My latest AMS impressions... terrifying!

Discussion in 'Automobilista - General Discussion' started by mmaruda, Dec 18, 2016.

1. mmaruda

mmaruda Member AMS2 Club Member

So I've been away for some time and have not touched any racing sim in a few months, but today I managed to get my lazy butt in front of my toy steering wheel and check out the latest content, cause guess what? Imola has been out for some time!

So without much haste, I looked at the layouts it comes with and what do you know? A 1972 layout without those pesky chicanes! This call for some V10 deathtrap... Obviously.

So during my first three laps, I spun every damn time, however on the 4th lap I was already quite comfortable with the layout and already had a rough estimate on cornering speeds and breaking point. Two laps later, my tires were hot enough, my confidence was at fighter pilot level and I started pushing as much as my lame driving skills allowed me to. Now I am usually cautious of Imola. It's a very deceitful track, but this time I did not care. And it was scary. I play a lot of games, some of them are horror games like Alien Isolation, but this time I genuinely felt fear! For some reason, the level of immersion was uncanny.

The car wanted to go all over the place, the engine was roaring like mad and the sensation I got from the FFB and what was going on on the screen resulted in on simple thought: "this is insane". I stopped after crossing the finish line, my heart pounding and hands sweaty.

Seriously, Reiza guys, you should put a warning or something in the game for that car/track combo. :)

EDIT: Forgot to be more specific - by V10 deathtrap, I mean Formula Vintage - I don't really drive other cars in this game.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 11
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. Neo-ST

Neo-ST New Member

I've just tried formula vintage yesterday and boy it's fun :D
    Similar to F-vee but with more power, a drifty little thing :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Professionalsimracing.com

Professionalsimracing.com Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Now try the Ultima Road 720 ;) and of course the Retro is a must here and Oulton Park Classic too!

4. Neo-ST

Neo-ST New Member

This is just undrivable!

5. Professionalsimracing.com

Nah you can do it. How many laps you try?

6. OlivierMDVY

OlivierMDVY Active Member AMS2 Club Member

No it's driveable if you have a very light right feet.
    Look at my lap time on Spielberg Full

7. Neo-ST

Neo-ST New Member

You need a feather-like feet to drive this. I don't think any car is so sensitive in real life. This one is just tiresome to drive, not fun (for me) :/

1 :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Professionalsimracing.com

Yeah one lap and cold tires won't do it haha but I've been testing this car today for FFB purposes but noticed I couldn't drive it at all with my usual setup so they must have made more tweaks so I went back to default setup and was closer but still to tight especially under braking so I move bias two clicks to the rear and also reduced front roll bar two clicks and increase rear roll bar one click and back in business. Still need to remove lead from shoe though!

Edit:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Neo-ST

Neo-ST New Member

Will try your setup and try again tomorrow ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Professionalsimracing.com

Also I forgot about Standard (i.e. not 720) version with less power. Also you might want to reduce brake pressure if that gives you better feel. You can also adjust throttle mapping if you also have lead foot on throttle. You can also use more steering lock to help with saving slides. Lastly, you might want to modify the gearing in the car. I'd really like to see modified gearing be an option on this car because when you build one as it is a kit car you can choose gearing. Maybe not include at track in garage but be able to install in showroom or something like that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Neo-ST

Neo-ST New Member

Tried everything but it's ridiculously undrivable. I mean, you can drive it if you won't push it.
    But that's not fun to me. I wanna floor them and keep them in high revs. This needs to be driven like a diesel, low revs, early shifting :D

Also, I can't change many settings in car setup, there's simply no option to change them (no arrows < > )

So far I had most fun with: MCR cars, Formula retro, vintage, F-vee and super cart.

12. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Indeed, everyone who has bought a Ultima Road 720 in real life must be dead by now :)

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. lucaf

lucaf New Member

Drove first time Imola 1972. Man, it looks awesome! I hate modern Imola full of chicanes but that historic track immersed in Italian countryside is just super fun and looks amazing.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Its very drivable just depends how u set it up. I haven't got a bad time at Spielberg either hehe