Multiplayer join - timer

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by justposted, Oct 6, 2022.

Tags:
  1. justposted

justposted Member AMS2 Club Member

I feel like this must have been discussed, but can't find a thread...

One of my few frustrations with AMS2 is when trying to join lobbies. Frequently I try to join, wait for a bit, then realise that the window for joining must have already closed. Once I've done that 3 times in a row, it gets rather boring. Sometimes it happens when I'm choosing a car, so generally I hit Join ASAP and take whatever the default is.

I would love a timer in the server list that tells us whether lobbies are still open and how long for. Anyone else?

• Agree Agree x 3
  2. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

If it says 2 or under 2 minutes. It's closed. Easypeasy to remember. Then you just wait a bit if it transits to Qualify. If its going to race. You're out of luck.

3. justposted

I'm aware of that rule. But it doesn't show that in the server browser or lobby does it? Just says 'waiting' on a greyed-out button and doesn't change to Join. Or am I being stupid and it's been staring at me this whole time?

4. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If it says "waiting" it means the lobby is about to switch between sessions and you cannot join. If the lobby is indicated as Q in the server browser but you can't join immediately then it's already entering the race and all you can do is join the race as a spectator. At that point you can leave for another lobby.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yes, this has been brought up since 2020 if I'm not mistaken. It is bad UI communication, possibly because Reiza has run into some engine limitation (yes, I'll say engine limitation, otherwise it would have to be Reiza willingly designing terrible UI, which we know is very unlikely).

Ideally it should display a countdown on the server list itself, but I guess the UI logic isn't responsive enough for that to happen.

6. Dave Stephenson

Dave Stephenson Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

If you click the main part of the row (or wheel/gamepad equivalent 'A') in the server browser instead of the quick join button it will take you to lobby detail screen where you can see the approximate remaining join time of the current session before joining

upload_2022-10-6_17-24-38.png

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  7. justposted

Ah, that's useful. Thanks. Now at least I don't have to go through the join / wait / return to lobby cycle. Wish we could get that 'min(s) remaining' timer in the server browser but in the meantime that helps a lot.