1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LFM drops plans to support AMS2 - What needs to change?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Peter Kasbergen, Sep 26, 2022.

1. Peter Kasbergen

Peter Kasbergen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Now that LFM has said it will not be supporting AMS2 in the near future because the server system is a mess, what exactly do you think needs to change about it?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

Ray croc was very successful because… he found something that worked and duplicated it. MP isn’t new, see who does it best and duplicate it with a twist of Ams2 to go along. Put the egos aside and get gud with MP. The majority of MP racers are more hardcore sim enthusiast that want to duplicate rl as close as possible.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. TexasSpecial

TexasSpecial Member

I guess I am of the opinion, why should it matter if they do?
    Doesn't seem like they are very professional themselves based on the response.

4. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

I've setup PCars2, AC and ACC dedicated servers in the past and here is a list I've created that I think would make the multiplayer system better.

1. Be more forgiving with latency spikes and bandwidth fluctuations of players so they don't drop when switching from Quali to Race.
    2. Allow the option to let people join after Quali and during the middle of the race.
    3. Allow proper multiclass gridding (don't mix classes in the grid) and manual grid setup options.
    4. Allow changing the timers for switching from Quali to Race.
    5. Allow changing the Quali end timer.
    6. Allow changing the Race end timer.
    7. Allow custom fixed setup options, so that the Dedi Server host can force a custom tune every competitor has to use that isn't "default".
    8. Allow ballast penalties to individual drivers by the server host.
    9. Allow server admin to lock camera to cockpit view only.
    10. Allow cars that have returned to the pits to continue the race after repairs.
    11. Allow the admin to set the option to allow cars that have returned to the pits to continue the race after repairs and 30 sec wait timer for towing.
    12. Allow the admin to set the option for cars that have pulled over to the side of the track and stopped not to be teleported back to the pits after whatever is the default timers is. Reason being, sometimes our group does reverse grid races and cars have to line up in reverse grid order after the race has started. Unfortunately some folks who stop moving get teleported back to the pits and their race ends.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Roy Niessink

Roy Niessink Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The ams2 dedi server already has the option to force cockpit view, never tested if it works though, but the option is there

6. DaWorstPlaya

The current option is not "cockpit" in the sense that it forces the player to only use the driver's seat view but locks the camera to anywhere inside the car. Meaning the player can still change camera views but it's limited to views inside the vehicle.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

2. Allow the option to let people join after Quali and during the middle of the race

I can see after qualifying before race starts but why after? If it’s like lobby racing where it’s just a pickup race I guess?

8. DaWorstPlaya

Sometimes my league hosts fun races that aren't for season points and it would be nice to have the option to let people join during the middle of race so they can join in on the fun without having to wait 25mins for the races to end; while they twiddle their thumbs sitting on the sidelines.
    All I'm saying is, give the server admin the option for to turn ON/OFF that feature like in AC/ACC, so we can customize the races to our liking. I'm sure a lack of these features is why LFM rejected AMS2.

9. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

Makes sense to have the option available.
    I think having choices are good but too many cane be confusing. I like the K.I.S.S theory for some things.

I don't partake in LMF, are they the hardcore salty sim purist (I resemble they lol) or the opposite and want the choices to be wide for more participants to join?

10. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't know LFM, but we have to agree that AMS2 MP is by far the worst of the main titles (PC2 is not a main title).

It was neglected by Reiza for at least 1,5 years, while the rest of the game was developing at a good pace, so, even though saying it is "****ty" is out of line - a tad bit disrespectful, it is the unfortunate true.

Anyway, to answer the OP: Reiza needs to CTRL+C CTRL+V what they did to AMS1.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  11. HijabiKathy

HijabiKathy Active Member

This one would be best as an option, because there's also times where multiple classes can be very close in speed, used for silliness such as GT5 vs Copa Truck, or can use a slightly slower class as a nerf for the faster drivers, like using G40 Cup vs GT5,, or alternatively, AMS2 at least when you don't have qualifying does try putting the faster cars up front, gets very confused sometimes by what class is actually faster, for example it'll put TSI cup in front of the street cars, which the TSI cup is rather obviously not faster than a McLaren F1

12. DaWorstPlaya

Yep, there are options in setting up the Grid Layout but most of the options are useless.
    upload_2022-9-27_19-27-53.png

"Default" is basically gridding all cars by quali times, regardless of class. Which is the current system.

What I would like to see is as options are:
    "Default" which is the current way by fastest Quali times.
    "By Class", where it seperates the grid by class. Which is what I suggested as an option.
    "Random", which doesn't need an explanation.
    "Reverse", which would be a reverse grid.
    Why? Reverse you say? Well what if you gave points to Qualifying, then there would be incentive to do well in Quali and not sandbag. It would move faster drivers to the back of the grid where they have to fight their way forward.

13. LewisBloom

LewisBloom Member

Just bumping this in the hopes Reiza see it and are able to recognise how much a priority it should be from a fan and fellow game design perspective. A little due diligence will show how much LFM it could be argued has kept ACC online alive in recent times, with crazy numbers thanks to its simple approach to online competition, taking what iRacing has been most successful with and applying it to there own system.

Hoping Reiza are able to work with LFM guys to get what needs to be done, done as it 'd only result in a win win for Reiza themselves for LFM and for any other groups wanting to have there own online systems involving AMS2 not to mention us lot the community growing.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 3
  14. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

Nope, you can simply move the camera with WASD outside of the cockpit to make it work like a bumper, hood or rooftop cam.

15. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This would be a requirement for long endurance races, especially 24h ones. Members of a team need to be able to join an ongoing session to drive their stints and rejoin in case of disconnections and similar issues.

Flashbacks from an rF2 Le Mans 24h event where the W Series team was unable to drive because their driver got disconnected early in the race, couldn't get back into the server and none of the other drivers could get in the car to continue. (If I remember the events correctly.)

16. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

What is LFM ?

17. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

• Like Like x 1
  18. Peter Kasbergen

Peter Kasbergen Active Member AMS2 Club Member

All good input, thanks. I too am hoping Reiza looks at this post to at least get an idea about what to start working on in terms of online server management, options, etc. I hope they will be able to focus resources more on this side of AMS2 now that the physics are roughly where they want them to be. And if they could talk to the LFM guys directly, I am sure there would be many more technical aspects that they could improve together.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Don Hunter

Don Hunter Active Member

I don’t think they need to talk to LFM. They’ve been around sim racing long enough to know. Also, I’m sure they know their competition, who does what, who does certain things better , where they need to improve. There’s some things that you can’t reinvent the wheel. Nothing wrong with duplication on certain features, just add an ams2 twist

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. F1-Dave

F1-Dave Member

Shame this isn't happening,
    Re installed rf2 to try lfm, and I've been having a blast,
    But, I would uninstall it instantly if ams2 was added, my heart is with this game