1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Emir_de_Passy

Emir_de_Passy Member

I saw no gains by using OPEN XR tool kit in AMS2. But massive ones in Iracing, AC and MSFS 2020. not sure why and curious to know what other people are experiencing.

2. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

I think it is because Isn t the same graphic engine.

However, with my 1080ti I see an gain in fps with openVR

3. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

This is a know issue we have documented in an another thread.
    On MP ranked there is a clear pattern when a.crash occurs or when Someone leave or resign.
    On other setups Isn t full clear what is the pattern, even I ve Seen this happening sometimes when I hit wall on TT or when a crash occur with AI during offline race

Again what I ve observed with FPSVR is the GPU or CPU goes to idle when the freeze occurs

4. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Hi, I found out that when you define your virtual VR playspace (chaperone) you can put a virtual desk in your playarea. I did that and now it shows up when I play Automobilista 2 in VR (because I'm using this desk in real life), which is annoying/distracting. I have Oculus Quest 2 via Link cable connected to my PC.
    Any suggestions how you use and have set up the virtual boundaries (chaperone)?
    Best thing IMHO would be if those virtual lines would only come up for roomscale or standing games and they should automatically be turned off for seated games like in simracing. Or it would be nice if we could at least make profiles to turn them off for specific games at least.
    Any ideas/hints how you set up your VR boundaries (chaperone)? Of course it's only relevant if you use your VR headset not only for simracing ;-)
    I don't want to "draw" the boundaries new each time before I play an other VR game. And I'm not sure if it's the SteamVR chaperone or the Oculus chaperone which shows up?!

5. richiehatchet

richiehatchet New Member

@Mike1304 You could try switching Oculus guardian mode to stationary when sim racing

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Emir_de_Passy

Emir_de_Passy Member

Anybody tried VR AMS2 with 4090 yet?

• Like Like x 1
  7. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Yes. Been using it since yesterday.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Mike1304

... ... ... and? ... ... ... would you be so kind and tell us about your experience with the new card? ... ... P L E A S E ... ...

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. DaWorstPlaya

Sure, it's every bit as good as the reviews claim. I basically tested my "clear weather" 3080Ti VR settings in a night race with Thunder storms at Long beach. Which I think is one of the hardest tracks to render in VR. Started middle of the pack so I would have headlights both in front and behind me, with rain and lightning and the game ran butter smooth.

With the 3080Ti I usually would have to drop SS by about 40% to get smooth frame rates in these conditions. Held 90fps in the G2 throughout the entire race without a hiccup. It truly was amazing, everything looked clear and sharp and ran stutter free. A quick glance at the GPU usage in the taskmanager showed about 90% utilization in those conditions. fpsVR showed a max of 10ms max at times. This thing is a raster monster. It is the 1st time I've actually been happy about a GPU upgrade where I felt I didn't have to compromise in VR.

I am running the SteamVR open FSR mod and global supersampling set to 90% in SteamVR. I think the days of dropping graphics settings for night and rain races might finally be over.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. Mike1304

Sounds good. And your CPU doesn’t bottleneck against this GPU monster?
    Isn’t AMS2 a very CPU intensive game?

11. DaWorstPlaya

Not at all, the 5800X3D is one of the fastest gaming CPUs out there rivaling the soon to be released 13th gen Intel in benchmarks. Plus AMS2 isn't as CPU intensive as ACC in VR.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Mike1304

Maybe I should also upgrade my system? From 3090 to 4090?
    Although my 3090 is a very good GPU I still struggle in VR at night/rain and I only use a Quest 2 (via Link cable) which has only small FOV and low resolution compared to a Pimax for example.
    Would upgrade to 4090 help or would I still struggle because of my 10900k-CPU? Or should I upgrade the CPU too (to 13900kf for example)?
    I always read that the high end Nvidia cards “need high resolution so that the CPU is not limiting” but I don’t understand what that means. In my case it’s the other way round: whenever I increase the resolution in VR my framerate drops!
    Any forecasts how much such an upgrade would affect my VR performance in AMS2 (“only GPU”-upgrade OR “GPU AND CPU”-upgrade)?

13. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

I’d like to know this too
    I use a 3080 with a quest 2

we will know soon I expect

• Like Like x 1
  14. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

If your only problem at the moment is that you have to turn graphics settings down, then the 4090 will let you turn those up. If your problem is that you have to run at a lower framerate than you'd like, then the CPU may come into the equation.

For each frame you render, the cpu needs to do some work, and so does the gpu. For 90fps in your headset that means both the cpu and gpu have 11ms (1000/90) each to produce a frame (they can work in parallel to a large extent). If your cpu takes 17ms per frame, but your gpu only takes 5ms, then you are 'cpu bound' and you'll get 60fps (1000ms / 60 = 17ms - ish). If your cpu only takes 5ms, but the GPU 17, then you still only get 60fps. Your fps is tied to the slowest out of the cpu/gpu.

If you are gpu bound, reduce resolution or settings to get gpu frametime lower and increase your overall fps. If you are cpu bound and there aren't any settings you can change (like LOD or number of AI opponents for example), then you may as well up the graphics settings (resolution etc) as it won't cost you any frames, but will look nicer. If you've maxed all the settings out, and you're still cpu-bound, it's not the end of the world, it just means you're not getting as much out of your GPU as you could with a better CPU.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. sillib

sillib New Member

Tested today on free practice on Nurburgring GP, HP G2, MSAA High, everything on ultra, 90fps 9.7 miliseconds/frame.
    It is more than I actually expected, so anyone that is thinking about getting one, it delivers!!

16. Mike1304

Very interesting. Thank you. Did you try rain/night too? Someone wrote that 4090 still can’t handle night/rain races at ultra settings…

17. sillib

sillib New Member

No just that practice session. It wouldn t suprise me though if you d have to lower some settings in these conditions since we all know how demanding that can be. But to tell you the truth because I was gradually raising the settings that if you are in 100% headset resolution and at MSAA high the rest from medium to ultra affect mostly performance than visual update, if that makes sense! What I mean is that lowering some settings for night and rain a lot... would still provide an amazing experience!! But it needs to be tested to be sure ofcourse.

• Like Like x 1
  18. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

19. vvvnew

vvvnew New Member

Have a quick question about the 4090 and rain in VR. I upgraded from a 3080, which simply couldnt handle rain in ASM2 VR. (even though rain looks pretty awesome in this game). The drops were extremely severe (down to 30s-40s from smooth 90 in the dry)

On the 4090, iam able to play 100% steamvr SS (reverb g2, so around 3000*3000 per eye) all settings high with a smooth 90 fps. But i havent had time to test it in rain yet. If someone already has data on this, would be useful to compare against my test.

I dont know if the recent updates include any optimizations with respect to rain performance.

20. Emir_de_Passy

Emir_de_Passy Member

Thanks for the 4090 replies.
    What does free practice mean in terms of amount of cars on the grid?