AMS2 - User Livery Overrides

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Rob Thompson, Dec 31, 2020.

1. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Once you get used to the work flow of them they aren't that hard... It's just not how I'm used to working with Chrome and Matte textures, so it took me a while to get used to it...

What are you struggling with?

2. Scar666

3. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't know how to get an optimal matte or optimal chrome finish. And with which base livery? Here are some samples with the chrome baselivery but I didn't get any real chrome shine.
    sreifen fre black spe weiss.jpg streifen black beide.jpg streifen fre weiss spe black.jpg streifen weiss beide.jpg AutoMattStreifenGlanz.jpg

Last edited: Oct 18, 2022
  4. Xela1

Xela1 BANNED BANNED

5. Scar666

I've found that baselivery allows small improvements towards matte or chrome, it's possible to get both effects under the same skin but you will have to make a trade off between chrome or matte and which you would like to get the emphasis for... Default offers no bonus effect to either but it's still possible to get coloured chromes to work on it as well as matte just not as effective...

A basic chrome (no colour) however can only be achieved under the Chrome baselivery...

Xela1's posts and others within this thread since the start of chrome in AMS2 give us a great guideline of what does and doesn't work... For me this conversation starts on page 42...

Here's some helpful info from the pCARS forums which is still valid for the Madness engine...
    Vehicle custom liveries - How to + FAQ

From your pictures I can see that your spec still has white reflections... You want lighter colours on your spec file... If your blue on your texture file is at 0,0,150 you want the spec files corresponding area to at least be 0,0,200 in order to get a blue chrome...

And generally go darker with the colour on the texture file and the spec lighter than the colour you want so that the mix of the 2 give you your result...

Last edited: Oct 19, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. WarmRed

Thanks for the very helpful info. In iRacing it's easier regarding the spec colors. Would be nice if we could combine the metallic colors with matte in the future. I want to get as close as possible to my iRacing designs (see pictures).
    E6292561-BA9A-4473-BCD2-376F563A931E.jpeg 1E0C4A77-7C28-4029-8E02-DBFF67A3AE57.jpeg E7E6F37B-06DA-498F-85C7-D6AAD7F6831D.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scar666

Metallic textures are on their way, but sadly the chrome and matte effects we have now do not come close to the tuning possible in the methods of other sims and we cannot edit our way to a metallic finish... It's down to the madness engine as to why we have more limitations than the simple RGB of gloss, matte, chrome...

However with a coloured chrome you can have some ability to toy with it, unlike a pure chrome which has limitations, but it's not going to be perfect... Metallic even with a chrome fresnel and matte texture and spec files doesn't pop like the right mix of RGB in other sims...

We'll have new baselivery options specifically for metallic once Reiza finishes their work on it...

• Like Like x 1
  8. Felix789

Felix789 New Member

I think it's time for AMS3. Not just about this but other features. :D But hear me out please. Ever since Papyrus' brilliant Indycar/Nascar games, there must be a reason why very little to no developers provide at least a simpler version of a car/helmet livery creation/preview tool with the game. Is that such a problem? Everything in rF2, iRacing, AC, AMS2 has to be pain in the ass messing around in graphics editing programs externally. Which requires knowing much more about file formats and searching 40+ pages of posts and looking for videos about livery creation... There is much more AMS2 could expand on yet. But since it's driving great like AMS2 does, a sim having this type feature in-game would be everyone's favorite IMO.

9. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

No pain in my ass :rolleyes: With some basic knowledge of the drawing programs Gimp, PSP or what it is that you are used to using, it is already possible to make skins quite simply and you sure have many more options than you have with built-in skin editors, with the advantage that you can use the knowledge for multiple games, and everything you learn can be applied anywhere, even for more useful things than a game, Sometimes you have to make compromises, I think an in-game editor doesn't change that

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

The reason: most of the games we talk about are racing simulators, not 3D paint simulators.:)
    Its Racing games, not Lego Star wars ;)

• Like Like x 1
  11. Scar666

As great as an easy in game painting tool like Grand Tourismo and Forza have, without a community making all the different logos, it in itself is a pain in the arse when what you want to do isn't popular because of the limitations of how you have to build the logos... And what Codemasters offers in their F1 series is a joke...

I'd much rather build something in paint.net, GIMP or photoshop than in a program made by developers who I'd rather they spend that time making the sim drive the way it does... Because if Sony and Microsoft and their huge teams can't do it right, than no one will in this generation of development...

The first to get the driving right and the livery side right would be everyone's favourite, especially with in game livery sharing... But even if it's different to how I've spent over a decade skinning I still like the current set up, and will even more when the helmets and driver suits become editable...

12. Scar666

20221020005129_1.jpg 20221020004825_1.jpg 20221020004929_1.jpg
    20221020004652_1.jpg 20221020004736_1.jpg

• Like Like x 7
  13. WarmRed

I'm making progress with the chrome effect. I am curious when the metallic colors will come here still WIP pictures
    testChrom2.jpg testChrom3.jpg testChrom4.jpg testChrom.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. Xela1

Xela1 BANNED BANNED

I made a tiny VBScript to copy and replace the GT3 xml files to change the loading skins. With it you can toggle between different custom-AI sets by one click. I would like to share it but without an setup.exe it is more complicated to install - any help to generate a setup.exe?

upload_2022-10-21_14-45-51.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 6
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. WarmRed

where to find the BT44 in the Overrides folder? I can not find it o_O.

16. Scar666

I think it's the formula retro gen 1... in the folder formula_retro

17. Scar666

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
  18. WarmRed

I can not edit the Bt44 and also the Lotus of the Formula Retro Gen 1 the new skins are not adopted. I do it exactly the same as the ProCar where it works.

19. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

are you sure?
    check your scripts ;)
    Or download the ready made liveries from our discord :)
    Screenshot 2022-10-23 024242.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-10-23 024308.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. WarmRed

I don't know what I'm doing wrong but it just won't work. It always shows me the default skin although I have linked to my own. Then I must ex probably double check again