HUD Customisation - VR

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Goffik, Apr 21, 2020.

1. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I finally dedicated time to position everything to my liking (Reverb G2) and with the latest changes to the HUD I no longer need to use a 3rd party tool for this.

Since I switched from the Oculus CV1 to the Reverb G2 I always found it to be more trouble than it's worth. I'm surprised Steam VR doesn't have a way to natively pin windows in VR so it is always positioned correctly.

The only things left to adjust are the telemetry screen and ICM. At least I didn't see a way to adjust those.

2. WarmRed

WarmRed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

the ICM is unfortunately not movable even for us monitor drivers.
    The ICM is cumbersome to use even for me with ultrawide screen and head tracking so far out.

3. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Well, it helps a lot to enable 30 seconds for the iCM. It's a godsend!

4. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Does anybody have a suggestion for a good HUD placement in VR? My problem is that whenever I find a good HUD setup where all HUD elements are floating free and don’t disturb or block car interiors like mirrors or gauges I jump into another car and there a HUD element is suddenly overlapping the rearview mirror for example which looks disturbing and is immersion breaking (okay a floating HUD element is always a bit immersion breaking :rolleyes:).
    Is there a HUD setup you can suggest which works with all different cars and at least doesn’t block the mirrors views? How do you handle this?
    It would be nice if there would be some kind of intelligent HUD which automatically rearranges the HUD elements a bit so they don’t overlap with mirrors…

5. TronLi

TronLi Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I put mine where the wheel is at. I stacked the tach on top of the tire/brake widget and put the position widget on the left and the map on the right. I did this with Simhub before but this works better.

You will need to adjust the distance and angle too. Click help for the controls.

6. mister dog

mister dog Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Bump; any word on a fix for HUD editing in VR so we can actually select and move all the widgets around?

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. David Collins

David Collins New Member

I know it's an old thread but had same problem with quest 2. Cured by setting headset resolution as low as possible, this allowed me to select everything and move them. Also the + - keys on keypad allow you to move hud closer or further away.
    Reset headset resolution when done and good to go

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I really dislike using a HUD especially in VR but have noticed this problem. The lower half of the HUD isnt possible to grab and move.
    No one from Reiza has commented here, i hope they know this is a problem.

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. Redvaliant

Redvaliant Well-Known Member

If you are running a monitor resolution that is smaller than your actual resolution - say, 1080 by 1200 window mode on an ultra wide monitor - then the VR hud space is reduced and you can't activate the lower elements as your mouse will be off-screen on the actual monitor. The only way I know to fix this is to run the monitor resolution at native so as to adjust fully the VR hud. And, as mentioned above, the keypad keys can enable you to rotate and move forward/back & side to side to the hud elements.

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

not the resolution . I drive with a 1920x1080 window on my screen with VR with the ReverbG1 ( about 2000x2000 per eye )
    I have absolute no problems reaching and moving all items.
    I think you need a 16:9 screen / window for perfekt fit.
    There is/was a similar problem with oculus, but thats another story

11. Redvaliant

Redvaliant Well-Known Member

No you're right about the resolution, it's the Window mode that prevents you from using the full screen area. I just changed my monitor to fullscreen and 1080 and it works. The real issue is that once you've set everything to the edge of the screen and got the height/width/ to your liking, you can't resize the indiviual icons, you have to move the entire frame as one unit - up/down, l/r, large/small.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2023