AI session times

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by F1Aussie, Jun 18, 2022.

1. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi all, just curious to know if anyone else experiences this.
    I have noticed that when I start a practice session for a race weekend the AI usually do their fastest times right at the beginning of the session and then very rarely go faster after that whereas I cannot usually match their times until late in the session once the track has rubbered in.

Is this because the AI run in simplified physics and track conditions do not affect them or is this a bug?
    Cheers

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Jugulador

Jugulador Well-Known Member

When (if) I do the best lap depends more on car/track combo than the rubber on track. But you are right about they, at some point, stop to improve their best lap. Today I sat a one hour training with P4 cars at Canada... around twenty minutes I made the fastest lap and the AI at 2nd didn't improve the time anymore, but don't know about other positions. I keep practicing and improving my time, but the AI, even still on track, stopped right there.

I believe that it happens because probably Reiza gave a cap to how fast an AI can go and it comes too soon on training.

My fell is that the AI is not able to strategize at all on long races, what is a shame. I remember playing the good old Dirt to Daytona for PS2 (fkng PS2, man... an ancient sim) and used to go 100% racing lengths because the AI in this game do strategies. You see AI drivers changing their pace around the race (usually the last laps are all banzai around the middle of the grid and the front runners trying a stead pace to don't make mistakes) and it adds a huge dynamic.

I will be very frank here. I wish ever racing sim plagiarizes the career mode and AI dynamics of DtD, but fells that all studios gone exactly to the opposite way. Please, if you people didn't played this game or didn't raced 100% length, just do it... now. It's the same studio that made the NASCAR Thunder series, but these games are sooooooo fkng different where it matters. Just try it and you will understand. Specially you, Reiza staff. You need it before begin to develop AMS2 career mode, so you won't go to the generic way that every modern sim go. And, also, copy DtD AI dynamics... it's worth!

Abração!

• Like Like x 2
  3. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Sounds like the way it was in every ISIMotor sim that I have played. The AI come out, do one quick lap and then never come out again or at least don't improve their times. The grid order is decided within the first five minutes. Unrealistic, but at least it lets you run the qualifying session quickly instead of sitting there for an hour waiting for the AI to improve.

• Like Like x 1
  4. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I hope there is some tweaking that can be done here but if not it isn't a deal breaker.

5. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

The problem is, if you use custom AI to balance out the cars in a class and skip the qualifying after 5 minutes when everyone had done their first few laps and then skip the last 15 or 25 minutes or whatnot, it gets simulated without taking the car performance into account.

So I did custom AI for GT1 where the Porsche are so much slower than the Mercs that I have to run the Porsches between 0.87 and 1.00 on most tracks while the Mercs are between 0.60 and 0.75 to get them to perform similar, so when I then simulate the rest of the qualifying session, all the Porsche drivers are suddenly the fastest, improving by more than a second as they have their values set higher than the Mercs and McLaren.

• Agree Agree x 1