1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think is the most significant reason AMS2 userbase is so small?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by GodzillaGTR, Mar 2, 2022.

1. Justdave

Justdave Member

I agree with this. Most people (gamers) use the STEAM forum and don't even know REIZA has a 'official' forum for questions and concerns about AMS2. But that goes along with short attention spans and the rest of what I said. Most of the STEAM forum users don't know rF2 has a official forum either...

edit: what AMS2 needs (and rF2 for that matter) is someone on the Steam forums to answer questions, and point the "regular" normal racing game enthusiast to the official forums for each game. That would help.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2022
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. mansell

mansell Member

probably yes
    but im glad they dont

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. mansell

mansell Member

IMO if AMS2 can ever catch ACC (in popularity) this might be after AC2 release.

why do you think the arrival of rennsports will especially affect ACC?
    why not affect all sims and not just a specific one?
    will not affect AMS2 also? and if not, why?

as it seems (in this discussion and everywhere people talking racing sims), AC and ACC are THE reference points (also in terms of popularity) in the genre and it is not easy for any title (existing or upcoming) to compete with them (or with iRacing)
    and this in not only an opinion. it is a fact.
    rennsport must be very good to achive what AMS2 didn't (so far): to catch other succesful titles' popularities.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
  4. mansell

mansell Member

i agree
    i would add some YT guides too. steel's setups vids was very popular and help lot of people. some vids for workrounds, some guides about (custom) FFB, custom AI, championships, liveries etc could help people, save them time searching on forums and increase popularity.

lol if i was a reiza forum admin i would change the title of the thread "we need some AMS2 videos, guys" to "we need some AMS2 video guides" :D

5. Justdave

Justdave Member

Yes, but Steelcasts videos of setups are now obsolete more or less since the update to 1.4. And the general public does not even know there is a community out there (this one) , of sim racing enthusiasts other than the STEAM forums, which are, for lack of a better word...worthless. AMS2 needs someone on the steam forums, otherwise the kids will play something else.

I have said this on the Steam forums but nobody listens. If people have questions, they would like a answer on the platform on which the game is sold, that is where most people look for answers. I bought the game on STEAM, you have a forum about your game on STEAM, please answer the questions people have about the game....ON STEAM.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. muz_j

muz_j Active Member

I have to point out that is incorrect.
    If you take any good quality video, that explains racing sim car setups, at a fundamental level - i.e. it explains the mechanics and principals of each setting, and how to go about adjusting things to account for various car behaviours, then you can apply that knowledge to any (decent quality) racing sim.
    I use the exact same knowledge and process to tune cars in rFactor 2, AMS 2, Assetto Corsa and any other decent game that attempts to apply real world physics to a racing game.

Two easy examples of Steelcast's videos that are still relevant are:
    ARB's:

Dampers:

I do accept that some of his custom defaults might need updating in relation to version 1.4, but taking my own personal setups as an example (which I saved as screenshots, then reapplied and retuned after v1.4), the differences between what I was using before v1.4 and what I'm using now for most cars are not very different. Small tweaks here and there go a long way.

• Like Like x 1
  7. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I feel that AMS2 (and AC for sure) has a very high percentage of offline players. With ACC, I feel that a higher percentage of players are there for the online experience. Rennsport to me is heavily geared toward online competition (based on their preview videos). Unless they show off some offline features I don't see them as competition for AMS2.

In the end, I'm all for more sims and I look forward to trying them all. I'm odd for a sim racer in that I really liked PC2, so to be honest, outside of AMS2's future content, I'm most excited for GTR Revival.

8. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

AMS2 will never overtake ACC regarding online participation for one simple reason: In ACC you can race GT3 @Spa with more car variety :D

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  9. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

and do endurance team events

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

I agree. ACC is the current king of GT3 with a VERY robust multiplayer system. I think AMS2 should focus on the content that is missing from ACC (tracks, cars, etc).

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. mansell

mansell Member

lol
    PC2 offers more GT3 cars than ACC to people who want race them at spa (or monza).
    even rF2 has 14 GT3 cars (plus mods)
    also, you probably talking about public lobbies. in leagues (where most ACC players are) spa and monza are just two tracks in the rotation...
    IMO, quantity is not the reason that most people chose ACC as their main (GT3/GT4) sim.
    (i always except iRacing from these comparisons first because no stats available and second its pricing/subscription model makes it a category of its own, actually)

lets hope that at some point, AMS2 single player and its aboundance (and excellence for some in this forum) can come close to ACC or overpass other sim titles. multiplayer at... spa can wait. :p

Last edited: Oct 5, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  12. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

And dedicated servers work better and are more user friendly :p
    ACC lacks content but is (apart from VR), a highly optimized and polished experience. AMS2 has a ton of content on the other hand, but misses more polish and optimization of the content and features that are there. So both games could take a page out of each others book.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, that SRO affiliation could generate some really cool DLC. BPR Global GT anyone?

• Like Like x 1
  14. lawgicau

lawgicau Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think this is an excellent summary. ACC is by far the most 'complete' of the major sims. Nice interface, built in radar HUD and race engineer, career mode, plus great multiplayer options with LFM. I know it wasn't like this at release but currently it feels like a 'finished' game. Personally I don't find the driving feel that exciting and lack of car variety bores me, whereas AMS2 I like for these very reasons, but there are still so many rough edges (especially with multiplayer).

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. Ettore

Ettore Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't think SRO and Kunos would be looking at the past. The reason Kunos and SRO are together is because SRO was looking for a way to promote to young public their series. Bring in new fans which every motorsports series is struggling for. Historical series won't appeal to newcomers, but rather to people who already know and love motorsports.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Budgetek

Budgetek Active Member AMS2 Club Member

MP sucks big time. Thats the reason.

• Agree Agree x 4
  17. Renoista

Renoista Member

MP & big marketing plays the role here but I would drop my 5 cents on the really underwhelming Demo.

No one (“ordinary PC player”) wants to even try those low powered cars.

Especially if they sound dull like in AMS 2 demo. For example, I just take a ride with Copa Petrobras free demo and it’s a day & night experience.

• Like Like x 1
  18. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

agreed, the demo is so poor it would be better to not have it available , I recommended ams2 to a pal they tried the demo then asked me why on Earth I recommended to him

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

In my eyes this Demo was more a paid commercial for VW and a cause of the financial healthyness of REIZA at the moment. So at the end of the day not completely poor desicion to make the demo....
    And yes, Copa de Marcas Petrobras was the initial ignition for my love to REIZA. Just another "real DEMO" of this quality would be outstanding.... :hurrayreiza:

• Like Like x 1
  20. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Imo after Reiza puts multiplayer in a better state it would be interesting if they did a Steam free weekend, that would be way better than the demo for people who want to give the game a try.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1