1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thoughts on time "Flashback" / "Rewind" feature?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by hb22, Aug 17, 2022.

1. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

Iracing is implementing it on the next build. It’s good for training, a difficult corner. Taking another lap, your tires have more wear so it won’t be exactly the same. I would like to see the capability to go out on used tires, so you don’t have to spend 15 laps to see how your car runs on worn tires and less fuel or more. It’s a tool. We’re not smelling methanol or burnt rubber so I do t think it diminishes the “sim”

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Saffaboy

Saffaboy New Member

An arcade game because someone on the other side of the world who you will never race with might use the flashback button in single player mode? lol ok

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Saffaboy

Saffaboy New Member

Flashbacks are brilliant for learning a new track

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

i mean sure why not, i personally wouldn't use it but more options equals good

5. Enagee

Enagee jim joneZ AMS2 Club Member

Lol ...I don't agree more options are good....Sometimes it leads to a less focused approach, you cant try to cover all basis to keep everyone happy...Sometimes less More.
    Personally, i feel there are features in AMS 2 that shouldn't be enabled, like ghosting cars and auto pit.
    Give people too much control and the shop is all over the place and no consistency.

These are fun features for fun games like Pcars 3 and GT7, i don't think AMS 2 would not lose any value without them.

The focus is still the same .. Simulation.

6. hb22

hb22 Member

I would argue that someone choosing to use a flashback feature to rewind, experiment, and get a corner or overtake right, is a great use of a simulator, and probably can result in faster learning than having to restart, drive an out lap, warm up tires, and get to the same corner again. I also see this as far LESS arcadey than some of the things that users could do in the sim currently, if they so chose to : for example, turning off damage and rules and bouncing from wall to wall around monaco. So I don't see how an optional offline rewind feature makes it an arcade game.

However your point about users wanting developers to prioritise other things is completely fair and that was part of what I wanted to understand from responses here. Also agreed that responses on this forum are likely to be skewed towards wanting features for experienced racers and not beginners!

• Like Like x 2
  7. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Looks learning corners and tracks you need your concentration, willingness, dedication, energy, etc. Flashbacks won't help you. They can perhaps help a tiny but if you doing hotlaps or even the race itself you all depend on your own concentration, etc. Maybe you can nail that corner you trained on but there are more and more corners, and they come back every lap. As a racer you've to work on so much things during a race; your car, the others, the damage, wear and tear, your speed and much more. If you can chain all the corners within all the laps during a race without crashing then you fricking made it. It's not always about nailing that corner. Imho flashbacks only ruin your racecraft because you're not working on improving all the other aspects I described. People forget racing is not about being first and win, and get that dopamineshot. Not it's about getting better, learning new stuff every day and improve your mentality and your racecraft. Where you finish that doesn't matter its all about how you improve. Never give up, always give your best.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm not against it, but given the plethora of very basic stuff Reiza still has not sorted out, I definitely wish they do not spend a single second on such feature.

I also don't like too arcade settings, but the average AMS2 player daily proves that he actually prefers arcade over simulation (just take a sneak peek at MP lobbies), so I guess it would please the player base.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

It’s a tool to use to hone your race craft. Instead of going around another lap and another theirs saves time. I pretty sure these million dollar factor simulators you can do this. I’d like to be able to take a car out on tires that are 30% 40, 60% worn and approximate fuel to test a car. I don’t always want to spend 30 + minutes to get to where my tires will be to see how the setup applies. I do that now but it’s sucks time. I spent 3 hrs for a rave last night last week preparing. A 40 min Ai race and the rest of the time was tweaking the setup prior. Never worked on qual until race night lol. Porsche RSR is very fuel sensitive. To be against this when there’s so many arcade gimmicks in “game”. You get in a MP server and it puts you on the bumper lol. That’s better then a roof I guess

10. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'd put flashbacks on the same list as turning off damage and fuel use, cheating on the weather forecast, setting the level of AI ability, having a restart button, putting traction control on a Lotus 49 etc, all things that have no place in a proper sim. Oh, er, wait...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Sparviero

Sparviero Member

If you talk about an in-game saving option, I'm with you. The only feature I wish from rF2/ACC/F1 22 is the saving, because I wish to play real endurance races like in GTR2.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

Turn off that bumper driver arcade chit. Jump in every MP server and your on the ground (bumper)view. I’ve been called a salty purist lol

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. neal

neal Active Member AMS2 Club Member

and in using a save game option you remove the 'endurance' aspect. :rolleyes:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

No thanks
    Can’t do this at track days

15. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

If you’re looking for pure realism, a purist approach, this is t the place but I don’t think any really are. The only real deal is from the manufactures with their $100million simulators. And even those, a driver has the opportunity to repeat a corner without doing the 2 + minute lap again. I would call myself a sim purist but I’d welcome this feature because there’s only so many hrs in a day and I don’t have an engineer or a team to cut that in half

16. John Hargreaves

I like how we have options and we are allowed to play our way. When I play on my PC I try to keep it as real as possible (I even give the place back to the AI if I make a mistake and nudge them off I'm that sad), but when I play AMS2 on my Steam Deck I crank up the assists, lower the AI and turn off the damage for some fantastic 5 lap blasts and I love it. I do think once you've paid for the game you can play it how you want so long as you're not spoiling anyone else's day.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

Yes. I think you need all the arcade aids etc to be able to attract more “paying customers” The #’s of pure sim racers is the minority. The mindset of most from what I’ve gathered in here is they want it all but not willing to pay for it. You can’t generate & maintain a proper MP for just an initial one time price as a player. If you want MP you’re going to have to pay for it. This comment wasn’t an invitation to here the irenting complaints or it’s too expensive. This is one of the less expensive hobbies I’ve had.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. John Hargreaves

Something that the Steam Deck has taught me is that even with ABS/TC/SC enabled, you can still clearly feel the physics working beneath it all, which is something missing from a proper arcade title. It's really striking when you play a game without proper physics, but AMS2 is very satisfying to play in a more casual way because you can still sense what the car is doing and real braking points and cornering speeds are still essential. All the skills developed from 'proper' racing transfer well to the more pick up and play style, which is where you are going to collect many more users in the long run.

19. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Hard "no" for me. If it's ever introduced, which I can't believe it ever will be, I'll have it off

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. MarcG

MarcG Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I'm all for Options to allow users to help them, Flashbacks are just that, something to help the user. I mean we can already turn damage off, lay a track full of rubber, turn off mechanical issues etc etc so why not something else that helps? All those against it can simply not use the feature, that is better than downright saying "No I don't want it in the game" altogether - Options Rule! ;)

Personally I used 'Resume From Replay' in RFactor2 a lot, it was incredibly handy for those long Endurance races where I'd never get time to run the full race in one sitting. That feature gave me the opportunity to play out the entire Race during the course of a week or weekend, it is a superb feature that i would love to see fulfilled in AMS2.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1