1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. Nubio Henrique Freitas

Nubio Henrique Freitas Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: 1.4.1.0.2136.AVX
    Car: F-USA Gen1
    Track: Fontana Oval
    Report: AI is unable to complete a lap on this track. All cars lose track control. This also includes the player's cars.
    On F-USA Gen2 and F-USA Gen-3 cars it seems to me that the AI is now overpowered.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. stlutz

stlutz Active Member

This post provides a good jumping off point for me. In the months after 1.3 was released I had multiple posts on this forum and elsewhere where I talked about how much I was enjoying the AMS2 AI. That started declining after the spring as tires were getting updated for the cars but there were no updates to the AI performance, meaning that the racing which had been very good had gotten out of whack. Meanwhile, no work was being put into the problems with the AI that I figured would get worked at some point.

I had hoped 1.4 would at least bring things back to where they were back when 1.3 came out. After playing for several days, I have to say that while the driving experience is very enjoyable (as it was after 1.3), the racing experience is simply not fun at all. If I can say, drive through a corner at 80kph it kind of ruins the race when the AI car slows down to 30, and then powers out of the corner as if it had 3000 horsepower and super-ultra-max-soft tires. Indy Cars have always been my favorite form of motorsport. I can't think of a time that drivers in that series ever thought of trying to go 3 wide through Canada corner. And they don't just ram into the back of another driver if they think they are going too slow. AI cars think there is no grip to pass on the inside--even if I try to be safe and let someone on the inside of me complete the pass, they will brake 100 meters too early and give up on the pass. Meanwhile another car will the come racing around the outside with unlimited grip.

The change in 1.4 to have cars pull dirt onto the pavement when they go off track was a nice little detail to add. But when the AI are routinely driving through the grass (with no loss of traction), it makes for an absurd result. 3 laps into a race in Imola the track surface is brown from edge to edge and the track has very little grip. Reiza knows that the AI-through-the-grass thing was a visual quirk that maybe didn't mess things up too much before, but they implemented this "physics enhancement" knowing that it would further break single-player racing.

It's become clear to me that AMS2 aspires to be a "driving simulator" as opposed to a "motorsport simulator". As the later it has gotten worse and worse over the course of 2022. The AI right now just aren't close to being good. And it's clear to me that Reiza really doesn't care about the single-player racing experience. At least that's the message I've received.

AMS2 isn't a super-expensive product so it's not a big deal to move on if I'm not a happy customer. But it is frustrating when you were very happy and then the "game" aspect of title gets broken by updates.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Who is Renato ? wehre do i find that changelog ?
    Thanks

4. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

5. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

Car: F-USA Gen
    Track: Fontana Oval
    Report: AI cars from high to low aggression and 100-85 they will slow down mid corner 1-2. Bang wheels as if these were nascar and all pack racing. There wasn’t much pack racing at Fontana & Michigan in RL not the whole field. Debris is left on track from wrecks. Cars blowing up stop on grass smoking, no yellow

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  6. Dicra

Dicra Local Gamepad Ambassador AMS2 Club Member

Observations with F-Retro Gen1/Jacarepagua:
    AI are excessively slow in the middle of T5

Observations with F-USA Gen1/Fontana Roadcourse
    AI will crash in the T1/2 chicane in 19 out of 20 attempts, and tend to build a nice traffic jam. They also like to crash in the last corner, but with FCY on, you'll rarely get that far.

Observations with GT1/Hockenheim
    AI will consistently accelerate better than me out of the hairpin. They will also, however, lose a ton of time in T1 and the entrance of the motodrome.

Observations with F3/Santa Cruz do Sul
    AI will drive away during T6/7 acceleration zone. They will lose a ton of time in the long corners of T8/9. The latter gets worse if you (which is basically required for the track) increase the downforce on your car.

7. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.4.1.2
    Car: Various, eg. German Touring, Mini Cooper, F1 Retro, '79 Opala
    Track: Gateway WWT
    Session Distance: any
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): race with compulsory pit stop

Appreciate this is a new track, so probably AI adjustments ongoing but in case this isn't already on the list, a few AI cars always fail to make a compulsory pit stop, resulting in disqualification at start of final lap. This always triggers a FCY (probably because these disqualified AI cars pull up at the side of the track), meaning every last lap is always under FCY.

Also noticed that towards the end of the final lap of the race (under FCY), as we approach the start-finish line, the game displays a message along the lines of "get ready to race again" because the FCY yellow is about to end, but it's actually the end of the race.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Pales

Pales Member

I do not post very often but I regularly keep an eye on the patch notes when each new build is released. One thing that I have always disliked in this game is the sudden, unnecessary AI weaving moments (which are particaurly common when reacting to another car or when they're overtaking). The AI just never seem to move and react in a fluid like way when driving.

I have just randomly come across a video that showcases 1.4 and within just seconds of the race starting, I can already see it present in the game. The patch notes suggest they are aware of it and have been gradually trying to improve it but I see no difference whatsoever from when I last played the game.

Check out 1:33 onwards.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

AI in F_USA (all Gens) are still enormously quick on oval tracks compared to their performance on other courses. When running ovals, they are not obeying to the values given in CustomAI-file, too. Their results seem to be random; car with lowest values within the files can be in front, too.

10. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

You know something is way wrong with the Ai in the 98 CART cars when an Eagle is out front lol They were field fillers.

Seriously though.Whether you’re at 80 or 100, low or high aggression, the Ai at Fontana will brake check you right before t2 exit. Not raceable or fun how it is now

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. TinMan_JB

TinMan_JB Member

• Car / Track used: GT3 class, 911 GT3 is problematic
    • AI Strength setting: 104
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): corner 1, last corner
    • AI Aggression setting: medium
    • Session Distance: 20min
    • Weather when the issue was observed: dry
    • Player Tyre: dry
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): dry probably
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): race, rolling start

Hello, I have a report about 911 GT3 AI on Watkins Glen full course with chicane. There are 2 problematic corners with Porsche 911 GT3:

In corner 1 the 911s lose it under braking/mid corner - their rear steps out, cars spin over high inside kerb then overcorrect and have a tank slapper that shoots them across the track to the outside of the corner, collecting any other cars (usually me :) This has been observed with sevceral 911s in several race sessions and race restarts.

In last corner (fast right hander before start/finish) also 911 GT3s lose the rear under acceleration way too consistently - almost every time I had a 911 in front of me the 911 had problems, but also some other GT3s (I think a BMW, IIRC), so this one is not exclusive to 911 GT3.

Hopefully team can look into this when time permits.
    Regards, TM

12. sillib

sillib New Member

Allthough its so much fun... there s work to be done.
    And it will be done!!

Further more to what you re stating, the AI weaves in breaking zones making me react like WTF!! which is really at least annoying, but i should say a game breaker at some point.
    They also take lines that make no sence weaving all over the place in a lot of occasions.

I m not making a new post about it because i m sure its been posted before, but it was in Nurburgring 2020 GP layout, with gt3 class, latest patch v 1.4.1.2.

I m sure it will get better, and its fun now nonetheless!!!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2022
  13. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.4.1.2
    Car: Copa Uno
    Track: Campo Grande
    Session Distance: 14 laps
    Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): race with compulsory pit stop

I had pitstop "assist" turned on for this race and when I made my pitstop (at around lap 7) the assist drove my car through the pitlane without stopping. My highlighted pit-crew did not appear. I continued racing until I was disqualified at the start of the last lap for not pitting.

14. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

100% Strength, Aggression HIGH (Porsche Carrara Cup @ Montreal + SuperV8 @ Bathurst)

AI are still dropping off too much after passing, this issue has been prevalent since the early days. They manage to keep on pace just fine when ahead, but when I pass them they drop off to 2-3seconds behind and rarely get close again. Even bumping up the Strength they should be sat on my rear bumper but they keep a "gentlemanly" distance until I make a mistake so that they get close enough then they suddenly start to battle. When cars/times are evenly matched they should be nose-to-tail but I'm just not seeing it with the latest update.

Reported (at least once) last year:

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That doesn't make a difference for drafting and top speed

16. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not talking about drafting at top speed, I'm talking about the AIs inability to remain close to me (bumping up the strength means they're faster round the lap ergo faster than me).

17. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I wasn't either, I was saying bumping up the "Strength" doesn't make a difference for the AI falling back , the top-speed is always the same only the speed through (most of) the corners is altered, and you can't change the draft qualities of the AI by changing the difficulty.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Deuce

Deuce BANNED BANNED

Hours of AI Testing...

AI Settings Expectation:

Adjustment Result
    Race Skill Clean/smooth racing lines during dry practice and race +/- Speed
    Quali Skill Clean/smooth racing lines during qualifying +/- Speed
    Wet Skill Virtual Adjustment to Race Skill and Quali Skill related to degree of track wetness +/-
    Aggression Likely hood of initiating and completing clean pass +/-
    Defending Likely hood of maintaining side-by-side when being passed +/-
    Stamina Duration until Virtual Change in Race Skill/Quali Skill/Aggression/Defending +/-
    Tyre Mngmnt Adjustment to speed of Tyre Degradation +/-
    Blue Flag Con Reduction in Defending and/or moving to secondary racing line
    Start Reaction Delay in acceleration on start/restart +/-
    Avoid Mistakes Attempt to not run off track, etc. without influence +/-
    Avoid Forced Attempt to not run off track, etc. with influence +/-
    Weather Tyre Delay in changing to Wet tyre compounds +/-
    Consistency Frequency of Temporary Variable Virtual Decrease in above +/-

Test 1 (Focus on Passing):

Formula Ultimate Gen2
    Silverstone
    Overcast
    11am start
    30 min Durration
    Skill - 85
    Aggression - Medium

5 cars
    {All set to .99 for stamina, consistency, start reaction, tyre management, blue flag conceding, weather tyre changes, avoidance of mistakes, and avoidance of force mistakes}

(Below assumes that .5 is neutral setting)
    Car 1 - High Race Skill/Poorest Quali Skill/Highest Aggression
    Race Skill - .52
    Quali Skill - .10
    Agression - .99
    Defending - .52

Car 2 - High Race Skill/2nd Poorest Quali Skill/Lowest Aggression
    Race Skill - .52
    Quali Skill - .30
    Agression - .10
    Defending - .52

Car 3 - Neutral Race Skill/Neutral Skill/Neutral Aggression
    Race Skill - .50
    Quali Skill - .50
    Agression - .50
    Defending - .50

Car 4 - Low Race Skill/2nd Best Quali Skill/Highest Aggression
    Race Skill - .48
    Quali Skill - .60
    Agression - .99
    Defending - .48

Car 5 - Low Race Skill/Best Quali Skill/Lowest Aggression
    Race Skill - .48
    Quali Skill - .99
    Agression - .10
    Defending - .48

Intended Result: ("should" meaning should be very likely)
    Quali Skill should result in an inverted field at start as it pertains to Race Skill
    Car 1 (highest race skill-highest aggression) should work toward the lead
    Car 2 (highest race skill-lowest aggression) should work toward 2nd place
    Car 3 (neutral) should overtake Car 4 and 5 and be overtaken by Car 1 and 2
    Car 4 (lowest race skill-highest aggression) should fall to 4th place
    Car 5 (lowest race Skill-lowest aggression) should fall to last place

Actual Results:

Qualifying - Almost every test resulted in intended result {expected}

Race - Car 4 passes Car 5 {expected}; Car 1, 3, and 5 battle lap after lap (Car 5 has the lowest race skill and lowest aggression yet the best car (1) and neutral car (3) can't separate from it; all three cars seem to keep swapping positions) {unexpected}; Car 2 (second best car) falls way behind all other cars {unexpected}

Race results appear as if the 2nd worst car is the best car, the best and worst car are equal to the neutral car, and the 2nd best car is the worst... DRS is ruled out as cause for general results... so in other words... not sure what the settings are controlling... settings rendered worthless in this passing test...

Test 2 (separation):

Formula Ultimate Gen2
    Silverstone
    Overcast
    11am start
    30 min Durration
    Skill - 85
    Aggression - Medium

5 cars
    {All set to .99 for stamina, consistency, start reaction, tyre management, blue flag conceding, weather tyre changes, avoidance of mistakes, and avoidance of force mistakes}

(Below assumes that .5 is neutral setting)
    Car 1 - High Race Skill/Poorest Quali Skill/Highest Aggression
    Race Skill - .52
    Quali Skill - .99
    Agression - .99
    Defending - .52

Car 2 - High Race Skill/2nd Poorest Quali Skill/Lowest Aggression
    Race Skill - .52
    Quali Skill - .60
    Agression - .10
    Defending - .52

Car 3 - Neutral Race Skill/Neutral Skill/Neutral Aggression
    Race Skill - .50
    Quali Skill - .50
    Agression - .50
    Defending - .50

Car 4 - Low Race Skill/2nd Best Quali Skill/Highest Aggression
    Race Skill - .48
    Quali Skill - .30
    Agression - .99
    Defending - .48

Car 5 - Low Race Skill/Best Quali Skill/Lowest Aggression
    Race Skill - .48
    Quali Skill - .10
    Agression - .10
    Defending - .48

Intended Result: ("should" meaning should be very likely)
    Quali Skill should result in best race skill cars in the front of field with most aggressive ahead of least aggressive when race skills are equal
    Car 1 (highest race skill-highest aggression) should maintain lead
    Car 2 (highest race skill-lowest aggression) should maintain 2nd
    Car 3 (neutral) should maintain 3rd
    Car 4 (lowest race skill-highest aggression) should maintain 4th
    Car 5 (lowest race Skill-lowest aggression) should maintain 5th

Actual Results:

Qualifying - Almost every test resulted in intended result {expected}

Race - Cars 1, 2, and 3 maintained position as expected while increasing separation each lap {expected}; Car 5 raced aggressively against car 4 lap after lap occasionally exchanging positions {unexpected... Car 5 (lowest aggression setting) acted outside of expectations as it seemed as aggressive as Car 4 (highest aggression setting)

• Informative Informative x 1
  19. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

Wow, that’s a lot of work, great job!!

20. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Those race skills are too close, those cars are all basically equal, try a bigger variance. Also lowering the defend value should help with the back and forth. I agree the aggression skill doesn't really make much difference, that's why I believe max aggression is the best option.