1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Information for Customizing AI drivers in AMS2 V1.3

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by gian, Nov 19, 2021.

1. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Have you confirmed it works with the default livery for Lola?

2. jusk

jusk Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried removing all the Lola liveries (Ford & Mercedes varients) and changing the team names in the XML back to the defaults for those teams, but the behaviour seems the same.

Another thing I tried was to add in name overrides for various drivers from all the car types for Laguna Seca. The only ones that work are those for Lola Ford or Lola Mercedes liveries.

I.e. overrides apparently not working at all for Reynard Ford/Honda/Mercedes liveries.

Also tried switching all the overrides from Laguna Seca to Adelaide Historic - same result.

Also - to confirm what Romeo Foxtrot suggested - removing all Lola entries from the XML makes the Reynard entries work as expected, but adding just one of either type of Lola (Ford or Merc) back in makes the Reynard overrides stop working.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2022
  3. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

It's a bug, jusk, and I've raised a report for it.

You can add many extra driver livery_names and spread them across as many cars in the chassis group, even mixing engines, but you can't add extra drivers to another chassis group.

It's all Lolas or all Reynards. All Corollas or all Cruzes. Up to 27 Super V8s even though there are 30 chassis in the class.

But you can't have any Corolla with an alternate driver if there's an overridden Cruze even with as few as 2 opponents in the field.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jusk

Great - thank very much for helping get to the bottom of it and reporting :)

5. theboat

theboat New Member

Does this currently work in multiplayer? does it work on a dedicated server?

6. jusk

No, I don't think you can use custom AI for multiplayer at all at the moment.

7. jusk

Is there any solution for surnames that are more than one word? I.e. de Ferran, de Cesaris, Unser Jr. currently display as "Ferran", "Cesaris" and" Jr.", etc.

Just a little thing obviously, but leaving out the space or using an underscore or whatever looks wonky.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Romeo Foxtrot

Romeo Foxtrot Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, I use a non-blank space (Alt + 0160). ;)

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. jusk

Ah, fantastic - thanks!

10. Apex

Apex Active Member

I did an experiment yesterday and made a custom AI grid with 16 liveries using only the Corvette C3 R.

I made a set of attributes for the first driver and then copy/pasted it for the remaining 15 drivers. The idea was to set consistency quite low and then test the variation. It actually worked like a charm, and I had some very fun and diverse races. I fine-tuned Skill and Aggression once to match the grid with my own pace, but then it was simply copy/paste again.

So, if you fancy a quick and dirty solution you can actually do that. The hard part was coming up with 16 unique but not too ridiculous names for the drivers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. jusk

Just a follow up on this (which I have also noted on the bugs thread) - this issue does not arise with the F-Classic Gen3 cars at all - works perfectly across all three car models.

On a more general point - has anyone had much success in improving AI on AI overtaking? They can seem quite reluctant/conservative in completing attempted passes - backing out when already ahead, etc - and leaders often get held up a lot by back-markers. I've been lowering defending values across the board and increasing blue_flag_conceding and it seems a little better maybe, but wondering if anyone has suggestions for good value ranges?

12. Apex

Apex Active Member

It's tricky, and I suppose quite dependent on class, but try setting aggression fairly high, defending and consistency fairly low and make sure there is enough skill variation in your grid. I think defending is somehow linked to aggression, so try using extreme settings at first and adjust from there.

Perhaps a little counter-intuitively I tend to make the very quick drivers a little slower in quali and vice versa so there'll be some dicing during the race. Too much and the slower drivers will hold everybody up.

• Like Like x 1
  13. stealthradek

stealthradek Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I love racing with various Mr Men & Little Miss characters. Mr Rush is obviously the fastest and Mr Bump have poor accident avoidance metrics :confused:
    [​IMG]

Simracing doesn't have to be serious all the time :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. Harry H

Harry H Active Member AMS2 Club Member

https://www.fantasynamegenerators.com/

• Like Like x 2
  15. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I do see some AI overtaking AI going on but what I see more of is AI getting about 80-90% of an overtake done going into a corner, then pulling out of it at the last moment. It would be another big plus for this game's AI and the dynamic nature of the AI racing if these could be converted into actual overtakes.

• Agree Agree x 6
  16. jusk

Yes, absolutely - hopefully it can be addressed in coming updates. I've been hoping that tweaking aggression/defending/consistency/etc might improve it a little - but ultimately I think there are some baked-in AI behaviours that aren't quite right yet regardless of the custom AI attributes.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Apex

Apex Active Member

Small update on my home-bred copy/paste trick:

I set consistency to 0.1 and get a couple of seconds between the fastest and slowest drivers in practice, and a very nice spread during the race. Now, when applied to the more 'dangerous' classes, like the F-Vintage cars for example, you might want to set avoidance a bit higher than usual or you'll have frequent shuntfests.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Jason Bradshaw

Jason Bradshaw Member

Anyone know if there are any plans to colour coordinate driver and Pit crew with the cars? It looks like the suits are random..does anyone know how to edit this?

19. jusk

AFAIK you can't edit them for now. Not sure about the plan, but it has certainly been mentioned/requested - along with helmets, etc.

• Like Like x 2
  20. Luciano Santos Filho

Luciano Santos Filho Active Member

Build: 1.3.5.1986
    Track & Layout Used: GaleĆ£o
    Car Used: Stock Car 2022 (probably irrelevant).
    Applicable Settings: N/A.
    Report: The curb outside T1 can send AI cars into space. Seriously, they take off up to at least 20 meters high.

I didn't try to do it myself, so not sure it applies to the player.

Sorry about the quality of the video.