1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Is it possible that Reiza devs include those things as graphics options directly inside the AMS2 game so that we don’t have to mess around with third party apps? AMS2 should have the best VR experience/performance (again) out of the box IMHO…

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. WingmanBOT

WingmanBOT New Member

Open XR Toolkit is excellent for MSFS 2020 fps so looking forward to seeing what it could bring to AMS.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bjarne Hansen

Bjarne Hansen Member AMS2 Club Member

I would not know but doubt they have the expertise in that area.
    Anyway when the working OpenXR toolkit comes out which should be very soon there should not be any need for more fiddling.

• Like Like x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Richard Erb

Richard Erb New Member

I found that using the VRPerfKit outlined here A wired way to deploy vrperkit on AMS2 for Steamvr | Reiza Studios Forum actually does work.

5. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Based on feedback from the Reddit flight sim community, a developer adding native OpenXR is a big deal...if this indeed happens it will be a huge help to the VR experience which is already good.

6. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, already good, but not for night/rain…

7. WingmanBOT

WingmanBOT New Member

OpenXR toolkit has had a minor update that is supposed to stabilise Opencomposit compatibility. Is this the update we have been waiting for?

8. patrick le

patrick le New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hey everyone - I tried OpenXR 1.1.2 + latest release of OpenComposite and it works great!! I was able to play with it for a few hours and here are my thoughts:

1. Menus in VR headset don't work for AMS2. You have to take off your headset to see the navigate the menus. Not great but definitely doable and worth it.
    2. I followed the recommendation from @NuScorpii and went with the following settings:
    (Best setup I found was MSAA High, FFR mid ring 1/2 40%, outer ring 1/16 75-80%)
    3. I have a RTX 3080 and HP G2 was able to put Performance at 105% (I forget what that upscale resolution comes out to).
    4. I was mainly using OpenFSR 1.0 (following @Rob Davies guide here) but this mod is definitely more clear and provides better fps for me. Curious to get Rob's thoughts on this mod!

Thank you for all the hard work @NuScorpii and others. This is great for VR enthusiast!!

For setup info see link: OpenComposite OpenXR

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Stanj2

Stanj2 New Member

OpenComposite is a game changer for me in AMS2. The micro stutters are gone, distance viewing is much clearer and fps is excellent. Been waiting on GPU prices to come down so I can replace my GTX 1080TI but the improvement is helping the wait. I have used OpenComposite now on RF2 and PC2 also and it is great. Has anybody got it working in AC and ACC ? For me It crashes on load in those two sims.

10. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Well, OpenXR is very disappointing to me. Was wondering why I could not change the FFR settings in menu untill I read this:

The following OpenXR ToolKit features have additional restrictions:

• Fixed Foveated Rendering and Foveated Rendering are only supported with the following GPUs:
      • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1600 series and RTX series, both DX11 and DX12.
      • AMD RX 6000 series, with DX12 applications only.
    As a 6900XT owner this is quite annoying! Any idea if this will ever be supported for DX11 applications as well?

Back to FSR 1.1 for me I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

That's up to AMD I guess. They've only implemented support for variable rate shading for DX12. You can use fsr with OC and OpenXR toolkit, but there are some restrictions: OpenComposite OpenXR

12. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Unfortunately there are no real benefits from using opencomposite for AMD at the moment. FFR really is the killer feature.

I'm back to openfsr 1.1, which has the menu working making it more convenient.

It's a bummer, but it is what it is.

I seem to have some difficulty with maintaing 90fps, which is impossible on some tracks like SPA / nurburgring. There are sections where it dips. Hockenheim ring and Jerez for example work flawlessly 90fps.

Luckily I have automatic motion reprojection working quite well. You hardly notice when it kicks in nowadays I really have to look sideways at other cars or objects on the side to see the shimmer/judder realising that motion reprojection is on, which is nice.

Despite these inconveniences, I'm still in love with this game. With my new simrig (Simlab Evo GT1) and Simagic alpha mini it's absolutely amazing and such a joy to race!

13. Mikael Pettersson

Mikael Pettersson New Member

Any chance someone could do a step by step instruction video on how to set up Automobilista 2 with the Opencomposite and Open XR Toolkit? I cant seem to follow all the steps in the written format :(

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Any AMD users here?

I noticed that with the last driver 22.5.2 shadows are often "crushed" meaning you will have completely black textures when things are in the shadow.

I used to have flickering also, but this was fixed after a re-install

15. Bjarne Hansen

Bjarne Hansen Member AMS2 Club Member

I use only the dll so each game have to be set up individually. Have a WMR headset (Hp Reverb)
    Download and install OpenXR Toolkit
    Quickstart

Open this web page.
    Files · openxr · Campbell Suter (ZNix) / OpenComposite · GitLab
    Scroll down a little and download the 64bit dll of Openvr_api.dll

Open the folder: steam\steamapps\commonAutomobilista 2\x64
    Rename the openvr_api.dll to something else like openvr_api.org?
    Copy the newly downloaded openvr_api.dll into that x64 folder.
    in same x64 folder make a text file named opencomposite.ini
    copy this text into it.

admitUnknownProps=enabled

Save file make sure it doesn't get saved as .txt but as .ini

Run OpenXR Toolkit.
    Start Ams 2 in SteamVR
    It will now not start SteamVR but use OpenXR and should start faster and have better colors and feel more smooth.
    Use Crtl+F2 to open the Menu for OpenXR toolkit.
    Little hard to navigate before you get used to it as after 10 sec without key input is closes down the Menu again.
    For now the FSR and NIS upscaler prevents the Menu from showing in VR headset so I do not use that setting but you can change game resolution or use FFR to reduce GPU load.

For me the mouse doesn't work until I have been on track once but then the mouse works fine in the game menu.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Racer25

Racer25 New Member

I have a 6900xt and had terrible problems with the latest AMD drivers. Block shadows, blacked out gauges and all around poor performance. I went back to the 22.5.1 drivers and it seems to have sorted out most problems.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Mikael Pettersson

Mikael Pettersson New Member

I tried everything you wrote but when i start Automobilista 2 in Steam VR i get the message "could not start the game" "The program is already running"
    Also have a Reverb G2 and a 3080ti. Im running with motion reprojection on. (Perhaps this is the problem?)

Update!!
    After rebooting my computer i now get the message "unknown string property - dev; 0, prop: 1006" when i try to start the game from SteamVR.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  18. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

What do you mean when you say start the game 'from SteamVR'? You should be starting it from the Steam desktop client, selecting 'SteamVR mode'. If you try and launch from your headset within SteamVR, it's never going to work - the tool is there to bypass SteamVR, not use it.

If you've solved that problem, and are now just getting the unknown property error, then you haven't set up the opencomposite.ini file properly. Incorrect spelling or it's in the wrong place. In particular, make sure your file is called opencomposite.ini and not opencomposite.ini.txt

The openovr_log file should tell you where it's looking for the file and if it's found it. The log file will usually be in your steamapps/common/Automobilista 2 folder. If it isn't, look in the x64 folder.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  19. Rob Davies

Rob Davies Bobby Dazzler AMS2 Club Member

I got that error as I hadn’t started the WMR portal first. SteamVR will start WMR if not already running, but after this mod and using OpenXR you have to do it yourself first

20. Champrt78

Champrt78 Member

Hey guys, new to ams2 and VR. I'm up and running, but pretty lost in everything VR settings wise. Have a 3080 , 12600k, 32gb ram and a rift s. Can anyone suggest some settings to make it look even better?