1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Automobilista 2 Custom Force Feedback - Overview & Recommendations

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Karsten Hvidberg, May 30, 2020.

1. Roy Jones

Roy Jones New Member

This I suspect is true for alot of people playing ams2 .
    This is I suspect true for alot of players of ams 2 . Totally agree with this . The default ffb is good actually,but you end up going down the pcars 2 rabbit hole of tweaking and messing with the settings instead of actually playing. Kind of similar to the car setups. I suppose we should be glad we have the option to mess with the ffb

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Theo Lupu

Theo Lupu Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Tried Atmos on my Simucube 2 Pro. Feels very muted, 0 suspension feel and barely any detail, i cant feel the front end at all if there's grip or not, it just feels like a very strong centering spring with some sprinkle of curb shaking which is interesting. Going back to Silverraw Rfuktor 4.6 for now.

Does anyone know if the ffb in AMS2 is physics based? This seems like its entirely canned effects. When R3E went from canned to physics based with very little adjustment and it helped the sim tons.

EDIT: That being said a gent in my Discord used it for his Fanatec DD1 and he seems to love it. Interesting how these can be hit or miss for different DD wheels.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

As far as I know, it is all physics based. Did you try the file by Danielkart?

4. tk84

tk84 Member AMS2 Club Member

I mean this just sums up FFB in a nutshell and how it’s so hard for everyone involved. And its a shame because the FFB makes such a difference to your experience of the game. Whilst technically it doesn’t affect the 'physics' of the game, it does affect how you connect with the car and interpret how the physics are affecting the car.

It must be hard for devs to take on feedback about car handling, when there will undoubtedly be such a difference between everyones FFB experience. Even if we weren’t talking about custom files, there's now two default profiles, each with four sliders (gain, lfb, fx, damping) and then pretty much every wheel base has its own software with any number of settings. I can't do the maths but with that number of settings alone you must have how many combinations of different settings?

Then how many people have wheel bases with interchangeable rims? The rim type makes a really big difference to feel, I have quite a heavy fully round leather rim with button box, compare that with exactly same settings but to another smaller, lighter F1 style rim I have with much firmer grips and its like boosting the FX slider 15 points or so.

And the big thing is all the various settings in game and wheel base can completely transform the feeling, it’s not just small tweaks they make, you can completely transform the feel, and ultimately you can very easily ruin the feeling you get. And thats the trouble is that its very easy to do this accidentally because of the number of combination of settings you can choose from and the fact is a lot of it - I feel - is like guesswork? Obviously it is easier for bases that only come with a fixed rim as that makes one element a bit more fixed, so if you copied someones settings exactly - in game and on wheel, then it should get pretty close..

..but even then, what if that person has chosen those settings for a F1 car and you drive older tin tops, FFB changes a fair bit between car too... Then you have possibly even the biggest factor which is that it’s not really black and white what the 'best' FFB actually is! Someone might want a hyperactive wheel giving as much texture as possible, someone else prefers a lighter wheel closer to a road car.

Comes back to that 'guesswork' thing again, theres a lot of helpful advice on the forum about ideal settings and even what the sliders do, but is there - is it even possible - to know with 100% certainty exactly what every slider in game and on your wheel base does and how they interact with each other? Unless you can be sure they are from an exact like for like set up, and aiming for the same type of FFB you are after, just relying on copy and pasted slider values (and ultimately custom ffb files too) can delivery such varied results.

Now I'm not saying this is impossible, and there are a lot of clever people on here who know an awful lot more about this - this is all just my opinion - but in an ideal world you'd be able to know exactly how each slider affects your experience and really use the incredibly powerful control they give you to really tailor your FFB. I can see how it must be hard for Reiza, because yes they could certainly provide a bit more detail about what each of the sliders in game exactly do, but then how do you still account for the variety of wheel bases each with their own settings? I guess dream is you could have some sort of test / set up wizard, where you could perhaps be asked about what type of feedback you want to feel, and then you could adjust sliders and see how they affect..

I don't really know whats possible to be honest, its just I feel its such a massive part of the game - I don't exact stats as to how many people use a wheel, and how many people consider FFB to be an important aspect of the handling of a car, but I'd have to assume its certainly the majority of users and I really feel like good or conversely bad FFB can transform how a car feels. Could situations where cars are deemed unpredictable or to have bad handling actually be improved with clearer FFB when it was unintentionally being set too low, or over damped or perhaps even over processed?

Anyway, thank you for coming to my TED talk...

• Like Like x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

FFB is physics based,
    Every now and then I Try a custom FFB-file, but don't like them as much as I like the build in Default-FFB, it seems the best match for my SimuCube 2 Pro

• Like Like x 1
  6. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

hello tk84! Thank you for your analysis and I agree with many of your statements. To your last question. Yes, I think you can achieve better performance with good ffb (physics and customization), even with a difficult car. And the most important thing, everyone should take what he likes. Whether default or custom greetings

7. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I've been using the custom+ FFB file for many months and with only 32 gain, nothing else, but this latest iteration in the beta so far is pretty numb and uninformative by comparison noticed most on the Prototypes which I understand are still WIP, but the Porsche Cup is also a bit numb front end too with my gear and settings. The M1 Procar is just an absolute dream to drive and feels like a very expensive supercar with a full race spec should feel, respond and perform like. :cool:

8. Danielkart

Custom file V38 Small intervention in the file with great effect. The stability and wobble of some cars has been greatly improved. I wish you a lot of fun

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 16
  9. kbasic

kbasic New Member

I've been experimenting with several custom files with the DD2 wheel base and I just wonder what settings are other people are using in Fanalab as well as in game?
    My settings are as follows:
    FFB 80
    FFS Peak
    NDP 20
    NFR off
    NIN off
    INT 1
    FEI 20
    SPR off
    DPR 50
    In game settings:
    Gain 30
    Low force 0
    FX 30
    Damping 20
    My setting feel great but I would love to learn what others are using to perhaps improve my settings.

10. Theo Lupu

I get crazy oscillation on mine if i use either of the defaults, less detail than the rfuktor too.

11. Theo Lupu

Just did and its EXCELLENT, new best for me i think.

12. kbasic

kbasic New Member

I personally enjoy this custom file very much as it brings out many details in track and car through the wheel. Thank you very much for the file and continue the good work brother. Job well done. The file was created by DanielKart

Attached Files:

13. SlowBloke

SlowBloke Member

I think you are definitely on to something here :)

I have only tried a few cars and although my mind was a little horrified seeing FEI so low in the first variant to my surprise it was not bad at all.... Not particularly realistic feel wise compared to the real thing due to the low damping but sim racing wise it is accurate, informative and allows for quick response.

Variant 2 is also very doable for me and my DD1 although very different in feel due to the damping which makes it more realistic from what I have felt at Oulton Park in a very low powered single seater.

For whatever reason I have been falling out of love with the 5xxx/rfuktor files - with the various game patches and changes in fanatec firmware drivers where I used to swear it was the best FFB I ever felt (vs iracing, rf2, pc2, ac, acc, etc..) it now seems woolly (Im really bad at explaining what I feel but know what I do and dont like)....

is it possible for me to reduce/smooth out the slip/skid feelings ?

Will definitely be following any updates on these - thank you very much for your efforts :)

14. Danielkart

Hello slowbloke! Thank you for your feedback. I think the custom is now at a point where I won't change much anymore. I'll post something bigger tomorrow that I noticed today. After that I will enjoy and drive more because now I am very happy with the custom. And of course everyone can customize the file to their liking and taste. I've also gotten a lot of positive private feedback from Belt base owners, so the file seems to work well for all types of bases. thank you and have a nice evening:)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Danielkart

Custom V39 1.) Some fine adjustments for tear and scrup and other minor improvements( subjectively my sensations) 2.) Dynamic acceleration feel adapted for less slipping when accelerating. 3.) Slide values adjusted for less slipping in fast elongated corners (Formula cars easy to feel) 4.) The road unevenness on the track and next to the track could be reintegrated for a long time without creating unwanted side effects or anomalies

16. Danielkart

Of course, everything can be changed to your own taste. For me, the file is now so adapted that I am very satisfied. Of course, this can change again if Reiza or Karsten bring new updates or improvements. I wish you a lot of fun with it and see you soon greetings from Daniel:)

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 12
  17. Sims Alabim

Sims Alabim Member AMS2 Club Member

Thanks! This works really well with a G29 as well, with some tweaking to taste. It's awesome that you BIG BRAIN-peoples around here are putting so much effort into explaining what "all the numbers" do in these files.
    Great fun being able to alter code, feel really smart, and actually enhance the driving experience! As i'm using a simple tactile setup as well, it's great being able to "match" the FFB with the tactile stuff.
    I don't have license, haven't driven a car in maybe 10 years, but i can confirm that everything feels 100% realistic ;)
    Anyways. In the (great) files from Stakanov, there's a bit more information/instructions making tweaking easier for noobs like me, not understanding code. What about we (well, you..) collaborate in expanding this bit some more? Like a tutorial to go with all the files? I'm shure there's lotsa big brains around here that can help with explanations, translations etc. Just a thought!
    Thanks again Daniel, and to everyone else contributing!
    Also, Mr. Stakanov! Been using your files, and following your updates for a while. I find it quite remarkable that by just reading your posts and comments, on a forum about some pretty obscure custom force feedback files, i find you to be a very inspiring character! I'm pretty sure i'm not alone ;)

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. SlowBloke

SlowBloke Member

5 very different cars so far and all felt great.

Notable improvement on your last one especially in the skid/slip areas.

Without your file I was losing interest in AMS2 (no diss to Reiza here its all very personal on ffb) - so a big thank you from me :)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. Devid

Devid New Member

i have tried many ffb files for my t300, but i can't get a good feeling with the ffb, compared to ac and acc. i am forced to delete this wonderful game.

20. Danielkart

Hello everyone! Actually, I thought my file would be pretty final now. But I was able to add a very good improvement. I was always against the yaw in the file because there were anomalies especially with dd bases. But now I was able to integrate it again together with dynamic yaw in terms of weight. The result is excellent stability of the Chasis during fast steering movements.

• Like Like x 2