1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I thought the settings are relative to a base setting, first give them all the same values. See what is the "natural" order. Then go adjusting the cars to your liking
    (this discussion better fits the Custom AI-thread Information for Customizing AI drivers in AMS2 V1.3)

2. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Member AMS2 Club Member

3. Mario Moretti

Mario Moretti Member AMS2 Club Member

4. rmagid1010

rmagid1010 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Some issues I have with the AI in the present game (V1.4.1.3)

• AI drive in qualifying like its a race. Instead of backing off before the last corner, they will attempt to race eachother. This means that occasionally you get large packs of ai racing eachother in quali, which means that quali times are artificially lower.[​IMG]
    • AI are still not adept at reading blue flags. In multiclass races, one would expect the ai to keep to the racing line and not defend, but the ai will still attempt to defend the racing line, even if they are in a lower class.
    • The faster-class AI are also sometimes slowed down during multiclass racing as they are a touch hesitant to make the clean divebomb to get past a slower car ahead. Their behaviour in this regard has improved a lot over the years though.
    • The ai unnecessarily defend at the end of straights. They will stay towards the middle of the track towards a braking zone, and move under braking to the outside. This means that the ai take corners slower than they should, which messes up the whole ai difficulty/calibration. The ai need to stick more to the outside of the entry of corners, and brake in a straight line. upload_2022-9-4_19-13-53.png
    • The ai appear to not be impacted from the effects of dirty air. This means that single seaters race in large packs at many tracks (especially high speed ovals like fontana) in an unrealistic way. To be that close would cause oversteer on the CART cars with their large rear wings, and understeer in formula one cars.
    • The AI react late to weather changes. An idea i had is that custom ai could have the ability to forecast future weather, anctipate it and react early. If i was to set a race to have two weather presets (dry -> rain) and synced to race, I could pit mid-way and undercut the entire ai field as they struggle on a wet track in slicks.
    • The AI clearly dont have the same handling characteristics as the player. When you slide an oversteery c3 corvette through radillion, its frustrating to see the entire rest of the field taking it cleanly. It could be nice to see AI cars struggling with and controlling oversteer when they are driving a car which naturally does this, like the historic cars.
    • The ai do make mistakes like a slip of oversteer, but these tend to be mid-corner rather than corner exit so it is a bit odd to see.
    • The AI tend to drive onto the grass and dirt a lot. Sometimes they stray wide on the straights, or hug the inside kerb and a bit beyond. The livetrack updates have proven this; [​IMG]
    • The AI are really dangerous at Silverstone GP. I tried a formula ultimate gen2 race there, and the ai will completely cut corners like Abbey (T1). I noticed an ai on its own hit the inside barrier at copse. Ive seen huge ai pileups at maggots-beckets.
    • The ai will sometimes attempt to cut the corners at tracks with high kerbs or tyre walls. The Vale chicane at silverstone, The chicane before knickerbrook at oulton park, and the large tyre barriers at galeao airport and Fontana roval are notorious in this regard.
    There are some very good parts to the ai as it stands, like the ability to have close side-by-side races with minimal contatcs if you drive clean yourself. The AI also drive with tenacity, and will make a move if you leave the door open.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 10
  5. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I agree with the post above, especially about braking zone behaviour. I consider this a pretty important thing to fix, since failing to hold a line in a braking zone can ruin races from damage.

Linking three examples of braking zone behaviour from a single DPI + P1 race weekend in Monza. 105 skill, max aggression.

You'd think I would've learned after the first two. :p

(I'm aware that I need to learn patience as the faster class. All of these potential overtakes would've been awkward 2-wides in a slow corner unless one of the drivers lifts.)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  6. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

Version: 1.4.1.3
    Car: GT1
    Track: Kansai, Laguna Seca, Spielberg, Donington GP
    Report: The AI when actually driving qualifies 2-3 seconds quicker compared to skipping the session on every track I tested.
    They also almost never make improvements later on, their first lap is almost always the fastest.

7. Anthony 123

Anthony 123 Active Member

Version: 1.4.1.3
    Car: any
    Track: any oval
    Report: ai speed is very erratic under full course Yellow. If you accidentally pass one, you will get warned to give the position back but the ai you passed will not pass you. They need to regain position and have a more consistent speed under Yellow. They are hard to follow right now

8. BrassYeti

BrassYeti New Member

Just started my first championship - been playing online in a league since the launch of ams2 - gt3 at Bathurst. I went from 9th to 3rd and had a great battle, swapping positions with 2nd and 4th for the second half of the race.... then the rain came with 4 laps to go. By the last lap my tires were cold, impossible to keep pace, but it seemed as if the AI all swapped over to wet tires without actually pitting. They were just blowing by me. I did notice as the conditions were starting to get worse, they would take some turns a lot slower, but by the time the track was soaking wet, they were all blowing past me.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sampopel

sampopel Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Version: V.1.4.1.3
    Car: Porsche Cup 3.8
    Track: Londrina short
    Corner: T2 / chicane
    Type of session: race

The AI are noticeably slow through this turn/chicane, it's too easy to gain a couple of places or 1+ seconds on them here.

10. jota.191

jota.191 (I'm Lando Garlando in AMS2 lobbies) AMS2 Club Member

Car: Copa Classic (Multiclass, B and FL)
    Track: Oulton Park (long)
    Corner: Hislop chicane
    Strength: 97
    Aggression: medium
    session length: 10 laps
    weather: clear, night

Multiple accidents in chicanes, specially Hislop's. Every lap some AI car hits the tyres (those that delimit the chicane), which leads to aglomerations of cars and many times someone overturns. I got 4 full course cautions in a 10 lap race.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Silvano

Silvano Active Member AMS2 Club Member

12. s0cks

s0cks New Member

1. AI pit strats are all over the place making long races with AI not really viable.

2. If weather goes from dry to wet quickly, the AI have way more grip on the slicks than the player. Player has to limp back to pits and lose so much time that it's just not worth finishing the race. This makes using random weather not an option. Either the player needs more grip, or AI needs less. I suspect the balance is somewhere in the middle.

3. If AI is slow through certain corners they are all slow through the same corners (sometimes really slow). This breaks immersion because you know you can always catch up through certain corners regardless of the AI driver ahead. I would prefer if the AI took faster lines through these corners which may mean tweaking the driving lines for AI per track (if possible).

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

They're a little better if you put the aggression on high and also 100 Ai

14. s0cks

s0cks New Member

I already run aggression on high. Usually have skill @ 95%, but sometimes 100% depending on track/car.

15. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

So much for that theory lol
    IRacing’s Ai is a pita but you can adjust each Ai to exactly what you’re looking

16. s0cks

s0cks New Member

I haven't done much AI racing in iRacing, mostly because I don't own a whole lot of content on that sim yet, and I usually don't want to be racing the same car and track as I already did online, but also AMS2 just looks so much better :D

I did F1 V12's at Silverstone 1991, and in one of the last turns I would easily gain half a second on the AI, often even more if two were fighting. It breaks the immersion for me quite a lot. It's not like online where each driver will be faster/slower through different sections. I know it's hard to achieve that sort of variety with AI without having multiple driving lines configured, but at the very least it would be good if they could at least all keep pace through every corner.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Marg

Marg Active Member

I've changed a few parameters in F-USA Gen 1 - low vehicle reliability, bad(low) mistake avoidance parameters for drivers to see maybe "mayhem"\chaotic race, but nothing... I do not see anything. Every time there is only 1 yellow in 30 minutes race (in Fontana). 1 car retires, and that's all. I do not see those parameters affecting anything.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Great Ape

Great Ape Member

I haven't changed anything other than the standard options (agg/skill) but saw the same thing at Snetterton with the Porc Cup 4; 45 minute race and the AI made one mistake mistakes; having been to Snetterton for the BTCC this year this isn't realistic by a long stretch.

Also also has issues with it's collision physics(?). AI 1 rear-ended AI 2, AI 2 spun into the front of me, attached itself like a magnet and ground itself across the front of the car, there was no loss of traction or balance for AI 2 - on the contrary, even when it was broadside to me I could feel it pushing back.

This was not the mass of the car offering resistance, this was the car actively pushing me back - this exact thing happens in rf2, it's as frustrating here as it is there.

19. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

How low did you go on the reliability? You can even go negative on that parameter, keep testing and you will get a lot of reliabilty retirements. There will always be a variance between sessions, sometimes with the same parameters I get 6 retirements in 1 hour, sometimes I get 2 in the same time.

20. tpw

tpw Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Car: Stock Car 2022
    Track: Donington GP
    Strength: 95
    Aggression: low
    session length:5 laps
    weather: clear, day

Stock Car 2022 AI are some of the best calibrated in the entire game, and a race at Donington starts with their usual genteel behaviour. At the end of lap one they massively out accelerate the player out of the final hairpin onto the main straight, take off with their skill level increased by 10, and can barely be kept up with for the remainder of the race. Any gains the player manages to make are lost on that final bastard hairpin. At 95% I can podium finish against SC2022 AI on just about any track, but with Donington I don't stand a chance. Donington has always been a fairly fast track for AI, but along with Oulton it's become a track where the AI have the advantage in every sector, and it's becoming quite unenjoyable now with AI strength > 90.
    Please have a look at that final hairpin, and have a look at the track cut code at the esses, because I'm getting near constant warnings through there with 2 wheels on the asphalt.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1