1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FFB & wheel oscillate

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Bull Shark, May 7, 2022.

1. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

Hi All,

How can I prevent the wheel heavy oscillate when l let go my wheel? first it is minor but it gets more and more and with more and more force. I experience this with the customs files as also with the Default and Default+ settings in-game. Any tips?
    I have A CSW V2.5 latest drivers.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

You've to hold it. Its normal.

3. Roland Van de Walle

Roland Van de Walle Member

20220507 2337491 - YouTube
    Why would that be normal???
    When i am standing still and press the brakes it gets worse, when i am in the grass i have no oscilations 20220508 0443321 - YouTube , to me there is something wrong there.
    Have been playing with dampersettings but does not do anything, if i put it at 0 or 100 makes no difference.
    Used to have this in RF2 as wel but dissapeared when they introduced different profiles for wheelbases.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Try testing with different Drift Mode (DRI) settings on the CSW 2.5. I have mine set to OFF, which I think is a nice compromise and only has mild oscillations at my FFB strength (see my signature for details). But if the oscillations are too strong for you, try setting DRI to -1. Fanatec themselves recommend -2, but that recommendation was written in 2020 before the FFB in AMS2 had settled properly.

Negative DRI adds a constant damper force to the wheel, at the cost of less countersteer force (which most sim-racers want to have a little bit of in order to quickly catch oversteer).

There is also a Damper setting in the FFB config in AMS2, but this is more "elastic" and not a constant damper. But you can try experimenting with this setting as well.

Caster setting in the car setup also affects wheel oscillations, if this is something you notice mostly with some specific cars.

Last edited: May 8, 2022
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Marius H

You can try Dri-off and use like 30 damper in game, but if you finish a race and press ESC there's suddenly no force so your wheel will go either left or right quickly. Kinda annoying.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Marius H

Because the game generates input and the wheel receives the output, so the wheel only have to feel 1 'notch' and it will fiddle a bit, but once it feels a notch again. It fiddles as well. So it's a '
    Pendulum'-effect. Cause it keeps bouncing. So little bounce, and if it feels no resistance it will bounce every further, and further till it bounces a lot and rapidly. If you hold the wheel it won't bounce cause there's resistance.

7. Bull Shark

Bull Shark Later has long since begun. AMS2 Club Member

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Will test the recommendations asap.
    As for the wheel and holding it, Sometimes I just want to set something and let the wheel go. It would be nice the wheel will stay put instead of oscillate.
    I have the DRI set to -2, perhaps I need to alter that one first.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Roland Van de Walle

I get what you are saying but its extreme in AMS2 in some cars, and pressing the brake should not give extra input to the steering wheel.
    Its also very weird that when i am in the grass with the gt4 mclaren the oscilations dissapear. 20220508 0443321 - YouTube

• Like Like x 1
  9. Martin Vindis

Martin Vindis Member AMS2 Club Member

In other sims this is usually eliminated by lowering the min force ffb, but I'm not sure if AMS2 has a option for this or if you have to use a custom ffb file for it.

10. Roland Van de Walle

Don't think the option is there in AMS2, I should be able to tune it out with the software of the SC2 as wel , have seen SC2 users who dont have the issue with the oscilations, but for me its not working. Have some other issues as wel wich i can't seem to solve , only in AMS2 i have these issues and they a got introduced after an update.( issues with wheelslip effect in simhub and performance settings in game )Have tried different things such as deleting the docs and reinstalling the game , deleting the docs of the SC2 and reinstalling, verified steam files, windows system check( DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth and sfc /scannow ) even did a clean instal of windows 10 and 11 but the the issues are always there when i install the game.

11. Merlin Cooper

Merlin Cooper New Member

Had the same issue with my DD wheel - engine switches on and my wheel gets nuts in the pits.

Did stop immediately with the Fanatec recommended settings. Then a little bit of fine tuning of the FFB strength did. get me a reasonable setup. Not the perfect but at least a starting point.

Automobilista 2 (PC) - Fanatec Recommended Settings

12. Augusto

Augusto Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I did some tire modeling, and the root cause of it is numerical error, simulation sampling rate and the lack of a lateral friction clamp on the total force calculated by the tires.

Reiza should consider putting a friction clamp based as a function of the tire physics sample rate. It worked wonders for me without affecting the tire response.