AMS2 - User Livery Overrides

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Rob Thompson, Dec 31, 2020.

1. LeFredSki

LeFredSki New Member

Hello there

Pardon the interruption but i'm running trhough difficulties while trying to make custom liveries

I've been downloading the template file for the porsche 911 gt3r, but when i open it in photoshop (i do have the nvidia plugin required to read .dds files) the image isn't in 4096 x 4096, and there's only wire design, and no layers in the file that i can edit to make a liveryy.

What did i do wrong ? anyone can help me would be much appreciated,

Greetings

2. Xela1

Xela1 BANNED BANNED

… add another (new) Layer. Or DL „paint.net“ for free

3. Xela1

Xela1 BANNED BANNED

Hope @Rob Thompson will figure out that metallic shader thing for all colors ….

4. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

You have done nothing wrong, some of the templates are 4096x6144 for whatever reason, might be something to do with the model and stretching of certain areas of the wireframe... But that's just a guess, the SuperV8 template is the same...

In that particular file the "colour fill" layer is where you should paint, if for some reason that layer doesn't appear for you in your photoshop, just create a new layer and place it underneath the wireframe and then use that wireframe to connect the different parts of your livery...

If you are brand new to custom liveries I can walk you through further steps if needed... Otherwise I hope that gets you on your way to creating what you want... :)

5. Petrolhead

Petrolhead Member AMS2 Club Member

Did custome liveries dissapear when we move to ver 1.4?

6. Andrew Rose

Andrew Rose New Member

Mine certainly got messed up badly. I've no idea whether it's just me, or more widespread. Also, certain livery options seem to have gone entirely - there used to be 10 livery slots for the Mclaren 720s - now there are only 6.

I hope someone can tell us what changed so I can get the liveries back how they were...

7. Michael Enright

Michael Enright Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

There was an explanation of this in the AMS2 Beta Forum awhile back, but just can't remember the reasoning. Could be more cars coming, not sure.

8. LeFredSki

LeFredSki New Member

Thank you ! i followed your advices and managed to get some design out there, painfully though ...
    I tried tonight some online racing but... Custom skins doesn't seem to work online as i found that some other drivers had my own livery on their car, too...

is there a way to fix this ?

9. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

there is no distribution system.
    All participants must have the same overrides, the everybody sees the right livery.
    good for leagues, not so good for public online

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Scar666

IIRC that's due to a limit in the total amount of skins per class, so as more cars per class are added some have to be taken away in order to keep the total amount of skins per class at that number... Which was 40 if my memory serves correctly... And it's something within the engine so it cannot be avoided short term...

The GT classes are the most heavily effected by this as there are incoming cars to already large classes...

Unfortunately if someone uses the same livery ID they will have the same skin as your system will find the livery ID and apply the override...

As that seems to be a part of the way the engine works I'm guessing a livery distribution system will not fix this issue in public online races if it's at all possible to implement... It would help make leagues easier to run though...

I do wish Reiza would update their templates to 3D model versions, it makes the process so much easier...

11. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Do you mean that you see the same skin twice or more?
    There is a max for each class, but there is no warning in the public lobby where there is one in Single Race.

20221014103707_1.jpg
    20221014103736_1.jpg

12. Scar666

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  13. Chrisi74

Chrisi74 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
  14. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

why does my M1 Pro Car always only red where do I make a mistake? The Templet from here is also not square? Why is that? I use the Nvidia DDS Photoshop Plug in. Which setting should I use? Maybe the error lies there.

15. Wolfgang Herold

a template doesn't need to be square.
    If you want you can downscale a 6x4k template to 4x4k b4 releasing, but its not nescessary.
    for M1 you just need to export as dds1.
    Red means wrong format or file not found.
    Check filesize, i found people complaining about their dds's and when the sent to inspect it had a filesize of zero.
    Ther could be also a typo in the override xml oor e.g. a wrong path.
    Just saying "help, it does not work" is too few information
    Send us a zip with your xml and dds and someone here will find the bug ;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. WarmRed

I will upload my test files. Does the DDS file have to be in the same folder as the XML file? I have created a new um subfolder in the override folder where I copied the DDS file.
    sorry for my bad english my native language is german

17. Wolfgang Herold

subfolder.
    And you must enter that subfolder path correct in your xml
    You can ask me in german in the VirtualRacing eV forum ;)

• Like Like x 1
  18. WarmRed

Ich mach da mal ein AMS2 Paint Thread auf...

19. Scar666

Wolfgang has outlined the major reasons for a red skin, the only other thing I can think of is the following...

Dependant on your image editing software, when you add a layer and move it on your paint it can create a bigger canvas for the image if the working area of the new layer sits outside the canvas... In GIMP for example I've had a couple of skins have issues where the canvas is changed by only 1 pixel and instead of 4096x6144 it was 4096x6145 and would become red in game as a result... The ratio of 4x6 or 4x4 must be perfect...

If this is the case before you save anything select all and crop to selection in order to stop this error... If you've already saved with the extra pixels then you will have to crop and double check against the original template file that the wireframe and paint hasn't been moved out of position by the cropping, to check just open the original and copy or duplicate over the Wireframe layer...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. WarmRed

Thanks for the help. I have found the error in the meantime. I did not enter the subfolder in the path. After that everything was displayed correctly. Now I'm struggling with the Spec and Fresnel DDS....