List of illuminated tracks that are safe to drive at night

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Roar McRipHelmet, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Many cars in AMS2 don't have headlights. Sometimes you can end up in situations where you suddenly find yourself having to drive such a car at night -- a session set to 00:00 by accident, misjudging dawn/dusk times due to a season change, miscalculated time acceleration settings, et cetera. In such cases, it would be nice to know what tracks that are still safe to drive on at night even with a car that doesn't have headlights. That's why I made a list of these tracks below.

Safe:
    • Azure
    • Buskerud
    • Cleveland
    • Daytona (chicane a bit dark)
    • Granja Viana
    • Hockenheim (modern GP only)
    • Kansai
    • Londrina Kart tracks
    • Long Beach
    • Road America
    • Speedland
    • Watkins Glen

Manageable with good displays (e.g. VR) and some concentration:
    • Galeão
    • Interlagos Kart tracks - soft light, and dark tires are used as barriers
    • Jerez - soft light, 3 corners are dark but drivable if you know the track
    • Ortona - soft light, pit exit can be difficult

Honorable mentions that could be playable with some fixes:
    • Adelaide - some areas such as the final corners and chicane are pitch black
    • Interlagos GP - pit exit is dark, and although apexes are illuminated, you must know the track well
    • Montreal - 2 corners in Sector 1 are pitch black
    • Nürburgring GP and shorter layouts - section from Schumacher-S to chicane is dark
    • Tarumã - Curva Tala Larga is pitch black

Note that I'm only referring to how well-lit a track is, not other aspects such as performance hits due to all the light sources.

Tested by driving a Superkart at 02:00 in Overcast conditions, in VR using low graphics settings and shadows off. Let me know if I made any errors or if I missed anything.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. MasterLooser

MasterLooser Greyhat DWORD Developer Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

a little warning before u load onto the track could be put in place, saying that the car you are about to drive wont have lights (if session can hit a certain time or brightness)

that way you dont have to memorize all the tracks/cars, some of the cars look like they have lights but then turns out its just stickers XD

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

In general, I find that the circuits lack light during the night. If I compare with Project Cars 2, it's quite obvious (look at Snetterton, Red Bull Ring, Nurburgring...). And I find that a shame because personally, I find that night races with Formula 1 cars bring something else special.
    Take a snowy night circuit on Project Cars 2, it's magic. Visually, it's stunning.
    I hope Reiza looks at this point and also brings the Snow season.

4. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I think long beach is amazing at night. The street lights around not-Monaco are too dim. F1 game does a better job of this

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

yes I agree: Long Beach at night is very pretty. Concerning Monaco, Project Cars 2 does much better so the madness engine is capable. Adelaide, Montreal have Street Light concerns as well. But not just street circuits. Reiza really needs to watch this light concern because it ruins the party. And when it's done, add the Singapore circuit please.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Flying_Hawkic

Flying_Hawkic Member

Good initiative, but it would be even better if the game gives a warning.

You can add Donington to the unsafe tracks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

yes you are right about Donington. Is Reiza aware of these light issues? Are there plans for improvement in the future? There are other things to fix, I know but it would be good to know if it will be done.

8. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

When a track like Donington or Nordschleife has no flood lighting, it's not an issue, it's by design.

Some tracks require you to have headlights, it is what it is, or headlights would be pointless for all racing cars anyway.

• Agree Agree x 5
  9. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

I agree with you if the original circuit has no lighting. I'm mainly talking about the lack of lights on circuits like Monaco, Montreal, Adelaide. Lighting in Monaco, for example, does not illuminate enough or at least, much less than in reality. Will there be a change at this level in the future?

10. Shriukan

Shriukan Touristenfahrten Community AMS2 Club Member

I have yet to do Monaco at night so I can't give my opinion, but I do want to ask then if it is indeed less illuminated than what we see in the video below (granted it's a bit old already)? I know we shouldn't expect floodlights like in Bahrain or Singapore so I wonder what level of illumination you expect.

11. Seb02

Seb02 Active Member

I let you do the test yourself and you tell me. In my opinion, the intensity of Monaco's urban light is too low. The same is true for Adelaide and Montreal. And for the other non-urban circuits, I do not complain that there is no lighting. It is when it is present, it is of too low intensity. Daytona and Long Beach are ok.

12. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

At the car select screen, within the specs, there is a headlight simple "yes/no" field.

Maybe Reiza could add at the track description how well it's illuminated.