Kart AI

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Josh Naipaul, May 7, 2022.

1. Josh Naipaul

Josh Naipaul New Member

So I really want to do a custom season of Kart cause they are so many Brazilian Kart tracks, maybe the 125cc but I've heard so many bad things from reading past posts that its unfinished or the AI is wonky. Also from the couple of hours I've tired it in VR it seems to be okay apart from when you're in the pits and the car shakes like its having a seizure, which can be pretty annoying in VR. But I've heard that the AI sometimes drives without someone in the car or its all over the place with the difficulty. If its unfinished maybe doing a Season of Kart with Project Cars 2, which I also have, is better choice? cause its a more matured game?. Or should I just stick with AMS2 with my season of Kart?

2. Josh Naipaul

Josh Naipaul New Member

Actually forget it, I installed Project Cars 2 and tried out their Kart and its just not as good as AMS2, plus the FFB can't compare to AMS2 or the graphics in VR. After testing out AMS2 Kart tonight on all tracks it seems the AI is just fine on 100% skill and 50% aggression, except for one of the Brazilian kart tracks, Granja or something...there are 4 variations of it and the AI always crashes and piles up so that's not going to work in a Championship. So yeah, going to uninstall PC2 now :) .

3. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I can recommend trying out my GX390 Kart Championship

Some notes:
    • The brake damage bug (which also was present in PC2) has been fixed.
    • GX390 karts (rental / race) AI is decent, but are a bit slower than normal, so you'll probably have to max out their skill to 120 or something close to it.
    • 125cc kart AI is decent at Buskerud, Interlagos, and Londrina.
    • Shifter kart (and Superkart, for that matter) AI is too buggy to race against. The exception is at some tracks and at very low AI skill.
    • I prefer fewer than 16 karts on track, since more karts increases risk of weird AI behavior
    • Wet conditions make the AI really unbalanced compared to the player.
    • Rolling start works best (no formation lap) and prevents weird AI behavior at the start.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Kart AI doesn't cope well with the faster karts 2 Stroke and Shifter.

Rental and race are the very same afaik, the difference is that you can adjust the setup with the race version, while you can't with the rental.

Also, if you ever setup an online lobby for the 2Stroke or Shifters, give it a go for Virginia Patriot layout. Nice flowy with those faster karts, loads of fun!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Josh Naipaul

Josh Naipaul New Member

Thanks for the info, so basically there's only 5 proper layouts I can use for a decent season of Kart?..the 3 Interlagos ones and 2 from Londrina?. So for the other ones, there's basically nothing I can do to make the AI seem competent? maybe lowering the aggression or anything? Cause the 4 Kartland tracks looks super fun. Anyways, it seems you're very familiar with this game...is there a schedule you'd recommend with a Brazilian Season of Formula Vee?, since its suppose to be a Brazilian series I'd like to keep it with tracks in Brazil to make it more immersive. Thanks again!

6. Roar McRipHelmet

For 125cc and Shifter Karts: Yes. For GX390 Rental and GX390 Race: No – All kart tracks + a few non-kart tracks work well with GX390.
    Lowering the Skill slider indeed makes the kart and superkart AI do less of the surreal "bowling-alley" / "rallycross" behavior. The aggression slider is often misunderstood as what we humans think of as aggressive driving, when in fact it's mostly this: How hard will an AI try to defend their position, and how long will an AI try to stay side-by-side when passing before they give up their passing attempt. "Aggressive driving" such as dive-bombing, corner-cutting, swerving, trading paint, et cetera are not controlled by the Aggression slider in AMS2.
    See my "2019 Formula Vee Brazil" post:
    Championship Ideas and Suggestions

Last edited: May 9, 2022
  7. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Is the overheating brakes fixed too?
    Last I tried, they were glowing red after 3 laps and had terrible brake fade.

In regards to the ai, I use 110/100 and found at alot of tracks the ai would drive half on the grass on some straights, and cut a few corners.

8. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I just did a quick test with Karts.
    The 125cc kart still has overheating brakes after a couple of laps, the rest look fine.
    Why does the GX390 rental kart have pre-heated tires, when the rest start with cold tires?

9. Josh Naipaul

Josh Naipaul New Member

Oh great! that's exactly what I was looking for cause I also wanted to do a season of Formula Vee and the two Formula trainers. Now if only I can get AI's for each of the cars, I'm so sick of seeing Ramponelli on every leader board no matter which series of cars lol. I've already got AI for F309 and Kart 125cc.

10. Josh Naipaul

Josh Naipaul New Member

I've never noticed overheating brakes but once I did a stint of like 13 laps on the Norway Kart track and my engine blew lol

11. sgsfabiano

Engine overheating is bugged afaik.

Unfortunately, for now, all we can do is to turn off mechanical failures.

12. Josh Naipaul

Josh Naipaul New Member

For all classes of Kart of just the 125cc.

13. sgsfabiano

I think all of them, but I race mostly the 2Stroke and the Shifter, both which I am absolutely sure they have this bug.

14. Josh Naipaul

Josh Naipaul New Member

Yeah and what's up with the Rear left breaks overheating!
    Roar McRipHelmet said it was fixed earlier in the post but its not. The Rear left break over heats up and the Rear Right doesn't. Whats up with that?

Edit: oh wait, he was talking about the 125cc's, so the brake overheating bug still exists for the GX390s then.

Last edited: May 11, 2022
  15. Roar McRipHelmet

The bug I was referring to was that immediately on race start, one of the brakes would have temperature of -3.759847623E9 degrees, the "Pit due to damage" message shows up (pitting didn't help), and also the wheel with the weird brake temperature would for some reason gradually dig itself into the ground and eventually the kart would get stuck in the ground. It made the karts completely impossible to race. That bug was there in PC2 and was in AMS2 for over a year, but it has been fixed a couple of months ago.

Gradual brake overheating that happens too soon is a different issue that happens not only to karts, but also a few other cars such as the Ultima GTR Road and the Caterham 620R. The workaround is to coast before a corner, set brake pressure to its lowest value (typically 50%), not brake too hard, and with karts you can also do a slight drift entry into hairpins. A similar issue was with the Super V8 earlier, but that has been fixed. I wouldn't call it game-breaking, so I didn't mention it before.

16. Josh Naipaul

Josh Naipaul New Member

Ahh okay, thanks dude...last night I did a little testing with the GX390 and lowered the break pressure from 95% to 80% and it helped a tiny bit so I'll do the 50% as you've stated. Thanks again.

17. Josh Naipaul

Josh Naipaul New Member

Okay so that worked! change brake pressure to 50%, which should be the default settings for these Karts to begin with cause it snaps the car at a high pressures. Did like 20 laps of practice and no failure of anything and I had everything set to Authentic and Full damage at 100%. Also did my first ever actual race of 10 laps of the GX390 at 100% AI and Aggression at 50% and won by 1.7 seconds..so much fun in VR..can't ever go back to regular 2D racing now. Thanks a lot guys for the help!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. sgsfabiano

Agreed that the default brake pressure should be much much lower than it currently is. I use 75% for the GX390, 2Stroke and Shifter.

The community here, however, strongly disagreed with me.

19. Josh Naipaul

Josh Naipaul New Member

Okay so I've doing a little bit more testing and this time with the GX390 Rental Karts on Speedland 1, and they seem fairly slow, even at 120 AI and 75 Aggression I'm still about half a second faster and that's just a couple of hours of testing, I'm getting in the mid 1:15s and they are still in the 1.16s and I barely touched set ups, just reduced Front Wing a bit...are all the Kart classes this slow? or it it just the GX390 Rental one.

20. DutchFireMan

DutchFireMan New Member

I love doing ai races with the super kart on normal tracks. I mean that thing is faster than 50% of all my the cars in the game so why not. But the ai! On a lot of tracks i am the only one finishing, takes away the fun. But to take a super kart to bathurst in vr (varjo aero) and a Motionplatform gets the adrenaline pumping