1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

@Stakanov - is it possible there's a bug regarding the suspension_feel calculations in the v2 files? I've just upped to 1.1 as per my taste but get no feeling when going over sausage kerbs as I did before....?

Also the kerbs feel very very flat.... (I'll keep testing)

2. Stakanov

Stakanov Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

For this low sensation i use high value of kerbs .... but the code for suspension and kerb is the same of Karsten original code 5.0.1.4 ... I will investigate by making a comparison with previous versions ;)

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
  3. easy81

easy81 Member

BEATIFUL FILE CUSTOM... FOR ME, SIMUCUBE 2 PRO gain 31, LB 2 FX 20

4. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

@Stakanov
    Did some testing with the 'No Yaw' file. I changed most values to the 'DD/Alt.' values, and find the file very much to my liking now :)
    It is very close to Karsten's latest effort, but where in Karsten's file I mostly feel the front wheels, in your file I feel the rear wheels as well.
    Need to try a few more cars on a few more tracks, and maybe play a bit with some parameters in the file, but so far, for me, 'No Yaw' feels like the best DD1 option currently :)

@Rob Davies, for reference, I run 45/10/25/0 in game, and FF 75%, NDP 30%, INT 6 and FEI 70 in Fanalab. Other values like yours.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Stakanov

@torsteinvh @Rob Davies

For kerb the effect of surface return if you set smooth to 0.000....

(kerbs_surface_scale 7.80) ----> for DD set to taste
    (kerbs_surface_smooth 0.000) #How much smooth the kerbs_surface.
    (kerb_bump_scale 3.40) ----> for DD set to taste

Another advices for DD is the disable with # all relax value (Daniel suggested this in the past).....

#(relax_us_line2_start_y 0.0008)
    #(relax_us_pos 0.0011)
    #(relax_us_width 0.00263)
    #(relax_us_coef -0.01)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Kuku Maddog

Kuku Maddog Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Hi Rob

I’ve been trying many different ways with all these new options, but haven’t settled on anything yet, I think I prefer to just keep it focused on the front input through the rack.
    I also have something else to play around with , that has been suggested by a silent contributor, which seems positive for DD but will require some other adjustments .

hopefully I can get some time this week to dial it in ..

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stakanov

Hey Kuku I also care in a file of yours that is missing for some time ... indeed I will wait for yours to implement what I will like and to better tune my V2.0 in a final version V3.0 ;)

• Like Like x 1
  8. newtonpg

newtonpg Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you!
    First impressions:
    No Yaw file feels dull and maybe require tweaking ingame settings (witch I didn't)
    rFactor 5-0-1-4 4W.GRIP & STRETCH-MOD V2.0 (WITH YAW) is a step forward over V1.0 and my choice to go with. Near perfection, no excuses for bad driving... :oops:

FFB: Custom 75-20-20-50
    CP: Default / Boost OFF / Spring & Damper = 0

Notice: My first attempt with V2.0 was kind of a lifeless feeling. It although showed its qualities after restarting game. Restarting game after changing custom ffb file is my new procedure.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Stakanov

Right the value in game require tweaking with No Yaw and for this reason I still keep two rows ... As a general rule, the High/Medium/Low range goes with the Yaw and the Relax, the DD and the VeryHigh range can go without Yaw and without Relax ... but the code is however the same (symptom of maturity) and only the tunes/variables are different for DD ... thanks for feedback!!! ;)

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. AntoAntoDD

AntoAntoDD Member

Right, the same impression for me and my son. ;)
    With T300 the best is V2.0 with Yaw and Relax with standard values, for me with DD1 the best is V2.0 without Yaw and without Relax with DD/Alternative values.:cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a bit of an issue with both of the Grip and Stretch Mod files. I can not stop the consistent road noise/vibration. I have set Texture_scale to 0.00 as well as micro_bumps_scale. I have also turned suspension to 0.00 as well. This does not happen with the Grip only Mod file. All other FX feel fine. Thanks guys.

12. Rob Davies

Which seems to align with my observation that the suspension scale had no impact and kerbs felt flat. I haven’t had chance to try the kerb smoothness change @Stakanov suggested yet

13. Stakanov

Maybe is the use of dt and dt2 try to set both at 333 or both at 300 o_O ... and make sure that you DD users have the tightening at 0 ;)

(dt (/ 1 333)) ----> this affect road and effects
    (dt2 (/ 1 333))

(dt (/ 1 300))
    ----> this affect road and effects
    (dt2 (/ 1 300))

I have implemented this distinction because some private message users with the T300-500 have experienced of less fluctuation with the use of the 333 ...

for kerbs try the smooth to 0 ... and the suspension are different in the last karsten file but after solving these two aspects (noise and kerb) we will see what to do, at most I copy the suspensions from the previous Grip v1.0 file ;)

EDIT: Thanks to all your tests are invaluable!!!!

14. Michael Enright

Thanks for the reply. Trouble is, your original Grip and Stretch Mod file does it too, but not the Grip Mod file.

15. Rob Davies

Thanks will try later. Would you mind sharing what dt1 and dr2 is?

I think I have the startup parameter -FFB XXX (or something - to change frequency?) set from a while ago too, maybe this is something I’ll test too

• Like Like x 1
  16. Michael Enright

That's in Steam? If so, you don't need that now, but I don't know if it effects anything if it is left as a launch option. Just take it out. These are the only launch options I use;
    -windowed -borderless

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Stakanov

Yes I know in fact this distinction between dt1 and dt2 was not in the file with only grip v.1, if you set both with 300 the file becomes identical to the previous version regarding the dt (you could perhaps solve if you set them both with 333) ... I'm just looking for the variables between the two files that are different ... here on the low-end I don't feel noticeable differences

(dt (/ 1 300))
    (dt2 (/ 1 300))

I just didn't understand if you've tried this already?? If confirmed I will see other differences ;)

Yes, the FFB -600 launch parameter on Reiza's indications can be removed and is the hz of ffb, dt are different variables ... Reiza advised to use it static and set to 1/300 but some on the forum and privately had revealed the need to set it to 1/333 because it avoided unwanted oscillations (it should be a time delta that is used in circle geometry to calculate the displacement between two points along the circumference but I wouldn't want to tell you something that's not true) ... if we confirm that this is what I will report as before ... meanwhile i continue comparisons to find any further differences!!

18. Stakanov

@Michael Enright and @Rob Davies ... a first difference between the Grip file and the Grip&Stretch file is the texture as Karsten modified it in his original files ... disabling these two lines with # symbol the textures become identical between the files ... could this be what you feel? Let me know... ;)

(left_texture_o left_texture_o)
    (right_texture_o right_texture_o)
    (left_texture (* 0.002 (if (+ FL_bump_kerb FL_bump_offroad) 0 1) (- FL_load left_texture_o)))
    (right_texture (* 0.002 (if (+ FR_bump_kerb FR_bump_offroad) 0 1) (- FR_load right_texture_o)))
    (left_texture_o FL_load)
    (right_texture_o FR_load)
    (texture (+ left_texture right_texture))

#(texture_vibes (spring texture 6000 0.025))
    (texture (smooth texture 0.003))
    (texture (hard_clip texture 0.06))
    (texture (if (min 0 (- (abs texture) 0.0001)) 0 (power texture (power (abs texture) 0.02))))

#(texture (+ texture (* 2.5 texture_vibes)))

I also understood what's different in the suspension but we'll talk about it later as soon as we solve this background noise problem ;)

19. Michael Enright

Thanks for that. You may be right. I reckon the first time I noticed this was when I tried Karsten file. I didn't like it, so just put the file aside. I'll give it a look tomorrow and let you know. PC shut down for the evening.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Stakanov

@Rob Davies @Karsten Hvidberg and to All for testing... suspension topic ... I don't know if this feelings are just mine!!

Karsten this is the your last code for suspension in the file 5.0.1.4....

(load_f (+ FL_load FR_load))
    (load_f (* 650 (/ (- load_f (smooth load_f 0.2)) (+ FL_start_load FR_start_load))))
    (load_r (+ RL_load RR_load))
    (load_r (* 650 (/ (- load_r (smooth load_r 0.2)) (+ RL_start_load RR_start_load))))
    (load (- load_f load_r))
    (suspension (- load (smooth load 0.03)))
    (suspension (smooth suspension 0.2))
    (suspension (* 2 suspension 0.002 suspension_scale))
    (as (blend (min 1 (* (abs steering_angle_rack) 10)) 1 0))
    (as (power as 0.7))
    (as (smooth as 0.1))
    (suspension (* suspension as))

take a very informative car in the suspension, for example the V10 Gen2 (for Formula) or a GT3 of your choice, try some tracks like Kansai (right-left and kerbs), Spa (long curves with kerbs) and Nurburing (many bump and kerb) and memorize the sensations of the suspension

Now try this

(load_fl (- FL_load (smooth FL_load 0.1)))
    (load_fr (- FR_load (smooth FR_load 0.1)))
    (load_f (+ load_fl load_fr))
    (load_f (* 650 (/ (- load_f (smooth load_f 0.1)) (+ FL_start_load FR_start_load))))
    (load_rl (- RL_load (smooth RL_load 0.1)))
    (load_rr (- RR_load (smooth RR_load 0.1)))
    (load_r (+ load_rl load_rr))
    (load_r (* 650 (/ (- load_r (smooth load_r 0.1)) (+ RL_start_load RR_start_load))))
    (load (- load_f load_r))
    (suspension (- load (smooth load 0.03)))
    (suspension (smooth suspension 0.2))
    (suspension (* 2 suspension 0.002 suspension_scale))
    (as (blend (min 1 (* (abs steering_angle_rack) 10)) 1 0))
    (as (power as 0.7))
    (as (smooth as 0.1))
    (suspension (* suspension as))

leaving aside the necessary adjustments on the intensity of the effect still to be done at a later time, I feel something very consistent and improvement not only in the movement of the suspensions but also on the bumps, on the curbs and in the sensation of weight that the used car represents!!! :) ... it is possible or is it just me on the low end and on you it feels differently??? o_O

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022