1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. SwaggerJacker

SwaggerJacker Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, according to Mr. Bull Shark, none of this can be fixed until Reiza secures a few quantum computers. Basically stating that our posts are moot.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Unster

Unster New Member

That doesn't make sense. The AI just needs to be tweaked to be more aware of other vehicles around it, especially when the other vehicle attempts to pass. I thought that's what the aggression setting is for, but I didn't notice any difference with it.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SwaggerJacker

Like today. Having a decent race at Hockenheim against AI with GT1 cars. Starting the 4th lap AI Aggression set to 25, AI skill set to 100. About a third of my car is ahead of the AI nearing turn 1, and the bastard punts me. No other vehicles near us. Day one shenanigans. Took the air out of my racing balloon.

4. Enzo Augusto

Enzo Augusto New Member

I'm in love with Automobilista 2, a VR game, but there's one thing that bothers me a lot, the AI is extremely bad, for example I downloaded the 1991 car (mod) and the updated AI, I see in the F-Classic_Gen3 file that the settings they are perfect, but in the game I see that this does not represent very well because for example in the classification if Senna (who is the best) is behind an Alex Caffi (one of the worst) he cannot pass at all, he is back to behind making horrible times, in the race too, there is no overtaking... this part is disappointing.

5. JavierZumaeta

JavierZumaeta Active Member

I feel like the AI at modern Montreal is waaay too fast, and aggressive. The way they jump over the curbs at the last chicane, for instance, reminds of pCARS2. I don't see this in other tracks. Is this something others have noticed?

• Agree Agree x 5
  6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The player can do the same, even if track cut penalties are on, and totally fly through the entire chicane. So some fixes are in order.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2022
  7. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Yes. I had a post on it one page back. Right now it's on my "don't race there" list, at least with Formula cars. (Although it's one of my least favorite tracks to start with since I hate chicanes. :))

8. Maser V6

Maser V6 Assume nothing._ Verify everything._Have fun AMS2 Club Member

Try running the aggression at /or above 80 they are programmed differently above 80, it will happen less. **Still track specific and wip with tire changes

Last edited: Jun 24, 2022
  9. SwaggerJacker

Thanks for the reply. The AI is set this low as it actually limits the AI doing funky crap during races. I'd love to have it at 100. But then it's wreckfest. It just depends on who's asking, or answering. I've seen both, "turn aggression up", turn aggression down. It doesn't matter. AMS2 in my opinion has by far, the worst AI. I don't bother with iFleecing er iRacing enough to comment on that sim.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

In Bathurst, AI has some magic grip when driving through the Esses down the hill, where they tend to try crazy attacks in those narrow spots and ram player into the wall. They love to produce carnage there when racing each others, too.

A horrible experience with open wheelers, because they always go for your rear tyres in this section.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

Porsche Cup AI brakes very early on most circuits (At least on Nurburgring Veedol / Monza / Jerez)

AI setting 105 / Aggression 60

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. Unster

Unster New Member

AI still lacks awareness of the player in many situations. It makes no effort to prevent me from passing, especially as it brakes early. It also casually rams me off the track from behind. But if you try to ram them off, they instantly counter & resist. They act like ghost car replays but with collision.

Maybe the whole approach to AI needs to be scrapped and have them be subject to and learn to handle the same physics as the player, kind of a learning/flexible AI rather than this rigid pre-recorded AI that the game seems to have. Not sure if that's how it really works but it gives that impression.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. SwaggerJacker

I've found that quite often, the AI in front of me brake early, and the AI behind me have reverse thrusters to aid in slowing them down. JK. Having said all of these things, AMS2 is still my favorite sim. I love the tracks of Brasil and Portugal. The content is a bit different. I just love it.

14. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

There are a few main issues left:
    - AI does not know how to overtake on the inside. They rather force their way through on the outside before corners. The opposite of the manoeuvres we see in real life races most of the time. Leads to forming huge pack of cars on track during races.

- In Qualifying, the all leave pits quite soon one after another and because of their overtaking inabilities, they form huge trains there, too, blocking each others.

- They do strange lateral moves quite often when player is already on their side.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.3.8.2
    Car: Formula V10 Gen2
    Track: Spielberg
    AI Strength: 100
    AI Aggression: 10
    Weather when the issue was observed: Dry
    Type of session when the issue was observed: 18-lap race

-At around 19:00 AI that's leading the race starts losing time due to backmarkers,
    -At around 20:00 I noticed that AI backmarkers are fighting the AI that's leading the race as opposed to slowing down and letting him pass,
    -At 20:45 the AI that's leading makes a sudden change of direction in the braking zone,
    -At 21:30 AI backmarker fights with me for position as opposed to slowing down and letting me pass.

Imo there have been some AI improvements in recent patches but I was surprised I caught up to backmarkers after only 18 laps and even more surprised backmarkers were fighting the leaders for position.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.3.8.2
    Car: F-USA Gen2
    Track: Any
    AI Strength: Any
    AI Aggression: Any
    Weather when the issue was observed: Dry
    Type of session when the issue was observed: Race

AI is far too slow on the straights, I just easily blast by.

17. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Please tell me the tracks you have tried.

18. Dicra

Interlagos GP
    Jacarepagua 2005
    Imola 1988
    Watkins Glen GP

I thought that four tracks with the exact same patterns were enough for the "any" label.

I did change the wing to 23-32 from 26-32, because I found the default undrivable, but that does not explain time gains of ~0,6 seconds on the straights, I think.

One interesting thing of note is that, upon reading your post, I also tested the straight line speed on Spa, and while I was still a little faster than the AI (but that could be down to slipstream) on the straights, it was not as extreme as in the four tracks I tested.
    Also, the pattern emerges that, while I also seem to have a higher end speed, I'm especially quicker than the AI when revving out gears 3, 4 and 5.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Dicra

Just on the subject of the AI ... was driving with the F-USA Gen1 on Silverstone 2020 and lost 5-7 tenths out of the two big traction zones in S3 and S1 (after the chicane complexes each).

Is that HUGE discrepancy out of nearly every sharp corner going to be addressed? It seems such a consistently happening issue and has been for years with nearly all formula cars, which makes it hard to understand why the AI is not generally slowed down on slow corner exits?
    The above was not the only occasion I noticed this, and most certainly not the only car, but the most obviously egregious.

EDIT: Nurburgring GP, out of the chicane, ~0.7 second time loss.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  20. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Same deal for any car class out of the final hairpin onto the start/finish straight at Donington. The higher power the class, the more the AI can lay that power down without any hassles.
    The problem of AI being too slow into corners and too fast out of them is something that might be addressed now that the physics and tyres have settled.

• Agree Agree x 1