-2-6_1-8-16.png

In the last race, I started to take notes on which lap each driver would pit and confirmed that they follow a pattern. So they are not, for instance, crashing a lot. They really seem to "want" to pit more times.
    upload_2022-2-6_1-13-20.png

Looking at the driver files (see attached file), I don't see anything that could justify that. They don't have a ridiculously low tyre management skill, for instance, that could explain this behavior.

Can someone please throw some light on this? Is there any hope of improving this thing by setting anything in a different way in the driver's files? Could it be somehow an attribute of the car itself?...

Please help...

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

• P1.xml
      File size:
      9.3 KB
      Views:
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Luciano Santos Filho

I tried another race, same length, different track. I changed the liveries of the drivers Vinicius and Olivier, but kept his attributes, as the strategy problem doesn't seem connected to it. And results were similar
    upload_2022-3-1_22-32-13.png

Still looking for an answer...

• Optimistic Optimistic x 3
  3. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

They never fill the tank with fuel on their stops. I did a race at Daytona once with the Ultima GTRs and made the race distance equal to about 2 1/4 tanks of fuel. The AI all made 4 stops.

I've never tried this--but trying turning off fuel use altogether and see what happens. I know when I disallow fueling during a race, the AI pit strategies are relatively logical. I personally just don't do races that are longer than a full tank of gas.

Hopefully they can address this at some point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Luciano Santos Filho

I also hope this can be addressed. Disabling the fuel usage really hurts the simulation element, even if the race does not require refueling. And the cars, tracks, weather and day- night cycles available in the game, all these bag for proper endurance races.

5. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you tried altering (radically) the worst offending AI driver's stats in the .xml file to see if it makes him behave in a different way?

6. Luciano Santos Filho

It will be my next test. It will take a while for me to do a long race like this again