1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GT3 McLaren spins easily after 8-10 laps?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Sting Ray, Jun 5, 2022.

1. Sting Ray

Sting Ray Member AMS2 Club Member

I seem to be able to drive this car fine for 8-10 laps but after that point I lose the back of the car very easily in slow corners, with the back pirouetting around with almost no warning. Tyres are sitting around 82-85 at this point and 93-94% wear.

I understand some drop off in grip but it becomes very hard to drive. I have front/rear shakers with simhub, configured to trigger on tyre slip, and the front works (vibrate) when the car understeers but the rear does nothing as the rear slides around (which I thought it would?l. Will setup changes help here ?

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

I drive this car a lot too and the same happens to me too. I just thought that as the fuel burns off the rear becomes lighter making it slippy. Also the car turns tyres into chewing gum if you aren't careful.

I thought this is how the real car would be to be honest.

3. Sting Ray

Interesting that you find the same. I spoke to a driver at the GT3 race earlier this year (Brands Hatch) and he said it was a nice car (720s) to drive and that they have to be accommodating of amateur drivers, thus are not as edgy as a car setup only for professionals might be. I would have thought that as they are designed for longer races, they would have less drop off than we are experiencing after less than 10 laps. As you say tyres may be an issue, but around 85 degrees would seem to be in the good window

4. Gazzawesty

I also feel that the track temp has a mega influence over the performance of the tyres but again it may be the same for the other gt3 as well as being true to life. I do notice that the Porsche seems to win most of the time so I might try that for a week or two.

5. Supa

Supa Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just did a race in a Mclaren GT3 and the tyres/tires were melted after 2 laps qualifying let alone in Race. How can this be possible when the Car has traction control and ABS?????

6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Feels like it has same accelerated blistering -issue that some of the earlier tyre models had.

7. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,
    The tires are one thing, but the thing that gets me is when tc is on,and you start having the rear come around, its almost impossible,for me, to recover. I turn tc off and I can recover.
    But, everyone will probably say, learn to drive:)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Daniel Goulart

Daniel Goulart New Member AMS2 Club Member

I dont know what version of the game you guys were playing, but after 1.3.6.2 the 720S becames way more stable to drive and now is certainly the most competitive GT3 in the game, not just a good hotlap car anymore. In altitude is absolutely dominant...
    This loss of traction due to tire heating or wear occours to any car of the game... And depending the way you drive (and the track conditions) it is really easy to overheat the tires, as you said.
    IMO this behavior just seems realistic, and it is possible to adjust your driving style to preserve the tires better.

9. Gazzawesty

On occasion the tyres are glowing red after two laps, other occasions perfectly fine. I just thought that the car was sensitive to heat so i drop pace by 30% ish when it's hot otherwise I won't see the end of the race.

I also have trouble sometimes with the back coming around... It feels like the traction control drives the car into a spin no matter what you do. I'm rubbish though so all this feedback may just be rubbish.

10. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

I was having trouble with the 720S GT3 a while ago, car had no grip, sliding all over the place, overheating tyres. I took screenshots of both my custom setups, loaded default setup and saved it, deleted all my custom setups in-game through the setup menu, then everything seem to work fine. Later I recreated my custom setups and saved them. Every time I play the game I load the default setup and save it, then load my custom setup. Not sure how to explain it but apparently there's something weird with setups in AMS2, probably related to the setup issues in PCars2.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Sting Ray

i am using the build that came out this weekend. Kyalami 21 06 21 means a track temp of 50. First 10 laps no tyre was ever over 85 degrees but then suffered a pirouette in turn 1 which was not catchable. TC was on 8. Tried same race with TC on 2 and pretty much the same thing happened, but this time i did catch the spin. Still find it hard to believe that cars built for endurance racing would be like this, but who knows. Simply going to avoid the GT3 cars now

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. LugNut

LugNut Active Member

Hi,
    Try it with tc off. Would love to know its not just me:)
    I only do mp and TT.

13. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Regulations for the 24h Nürburgring in 2022 granted only 29 sets of tyres per car. The winning Audi R8 drove 159 laps, average lap time 8:12+ minutes per lap.
    That means, one set of tires had to last up to 6 laps on the 24h layout... or 155 kilometers.

That's what they do RL.

For the future, from 2024 on, the maximum tire sets wil be reduced further to 60 tires, or 15 sets per cars for the 24h race. Those tires will have to last 300km.

Addendum:
    When will the classic DTM cars get the tire revision ?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  14. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

In these conditions, how are your brake temperatures? From what I can tell, when GT3 brake temperatures go over 650°C they start to affect tire temperatures significantly, and if over 700°C then cars such as the McLaren GT3 become unstable during braking.

Out of curiosity, have you tried setting the brake ducts to 100% open and see how that affects stability over time?

15. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried this yesterday. 10 laps at Nurburgring GP and by lap 4 I was spinning every time in T1 because the rears just lost grip randomly at the end of the braking zone. Rear temps were at best 90 C (turning yellow on the HUD widget) when it happened. Same thing happened a few times at the hairpin. Didn't test if this was helped or hindered by the TC settings (I ran the defaults I think). Nothing was turning red and in no way was I overdriving the car, temperature was in the 20's I think.

The heat sensitivity of tyres still seems overdone. No other sim has such fickle tyres that require driving with the telemetry HUD open constantly to monitor that you don't accidentally hit 90 C in the rear because the car will suddenly autobin.exe if you do.

• Agree Agree x 4
  16. Sting Ray

Azaris...am glad that i am not alone. My tyres never went over 85 and i managed 10 laps before the spins started. What is odd is that up until this point, I never felt like losing the back end AT ALL, then suddenly it spins around on you without any warning whatsoever. As others have said above, these cars should be able to go far longer on a set of tyres

17. Apex

Apex Active Member

I'm having a similar experience. I'm not 100% sure, but I think the cars with updated tyres are more prone to overheating. TC/ABS on or off does not make any difference, and I'm often in the yellow zone after a couple of laps.

I have no idea if this is more realistic or not as I'm (obviously) not a real race driver, and a mediocre sim racer at best, but it certainly makes the game more difficult.

18. Daniel Goulart

Daniel Goulart New Member AMS2 Club Member

You guys seriously dont feel the tires starting to slip? Because for me is pretty evident, specially after the 1.3.6 version.
    The league I race uses default setup only and accelerated tire wear. After 3 or 4 laps the car just starts to slide more on the corners and if you dont slow down a bit the car will just spin as you said

Last edited: Jun 7, 2022
  19. Sting Ray

In answer to earlier comment I was running the brake ducts at 80% and 80%. I do wonder if the quality of the wheel and the FFB settings make a difference for those who can feel the rear slip and those who cant. As i mentioned, my front bass shaker triggers with front wheel understeer (and can also be felt in the wheel), but the rear shaker does nothing when the rear loses traction (maybe it is not designed to), and my wheel (a lowly TM TMX) provides no feel/warning at all. I recall someone on here saying that the TMX is particularly lacking in simulating rear feel

Last edited: Jun 8, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Apex

Apex Active Member

I've practiced being a bit more smooth and go easy on the wheel with the F-Classics and it has paid off somewhat.

The thing is, I think, that when you have more downforce and grip than you're used to, you may fall into the habit of tossing the car around the corners, because you can, well, until you can't.

I still haven't figured out how to drive the Corvette C3 without deep frying the tyres though.