1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

Isn't 1:15 ten seconds slower than 1:05?

2. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.3.8.3
    Car: Any
    Track: Oulton International
    AI Strength: 85-95
    AI Aggression: 50
    AI are back to their old tricks trying to pass the player up the inside on the grass and eating the bollards at Brittons and Hislops, usually taking the player out but then driving off completely unaffected by the collision.

3. Matus Celko

Matus Celko Active Member

o_O Yes, it is. Don't ask me how I didn't noticed... and only got focused on the 5, and rest part...... Am I an idiot? :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. MrShroom

MrShroom New Member

• Car / Track used: Copa Classic FL Puma at Ecuador
    • AI Strength setting: 105
    • AI Aggression setting: 100
    • Session Distance: 11 laps
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Dry sunny
    • Player Tyre: Standard? I did not change it.
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Race

During a dry race at Ecuador with the Copa Classic FL Puma I was a lot faster than all other cars (including AI Puma's) on the straights. Like a lot a lot.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Eduardo Costa

Eduardo Costa New Member AMS2 Club Member

Warning: Bad English

I am a offline gagmer, fan of mods that simulate formula 1 seasons

AI Strength: 100
    AI Agression: 50
    Formula Classic GEN3
    Ayrton Senna and Alain Prost have 0.999 Race Skill and 0.100 Qualifying Skill
    Other Cars have race Skill between 0.400 and 0.100 and Qullifying Skill 0.900

Interlagos 71 laps

Senna and Prost in the back of Grid.

Despite the race's ability to be much greater, Senna and Prost have an extreme difficulty in overtaking, and that's what I'm talking about when it's 1x1. If Senna or Prost have 2 slow cars in front (1x2) they simply don't have the slightest idea how to overtake, usually they are exchanging positions with the slower cars without being able to take the lead.

I have tested with agression 100% and Strenght 120% but the dificult to overtake persists.

We are talking about interlagos, which has 2 major overtaking points and is a fast circuit

these same test I did with other categories (Extreme, Retro, V10, V12), same results.

You do a Better Job with Automobilista1 and Stock Car Extreme,
    Come on guys, you can do better, See Rfactor (1 and 2) or Project Cars.

I'm sore Reiza Guys, but, at this moment, offline game is unplayable.

6. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Idk if this will be relevant post v1.4, but in v1.3.8.3 the ai try to murder each other before eau rouge

7. tpw

Car: Porsche Cup 3.8
    Track: Oulton International
    AI Strength: 85-95
    AI Aggression: 50
    AI keep driving with no reduction in pace after losing the back wing

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Car: Mini 1965
    Track: Any
    AI Strength: Any
    AI Aggression: Any

AI have way more cornering grip than the player, impossible to keep up. Trying to follow the AI in fast corners the player will start drifting sideways while AI will go around like on rails.

• Agree Agree x 3
  9. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Formula Retro Gen 3:

AI in Turbo cars are still able to rocket full blast out of slow and mid fast corners like on rails without having any troubles with grip whilst the player is fighting with grip loss and has to be careful when having the foot on the throttle.

Even if those artificial buddies miss the racing line completely, they can exit in rocket mode.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

In Monza 1991, the AI still tend to cause huge carnage because of their inability to make clean overtakes on the inside. They try to go side by side through the chicanes (de Rettifilo, della Roggia, Ascari) all the time and the car on the outside is forcing it's way through which leads to crashes and very often a huge pileup afterwards (because cars off track force their way back completely blind for traffic).

Edit: Similar in modern version of Monza GP. Instead of letting another car pass, the AI rather jump over sausage curbs like crazy and cause crashes and pile ups.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 2
  11. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yep, still a lot to do to the AI.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Finally, someone should take care about the basics:

- AI shall stop forcing their way through on the outside in order to avoid an overtake by going over the grass or cutting track and ramming player out
    - AI should finally learn how to overtake each others properly on the inside
    - They should suffer from extreme (not a little bit) grip loss just like player when being off track
    - AI still can rocket out of corners, no matter how poor their entry was
    - On many tracks, car in front somehow is braketesting player in curves whilst car from behind tries a crazy attack
    - AI still completely blind for player in many situations
    - When losing their car, they come back to track just if player was not there
    - They should learn to hold a line on straights without doing their strange lateral moves all the time. When player is actually beside, they just come over.

Game is more than 2 years old now, would be nice if somebody would finally take care about such things. Come on Reiza, you can do better!

Last edited: Aug 18, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 6
  13. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

In many classes, the simplified physics of the AI need a rework.
    Example: F_Classic_Gen 1 ( the turbos): When you drive at Spa 1993, the exit of bus stop chicane is bumpy and player has to be careful on the throttle. AI can go full blast there, just as if those tricky bumps did not exist.

14. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Is somebody working on AI's behaviour in their in- and outlap, where they block and fight players like hell just for...nothing in qualifying?

15. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

As far as I remember that's not so far off reality. :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

If real race drivers acted like the AI, blocking/attacking on every in- or outlap, they would be banned from the series quite soon. :D

17. XTRMNTR2K

XTRMNTR2K I WANNA GO FAST! AMS2 Club Member

While my initial time spent with 1.4 yesterday was limited to solo practice runs, I decided to spend some time doing actual offline races today. Unfortunately it appears that the state of the AI - at least in the scenarios that I have tried so far - is still in a poor state, despite the efforts to improve it to a properly raceable level.
    • Car / Track used: F-Ultimate Gen 2 / Spa 2022
    • AI Strength setting: 85
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): Bus Stop chicane and La Source
    • AI Aggression setting: Medium
    • Session Distance: 8 laps
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Light Rain (Moist), Overcast (Moist)
    • Player Tyre: Intermediate / Soft Slick
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): ???
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): All sessions
    The AI still has considerable inconsistencies in performance vs. the player. In (supposedly) moist track conditions I chose to use Intermediate tires, which seemed appropriate. However, the AI outperformed me in Practice by several seconds (best I could manage was P10) while I was using this tire, so I suspect the AI may have been using soft slicks instead, which I later discovered to be the faster tire at the time (the track was almost completely dry, the description of it being moist was misleading!).

Moreover, despite being overall faster than the AI by ~1.5 seconds over the course of a race lap, AI drivers continue to pull away unnaturally when accelerating out of the Bus Stop chicane and La Source. No matter how fast I am through either, and how well I manage to keep the optimum amount of traction under acceleration, the AI will always outperform me.

Last but not least, even at Agression level "Medium" the AI seems to have no regard for avoiding contact with the player at all. I had to restart the race at least 7 or 8 times because no matter how good my start from pole position was, the AI usually caught up to me within the first couple of turns and proceeded to initiate contact despite my best attempts to avoid it, usually resulting in race-ending damage (damage setting was high, which appears to make open-wheelers overly sensitive to even the slightest touch). At one point, I was going through Eau Rouge, and two AI drivers sandwiched me left and right - the left one even partially drove beside the track when entering Eau Rouge and trying to overtake, without slowing down no less!

One more thing I noticed is that AI cars seem to behave odd whenever a player approaches from behind. So far I've tried both the F-Ultimate Gen 2 and F-Vintage Gen 2, and throughout both race weekends the AI would usually slow down when I was approaching from the rear, sometimes even braking mid-corner or braking far too early before a corner. In one case, an AI suddenly made a (forced?) mistake and lost the rear at Historic Kyalami (Clubhouse Bend, T5), resulting in me colliding with the out of control car in front of me.

Needless to say, at least for the Open-Wheelers and track combinations that I have tried, the AI is not yet in a state that I consider even remotely ready for racing. More often than not it appears the AI will actually actively attempt to make contact with the player, as crazy as it sounds.

18. bobbie424242

bobbie424242 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

wet weather tires & wet AI performance calibration is being worked on. See Renato latest changelog.
    So I would not race in wet until it is done.

19. tpw

Version: 1.4.1.0.2136.AVX
    Car: Any
    Track: Oulton Park
    Report: AI now overpowered on this track
    For several years this was my benchmark AMS2 track for well calibrated AI, because at AI difficulty 90-95 it had a few regions where the AI were fast (eg Lakeside) and a few areas where you could make some time on them (eg Druids) - similar to most other tracks. With the latest physics and AI calibrations, this is no longer the case, and there is basically nowhere to compete with the AI even at difficulty 90. On the vast majority of tracks and cars, this difficulty will give me 0.5 - 1.5 sec/lap advantage on the AI, sufficient to make a podium from midfield start in a 5 lap race in the dry. Not on Oulton. To compete on this track I now have to turn the difficulty down to 85 or less, and/or overdrive and dive bomb into hairpins.
    As a bonus, AI will routinely eat the bollards and trigger an FCY if racing each other or the player through Britten's or Hislops.

20. Deuce

Deuce BANNED BANNED

AI Unable to complete a lap > 90% of the time...
    • Version: V1.4.1.1.2139.avx
    • Car / Track used: Kart 125cc 2Stroke & Kart 125cc Shifter / Granja Viana (All variations)
    • AI Strength setting: 70, 75, 85, 95, & 120
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): Turn 1
    • AI Aggression setting: ALL (Low, Medium, High, Max)
    • Session Distance: Any/All Lap(s)
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Light Cloud, Dry, 1mph, 66F, 83F, 10am
    • Player Tyre: Default
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): Default
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Practice, Quali, and Race
    Issue: Pretty much every AI Kart spins out in T1 all by themselves pretty much every lap... (crash fest)