1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AMS2 Career - Web-based App Released!

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by rsr427, May 6, 2022.

1. rsr427

rsr427 Member AMS2 Club Member

Introducing AMS Career, a self-contained, web-based career tracker for AMS2.

Some may be familiar with my Excel-based tools (at racedepartment) for AMS2 and Project Cars 2, games with brilliant content that needed to be explored. PC2 had a career mode that did a pretty good job guiding you around the sim. But AMS2 lacks anything of the sort, and the content needs to be experienced.

Enter @abesto , who had the same ideals and goals, but has actual talent! He's turned the AMS 2 Career spreadsheet into a fully-fledged web app.

https://ams2-career.abesto.net/

Starting out at the lowest rank in eight racing disciplines, you are presented with offers in each. Set up the single race in AMS2 and report your results in the app and you gain XP across the 8 disciplines. The goal is to the reach pinnacle of your favorite discipline, or maybe all disciplines!

1) The app works off of self reporting of your results. If you want to enter 1st place, every race, all the time - we can't stop you. But you're only cheating yourself...
    2) Results matter, but not as much as you think. And as a sim racer you already know that a hard-fought 5th place is often better than a walk-away win. Don't be afraid to challenge yourself!!
    3) To help tailor the experience to you, the app has a robust method to handicap the AI. If all cars seem too slow, you can enter a global modifier to increase the recommended AI. Or, maybe one car, or one class is out of balance with the AI level that seems to work everywhere else for you. You can modify just that car/class.
    4) But you can't fool the program all the time. Wins are rewarded with an increase to your recommended AI level, while lacklustre results may see your AI level dialed back. The goal is a good race in great cars on great tracks.

There is a github devoted to the project, set up by abesto, with a wiki for additional help.
    [​IMG]
    GitHub - abesto/ams2-career
    Contribute to abesto/ams2-career development by creating an account on GitHub.
    github.com

Some notes about how the app works:
    a) it works on mobile as well as PCs (even MacIntosh computers!) so keep that phone/tablet/iMac by your sim rig
    b) your career progress is specific to that browser on that device, so - for example - I wouldn't be able to carry over my career from my phone to my PC's Chrome browser. Plan ahead when starting a new career

We hope you enjoy and we hope it enables you to get more out of the sim. Credit goes to @abesto who had the talent and vision to turn a humble group of tables into something robust, expandable, and exciting.

(sorry for the dupe post in AMS section)

• Like Like x 21
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Awesome. Thanks for doing this. Will give it try and report back!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Alexandre Sene

Alexandre Sene Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Looks great.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. jimortality

jimortality Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I put in a race win to try it but when I try to reset career, it comes up with a verification string error

• Informative Informative x 3
  5. Sean Smith

Sean Smith Wolf WolfZ AMS2 Club Member

Did you do a race or just tried to Log a Win?

6. abesto

abesto New Member

Make sure to read the message in the popup box :) To avoid accidental misclicks from wiping your progress, there's an extra step in there. Hint: type "reset" (without quotes) in the text box at the bottom of the dialog.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Leo347

Leo347 New Member

@abesto @rsr427
    Hey guys. Amazing job. You guys done something i was working on myself! I have some ideas about features on the app. I would love to talk with you guys about it. Is there any way that i can reach you?

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  8. abesto

abesto New Member

Hey hey! For specific, mostly-clear feature ideas, I'd say the best way is to open a new issue on the GitHub repo. There are two templates in there - one is called Feature Request :)
    For more open-ended discussions, there's also Discussions · abesto/ams2-career.

Using these has a few advantages over a private chat or whatever: it gets the ideas out into the open so other can contribute (either with ideas or code), and we have a nice, structured, searchable record of stuff we discussed (unlike a chat thread).

• Like Like x 1
  9. jimortality

jimortality Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you that works!

• Like Like x 1
  10. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

Thank you for the career mod.
    Started a career tonight.
    :)

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  11. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

Continued a little bit more the career.
    I really like it.:cool:
    Thanks for investing your rare spare time.

Is there more to come (badges for achievements, more series, invitational events, presentation enhancements (make it less sterile, more gamey), etc.) or is the development completed?

12. abesto

abesto New Member

Glad you're enjoying it! We released this version as soon as we got it into a state where we felt it's "playable" to see what feedback we get. We do have a ton of ideas on what we could improve / add (see Issues · abesto/ams2-career). Basically, to each thing you mentioned: yes :)
    And even:
    Keep in mind, these are ideas; our initial plans ended at "let's release this and see what happens". So no promises :) Pull requests are very welcome though, if someone so inclined is reading this!

• Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

@abesto
    I saw these topics in your homepage, but unfortunatelly you seem to be the only person being active in this forum.:confused:
    So I was worried you stopped your work due to the lack of interest from other people.
    But glad to hear that development will be continued.:cool:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That's really a great idea !
    This gives AMS2 some structure and sense of progression for those of us that sometimes struggle what to pick for racing.
    I think it would be a good idea to pin this thread for better visibility.

15. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

I think it would be even better if abesto could/would collaborate with some of the Reiza forum Youtube guys so they could promote this tool for the masses.:cool:

16. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

I'll go ahead and ping a few forum locals. ;)

@Tarmac Terrorist @Donnchadh MacGarry @DDF Racer @FrankyRed @MoonieGT
    Check the OP. It could make for an interesting video series.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  17. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

I love the career mod, it makes me feel comfort.
    Irl, my boss or my wife tells me what to do. In AMS2 nobody did. Now a bot tells me what to do in AMS2. I like that.:D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  18. XettMan

XettMan Active Member

Wow!
    Cool, there are achievements.
    Thank you.:)

19. kkdrummer

kkdrummer Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

It seems to be down atm?

20. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Looks great. I was wondering does it collect non-racing data? How about our privacy?

• Like Like x 1