1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are my lobbies not visited ? What is the "worst" setting ?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by SaxOhare, May 4, 2022.

1. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have hosted over 60 online races in the past week, all with the
    Fomula-Classic Gen3,
    At Silverstone 1991, Kyalami 1976, Montreal 1988, Spa 1993, adelaide 1988, Jacerepagua 1988 and Monza 1991.
    The races were over 10 laps and a qualifying of 15 minutes.
    01:00 PM - 10:00 PM GMT
    Of the 60 races I had 20 times 1 participant in practice 1 time 2 participants and 3 times someone who actually finished the race, in short they were almost all solo events. Is it the car, is it the ciruits or is it my lobbie settings?

What is the main reason for not participating?

20220504153137_1.jpg
    20220504153104_1.jpg
    20220504153040_1.jpg
    20220504153016_1.jpg

2. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Cant see anything in your settings to explain. Had I been around I would have joined a few, (not adelaide or Montreal, but I just cant find the time lately, not even to test.
    Whats your looby name for ref?
    When I was on, this is 1 reason I run/ test with ai, at least a few, set high to race against.
    Good luck. will look out for you when on
    Just modified my csl qr so may try later

• Like Like x 1
  3. SaxOhare

I started with calling my lobby "Racing" but after a while i just let the default Lobby name "lobby" live

4. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Those historic openwheeler never get the attention they deserve online. It's all about modern GT cars these days. That's why I hope for many improvements to the AI so that I can enjoy these cars without needing to wait hours in online lobbies.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

I don't have a problem with any of your settings, but perhaps:
    1. The minimum rating is too high (most lobbies seem to be U)
    2. The realism settings (e.g. people may want one or more of: non-cockpit view, visible driving line, auto-shifting, ABS on a car that doesn't have ABS, etc.)
    3. There just aren't enough players (I do most of my AMS2 in a league, as most of the lobbies are dire)

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

just my thoughts of course.
    I rarely join unnamed loobies, and always use my name or 'M V6' so previous participants can recognise and know what to expect.
    + If you used ie 'Saxo racing' people who know you, inc here in forum may join because they know you! from test races or other races.
    I think as well that time of year means at least for some wheel time is limited as opposed to winter.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Enagee

Enagee jim joneZ AMS2 Club Member

Car track combo place a part.... 80% of the sessions I've hosted ended up with more than 10 people.
    I tend to call a couple of friends on discord to jump in... If you can get 2 friends in a lobby with an appealing track/car combo and a decent practice time session you have a good chance of getting it busy.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. SaxOhare

I'm afraid you're right, but I don't get it because you really have to do your best to get a bad rating, and as far as the arcade settings are concerned I'm curious which one I should adjust first to get some more people in the lobby?
    Which specific setting is the worst ?

9. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I do a majority of my online racing at RD.
    Your setting look good from a competitive perspective. Me personally, I'm not a big a retro F1 fan.

The few non Rd mp sessions I've joined have been a crap shoot with low talent drivers, rating turned off, assists enabled, no fuel/damage and modern content.

Simply not enough players come a certain time of day...usually after 6pm western Canada.

10. Andrew Hollom

Andrew Hollom Active Member

Well, I don't know if I'm right or not, I was just guessing based on a few things, like the number of people that do the F1200X games from the roll bar camera (I prefer realism). I've got my rating up to around A1750, and I guess I'm a bit scared of joining a lobby full of over-eager/under-talented dudes and dudesses. I recall from when I did use them that at least half (usually two-thirds) were U rated, so that (a D rating) would exclude quite a few (that presumably you want to exclude).

It's all a bit of a conundrum with so many sims and so little time. I think Reiza needs a competition system and hold some eSports series, like endurance races with driver swaps and an open wheeler series. When you get the best of the best together and stream it, then people will see what to aspire to and have a system within which to do it. Random lobbies are definitely not the way forwards, and even organised leagues are often short of drivers so the experience there can sometimes be lacking too. Of course, iRacing does the online experience best and has been doing it the longest and has the biggest following. rFactor 2 has tried to get their competition system going, but as ever with S397, progress is slow (however, they have had some success with the GT-Pro and GT-Challenge competitions).

11. sci006

sci006 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think for cars and tracks that are not extremely popular, you will have more luck getting punters in if you turn pitstops, damage and setups to off.

Most people would give it a try if you take the strategy out the equation so they can just race.

12. Redvaliant

Redvaliant Well-Known Member

You need to name your lobby, otherwise it looks random, like you don't care enough to set it up.
    I won't drive on lobbies with aids turned on for cars that never used them, ie, classics running stability,TC/ABS. But most people are looking for an easy time and want those assists enabled, so maybe allow TC or ABS - at least on Factory Drefaults - and other driving views. Your user rating is too high, again, cool for me, but loads of people won't be able to join.
    I used to run a week night server running older cars and always with the same name. We had a few regulars and even with aids off, and difficult cars we'd always get people in to race just by being around at the same time & populated by a few guys chatting on Discord.

13. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Name it Saxo's Daily or so.. So people will recognize your lobby. Specially when they have a good time. 'Hej, Saxo is here. Lets join. I had a good time a couple of days ago.'

ps. Literally all the lobbies are damage off, etc etc. I wonder why people play a sim, but turn everything off, and everythin on that makes it feel arcade, hehe.

14. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The problem is not your settings (exactly the kind of combo I look for online, but never find), but the people.

I've noticed sim racers love some greasy fast foodey lobbies, instead of anything that would demand them to properly commit to the race.

upload_2022-5-5_10-16-38.png

• Like Like x 1
  15. Donnchadh MacGarry

Donnchadh MacGarry Leprechaun Member AMS2 Club Member

I'd give it a better name than Racing and Lobby especially. Just maybe something like "90s F1 Racing" in your case (or "Saxo's Daily" as was mentioned by Marius H). It would pop out more to a user and they don't need to go clicking into it to have an idea as to what it is.

I generally find that if you can get a group of 4 people to agree to join you from a discord group or something when you initially open your lobby, then you will suddenly attract a lot more people. People, including myself, tend to order lobbys by population, so they will see lobbys with more people in them first and thus are far more likely to try that then scroll down to lobbys with only 1. I have created lobbys on my own, and with 5 people say in a discord group with very similar settings in both. When on my own, I am lucky to get anyone else to join. When in a group of 5 to begin with, we tend to have a good few extra people join. This is probably the biggest thing I find that contributes to lobby numbers. Its definitely a snowball effect, once it gets going it starts growing and growing. The issue is to get a few numbers to get it going in the first spot.

Give plenty of time for people to join in. No one can join if there is like 1 minute left in the qualifying. If you are doing only 1 race that evening, then perhaps consider making the qualifying session longer. Or add a 15 minute practice session on top of the 15 minute qualifying before the race. You don't want to make practice/qualifying too long since it means that you won't be racing most of the time and that might put people off, but you also need to make it long enough to get people in and plugging away at some laps (and people might want some extra practice time in cars like the ones you like). Its a difficult balance to get correct and there is no correct length of time you should use I find.
    If you were doing multiple races of 10-15 minutes in length with easier, more commonly used cars, then having a 10-15 minute qualifying only is fine I think.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1