AMS1 working in VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by mr_belowski, Nov 29, 2020.

1. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Maybe with your (and the others guys involved) help/guidance our beloved @Retrolux could port the latest features in AMS too?
    Would be great and really appreciated by the community...

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Balrog

Balrog Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Oh, I forgot to answer to this: I found a great workaround for that which was suggested to me by @The Iron Wolf : It's possible to use (or even create your own) SimHub overlays and show them in VR with CrewChief's SteamVR overlay feature. I found a very compact overlay for VR which is linked in the description of this video, basically it works great with both rFactor 2 and Automobilista (or any other sim for that matter) and it can be placed and scaled however you want. Just a quick showcase in AMS:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Balrog

Balrog Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I was using the OpenVR plugin as well, until someone pointed out to me that it creates a slightly distorted image from my Index and from that point I couldn't unsee it either.:D So I found another alternative, which is SteamVR's built-in VR View (it can be enabled or disabled via the SteamVR menu), the feature set is similar to the plugin, the left or right eye is selectable (it even has this sort of experimental "both eyes" feature, but unfortunately the output can be very unpleasant depending on the car, so I abandoned it after a little experimenting), the only downside is that the recorded frame is not adjustable, but the FOV is correctly calculated in return.:)

4. Retrolux

Retrolux Member AMS2 Club Member

@Balrog
    For the hud overlays I am also using simhub dashboards and add them directly in StreamVR itself as floating desktop windows (recent update has added that feature). Do you know if the CC overlays are stored per game and automatically positioned where they where before based on the window title?

As for the streaming the OpenVR plugin is the best i could find in terms of performance and resolution as it picks directly the texture from one of the eyes. Having an Index myself i dont notice any distracting distortion actually. You need to crop into the view to match the center of your view and which reduces the FOV distortion. Using the SteamVR mirror has a two lower resolution for me as it copys one eye into a smaller window.

You can see the steamVR overlay dashboards here and the resolution using 100% SteamVR resultion only:

5. The Iron Wolf

The Iron Wolf New Member

Just wanted to tell you guys, that unlike SVR, CC VR overlays allow keyboard toggle on off. In sim racing, not everyone uses controllers, so I added this keyboard wiring etc. And, as far as "per game", SimHub remembers games, but I don't play that many different to tell how convenient that is (I only used SH Motec in RBR, otherwise I just use ShakeIt capability and no UI).

Big kudos for CC overlays to Morten who implemented overlays in CC (I was just fixing bugs and polishing it all). My rig has no monitor and getting to desktop in VR with a key press is amazing as is not begging Valve to do things and getting ignored. This is such a successful feature, that it made me use CC even with games that CC does not support, just the convenient overlay capability.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Sparten

Sparten New Member

There is 1 HUGE factor that makes porting GTR2 improvements to AMS much much harder, and that is real time debugging, there is nothing in GTR2 that prevents this, but in AMS only static analysis of the executable is possible(its packed and protected) so setting brake points is not possible on the retail version, it might not sound like a big deal but trust me it is.

• Informative Informative x 4
  7. wrench76

wrench76 New Member

Hello everyone,
    First post
    I want to give this a try but the link isn't working for me. None of my Chrome based browsers will open the link at all, and niether firefox or edge will let me download the zip. Both say the file can't be downloaded safely.
    Thanks

8. Lieutenant-Llama

Lieutenant-Llama New Member

Right click on the link and go save "target/link as" Then on the download, click on the down arrow and go keep.

9. Lieutenant-Llama

Lieutenant-Llama New Member

I'm having my own issues. Basically my game crashes on escape (I have disabled Exit confirmation menu). In short if I start a race and press escape straight away it's all good. As soon I cut a lap or so and escape it crashes to desktop. Any ideas?

10. Jorge Fernandez

Jorge Fernandez New Member

hi i`m triying run amb 1 in vr , i dont know where is the linkc to download the mod, somebody show me where is it?

thank you

11. Salvatore Sirignano

Salvatore Sirignano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

AMS1 working in VR

12. Jorge Fernandez

Jorge Fernandez New Member

13. Salvatore Sirignano

Salvatore Sirignano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

With regard to the performance and there being room for optimisation, and there being headroom for the underused GPU at the moment, is it worth it to throw better hardware at it?

I have a 4670k CPU and a GTX 1060 6GB graphics card. Would upgrading to a 7700k with a GTX 1080Ti yield a significant improvement? Or upgrading CPU only? Running in VR with high details would be incredible!
    I would be upgrading solely for the purpose of AMS1 in VR and better performance, it's all I desire in terms of gaming, I don't play anything else really.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tommy Can

Tommy Can New Member

15. Retrolux

Here is a little AMS1 VR help guide to help to improve your experience with the mod:
    VR Guide & Tipps

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles New Member

Good stuff but note that CC can map the VR recentre button:
    ResetVRview.jpg

17. Retrolux

Does this work for AMS1 in VR as well? As far as I know the VR mod is not part of crewchief itself right now. Not integrated like it is for GTR2.

18. Bjarne Hansen

Bjarne Hansen Member AMS2 Club Member

I never got CC to work with ams1 VR Center.
    If you got a mouse with a center button than that is very convenient to use as VR centering.
    recenterHMDVirtualKey = 0x04
    or 0x05 and 0x06 if you have those extra buttons

19. Chastria

Chastria New Member AMS2 Club Member

ams1 is working fine with the rift but it is impossible to play :
    I set Exit to Confirmation Menu = off but the game crashes when pressing ESC !
    I don't know what to do !

thank you for your help !

Last edited: Jun 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Chastria

Chastria New Member AMS2 Club Member

after some investigation it has to do with the csl dd... don't get the solution yet !