1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

OpenComposite OpenXR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by NuScorpii, May 15, 2022.

1. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Nope. Capital VR in --force_steam_VR has no effect in either shortcut or Steam properties.

2. mbucchia

mbucchia New Member

If you are getting OC messages then it means the game does try to use SteamVR so no need to dig more into the command line argument.
    This -13 literally means hard failure to load the OpenXR runtime.

DbgView can help debugging that, you can find a copy in my troubleshooting payload under Utils:
    https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/download/TestApps.zip

You then need to run the app so it fails with -13 and then look for messages tagged "OpenXR-Loader".

• Like Like x 1
  3. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Okay, got around to testing this. Ran dbgview.exe. Ran SteamVR. With Oculus controller, launched AMS2 from SteamVR (with OpenComposite version of openvr-api.dll in x64 folder). Got the -13 error and found the following instances of OpenXR-Loader below. What does it all mean though?

00000946 180.81393433 [37376] Error [GENERAL | xrEnumerateInstanceExtensionProperties | OpenXR-Loader] : RuntimeInterface::LoadRuntime skipping manifest file C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\oculus_openxr_64.json, failed to load with message "Failed to open dynamic library C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\.\LibOVRRT64_1.dll with error 5: 0x5 (5): Access is denied.
    00000947 180.81393433 [37376] "
    00000948 180.81398010 [37376] Error [GENERAL | xrEnumerateInstanceExtensionProperties | OpenXR-Loader] : RuntimeInterface::LoadRuntimes - failed to find a valid runtime
    00000949 180.81399536 [37376] Error [GENERAL | xrEnumerateInstanceExtensionProperties | OpenXR-Loader] : Failed to find default runtime with RuntimeInterface::LoadRuntime()
    00000950 180.81401062 [37376] Error [GENERAL | xrEnumerateInstanceExtensionProperties | OpenXR-Loader] : Failed querying extension properties

4. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just chipping in here as i also use a Rift S and wanted to use OpenXR/Toolkit.

I use the Advanced OVR settings program on Steam. I open that first which launches SteamVR.
    In the Advanced OVR menu, i click on settings and down in that list there is the Use SteamVR/Disable Oculus API which i tick.
    No other launch options or steps.
    Just click on the start AMS2 in SteamVR mode from the library and it launches and uses OpenXR as i've done the per game .dll replacement as per the OpenComposite instructions.

The only other thing i also did was create the OpenComposite.ini file with the 2 options for AMS2 they say to use. (Invertusingshaders=on and admituknownprops=on)

I can use the toolkit and all the FSR/NIS/CAS scaling etc, so it def works.

Of course, native support for OpenXR in AMS2 would be a lot less hassle!

5. Maddin71287

Maddin71287 Member

Hey Guys!

I donĀ“t know, if this video was posted already. I found it two days ago and yesterday i tried the steps to get openxr running. Before the video i had no clue how to setup everything, but with this video it was really simple.

maybe it will help some guys which have, like me, had no clue about openxr and how to get it running.

• Like Like x 3
  6. mbucchia

mbucchia New Member

The key part here is

> Failed to open dynamic library C:\Program Files\Oculus\Support\oculus-runtime\.\LibOVRRT64_1.dll with error 5: 0x5 (5): Access is denied.

This seems to indicate some permission issues perhaps. Honestly I have low hopes that you're going to get this Windows Compatibility mode thing working.

7. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

So is it possible to change something in the permissions?
    [​IMG]

8. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Cheers mate, though could not get it to work with that method. I think there is some kind of file permission issue based on the debug logs.

9. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I've finally tried this out and have had some very nice results, I still need to tinker to find the best balance for me but it's really given me a boost.

As part of my test I set a race at the Nordschliefe for November 18th (today) starting at 5pm but found that it looked like daylight. All the cars had their lights on and my fps looked like it had only taken a relatively small hit compared to other tracks during the day but the sky was lit up like it was early afternoon.

Is this the 'solution' that Open XR toolkit provides or am I missing something in the settings? I found the TruNight, sunglasses settings but they didn't seem to do a great deal.

Thanks

10. fdusud

fdusud New Member

Hi all !
    I need your help.
    Can you tell me if yours AMS2 works with Open Composite + openXR + Quest 2 ?

For me it doesn't works. I am follow instruction of site https://mbucchia.github.io/OpenXR-Toolkit/ by activate OpenXR on Occulus software and replace openvr_api.dll in Automibista\x64 directory.
    Nothing to logs of Open Composite and OpenXR, i am sure it works always with Occulus runtime. (I start AMS2 with Steam and i select steamVR option).

For testing i have delete all files "openvr_api.dll" in Automibista\x64 directory and AMS2 works normaly without error and it works with Occulus runtime.

Thanks for your help.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2022
  11. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

Replacing the Openvr dll file doesn't work anymore. The only way to get OpenXR to work is to use Open composite methold only.

• Like Like x 1
  12. fdusud

fdusud New Member

Thanks @DaWorstPlaya
    How to use Open Composite method for launch AMS2 ?

13. TheMattyOnline

Hi,
    The problem is as you've already guessed. AMS2 starts in Oculus mode regardless of wether you select start in SteamVR mode or Oculus mode. It has been like this for ages and i've given up waiting for a fix or even an acknowledgment that theres an issue.
    You can force SteamVR mode by using OVR advanced settings which is (i think) free on Steam. There's also a program called Oculus Killer on Github that stops the Oculus runtime from working and forces SteamVR.
    I don't know if it's an AMS2 problem or an Oculus problem, but much like VR in other sims, very little ever gets looked at or addressed due to the relatively few VR users.

It would be nice if a dev could at least advise why this is like it is, even if it's to say sorry, it's on Oculus end and there's nothing we can do.

14. DaWorstPlaya

DaWorstPlaya Active Member

This was posted a few posts above. Follow the instructions in this video.

15. fdusud

fdusud New Member

Hi,

@DaWorstPlaya : It doesn't works with open composite switcher. The issue is the same :mad:. Thank you for you suggest

@TheMattyOnline :
    Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try the advanced OVR settings and also the Occulus Killer program. We'll do if I get positive results.

But I agree with you, the developers should be able to analyze this problem or just integrate openxr directly. I think the main problem comes from AMS2 and not from Occulus because the other games (AC , Rfactor) work.o_O

16. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

just because if a beta hack of a new technology is not working like you want, you cannot make the games devs responsible for your problems.
    There are many games making problems with openXR.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. UrsineSaturn9

UrsineSaturn9 Member

Still not working for me on Rift S either. SteamVR doesn't launch without tweaks that creates other issues. Good luck!

18. ohyeah2389

ohyeah2389 It's The Little Things

I just tried AMS2 in VR with my new Reverb G2 with OpenComposite and OpenXR Toolkit and it was fantastic... up until it crashed. Here's the OpenComposite log:

Attached Files:

19. TheMattyOnline

I think you missunderstand.

It's not an issue of wether OpenComposite or OpenXR/Toolkit works. Thats another issue altogether. The problem is, there's 2 launch options for VR (Oculus users)

1) Launch in Oculus mode.
    2) Launch in SteamVR mode.

Number 2 doesn't work, and it does in other games where there is a choice.
    I'm not even demanding a fix. A simple nod from anyone at Reiza that it's even known about would be a start. And after that, an it's on the list to be looked at, or even a sorry, but we have no plans to change it would be ok.

It's no different anywhere else. VR is a niche subset of an already niche sim racing genre, so always way way down anyones to do list.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  20. tonaz

tonaz New Member

me too on quest2.
    any help please?