RTX4090 and VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by FADOQ, Oct 12, 2022.

1. Fernando

Fernando Active Member

• Informative Informative x 2
  2. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

I finally pulled the trigger and got a bundle RTX4090 TUFF and a PSU 1200 W on NEWEGG

I did some tests and here are the results.
    I ve selected a quick race at hocheneim with Porsche GT3. I choosed this track because on start grid this one is one of the higher ressource demanding I ve noticed, usually on race the number drop around 10% from the number you can see, so I was thinking it is a good point of comparaison
    Also don t look at the average values as I was going from one to other setup there are unrevelant

The left column is only a card swap with all the same graphics options. On right it is only ULTRA with the RTX 4090. Again, numbers goes down when in race.
    I did MP Barthust with P2 cars and Long Beach with F1 Gen 2 on this graphic options and I was around 80%.

Hope this help

Note 1 : my current pc case was to small. I bought a corsair 4000D and it fit nicely, the Tuff is one of the biggest and the power cable isn t bend there
    here is a nice table for card size reference : 4090s compared.xlsx
    Note 2 : the 1200 PSU is big and doesn t fit in all the Case, be aware and look at this spec if you go wild. I had to move the HDD cage to fit the cable from the PSU
    Note 3 : i was suprised to see at idle the card running at 30%. Hope a firmware update will correct that.
    Note 4 : I ve notice some whine sound when card is loaded in a quiet room, not much on idle. When race you don t notice it at all.
    Note 4: I m using openVR not OpenXR yet

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Emir_de_Passy

Emir_de_Passy Member

I have a 4090 and an Aero. I can test any scenario you want but the gains are very significant coming from a 3080ti.
    The only way to make the 4090 sweat is on some tracks/20cars, sunrise/rain etc... And even then that's usually for the first few corners and everything on ultra. By switching Msaa to medium, almost everything is solid ,90fps. I'm still tweaking the settings. Also using opencomposite/openxrtoolkit creates big gains...
    I can test anything you want.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. sillib

sillib New Member

Isn t it remarkable how low the temps are in the 4090. I got the Tuff as well.

5. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Sure all settings Sharing are welcome. I didn't use openXR because on my understanding only openVR was supported by the GTX family, so I have to dig on this Side now as I went to RTX

6. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Indeed I was surprise

7. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Did my first race under rain conditions with my rtx4090.

Montreal / corvette GTE, around 16 players on start grid, all graphic options to ultra/max, Helmet résolution to 100%.

On grid before the green Light FPSvr was reporting GPU at 96%, 68fps, 16ms ( Trends full yellow).. CPU around 5.6ms. ( i5-12600k at 5 Ghz and 16go of Ram ddr4-4000)
    Note : For a steady 90fps we have to stay below 11ms on both.

After the green Light , during the first 2-3 corners There was some green Spike but FPS stayed around 70fps, this was honestly playable but on the edge. I would not have done the whole race like that .. not confortable.

After one lap, more space between/around cars, two cars in front and two cars in my back visible, the GPU when down to 90% and a steady 90pfs for 98% of the remaining race (around 10ms GPU ).
    I ve set MSAA to medium and Will see the impact on rain during next race.

What I ve notice are the droplets that stayed steady on the windshield when you need to set the wiper on High speed to clean it. It was like the wipers didn t touch the windshield. I guess this is not specifically related to VR bit is was a bit disturbing.

8. sillib

sillib New Member

Hey mate, since we both have the Tuff, when my system is shut down there is a red light on, on the side of the power socket on the card. When my system is up and running the red light is turned off.
    Do you have the same behaviour on your card as well?
    From what I ve read so far it is like a standby light. If this light is turned on or blinking when the systen is working then that meams there is a power issue. It never turns on when i m playing.
    Your feedback would be much appreciated!!

9. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

Indeed when pc is shutdowned ( PSU switch at On) There is a red light on the card. As soon I start the pc the Light goes off and the tuff logo illuminates.
    However the way the PC stands I cannot see the Light when I m playing.. I Will take a look

10. sillib

sillib New Member

There is a similar behaviour to both our cards. From my point of view it seems its all good.
    Thanks for your feedback!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Baron Bob

Baron Bob Member

Hi to all,

I just want to share my experience with the 4090.

My settings:
    - registry modified because of WMR and G2
    - NVCP
    upload_2022-11-2_23-7-36.png
    upload_2022-11-2_23-8-16.png
    - in game
    upload_2022-11-2_22-49-35.png
    upload_2022-11-2_22-50-6.png
    upload_2022-11-2_22-50-19.png
    - Steam resolution 100%
    - with FSR 1.1 from NuScorpii (0.77 rs, 0.3 radius)
    - 20 grid, same class, GT 4, driving in the middle of the grid
    - Nürburgring, 60x or real progression, dry, rain, storm, day, night
    Under all combinations of the conditions only for the first two cornes I got ~12-13 ms. After then between 8 and 10.5 ms with almost no and realy seldom singel stutters and also not/barely noticeable. Even at the start/finsh no fps drops. As if the game only needs a couple seconds at the beginning of the race to load all shaders.
    I made two settings that may be important for not having micro stutters or only having them once:
    1. I set in NVCP shader cash sice to unlimited
    upload_2022-11-2_23-8-22.png
    2. deactivated HPET

Bottom line from fiddling with the gfx settings is the following: changing settings from max or on/off and so on made mostly no big diffrence (r+em ultra vs high made only 0.5 to 1 ms diffrence for example) or even no perciveable. The thing that counts is the gridsize. What I still can not understand is that between night and day there is no diffrence anymore when it is raining. So everything comes down to if the headlights on or off. No matter what weather or time. Which is strange in comparison to my experience before where I had a setting which was okay for day+wet but could not run at night+wet.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2022
  12. FADOQ

FADOQ Active Member

What have you changed in registry and why ? I didn't change anything, don t use any FSR or openXR and I have a steady 90pfs during Day with everything max out with résolution to 100% in Steam VR even on start.

If I put MSAA to MED I can even get a 90FPS with rain.
    On clear sky Day my GPU is then around 60% during races

What CPU are u using ?

13. Baron Bob

Baron Bob Member

Check this out
    >

> Sign In

5900X @stock

I will give later more information but until now I test everything with full grid. I will test out the grid limit for all conditions later.

14. Cooknn

Cooknn Member

How do you like your Varjo Aero? I've got one on order to team up with my 4090 and 13900K. It's already in my sig' :D Your setup must be like VR nirvana in AMS2. For me it's incredible even with my current headset (HP Reverb G2). Jones'n for the Aero. Can't wait.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2022