Brazilian Stock Cars FFB

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Gary_S, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Gary_S

Gary_S Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Just noticing a grainy FFB feeling as the steering loads up through a corner. I am using a DD2 and when I get some tyre scrub or load through a corner, the wheel does this constant buzzing feeling/grainy feeling. It is not vibration motors in the wheel itself, it is purely wheelbase. Anyone come across this? I don't seem to notice it on other cars.

2. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

Hello Gary! This constant grainy feeling can have 2 causes. 1. With the defaults ffb this is always the case with certain cars. 2. If the FEI value at Fanatec is too high, there is also this very similar feeling. The countermeasure is to work with a lot of damping, which (personally I) don't like because it takes away or superimposes "good ffb".

3. Gary_S

Yeah, I'm finding damping at 20% on wheelbase, interpolation at 5, friction and inertia at 5 and 3 seems to solve the problem. Maybe the ams2 ffb output is too noisy by default.?
    I run fei at 80-90.
    As I recall, lowering this begins to introduce latency. Fanatec recommend higher interpolation instead.

4. Danielkart

SEN Auto
    FF42
    FFS-Spitze
    NPD 22
    NFR 1
    NI 6
    INT 2
    FE 100
    FÜR 100
    SP100
    DVR 100
    BLI-Benutzereinstellung
    SH 100
    BRF-Benutzereinstellung
    Einstellungen im Spiel:

Gewinn: 65
    Low-Force-Boost: 0
    FX: 0
    Menü Federstärke: 0

5. Danielkart

what latency? There is no latency. These are the recommended settings from Fanatec. (For me personally) a joke. But if people like it, that's okay too

6. Gagaryn

Gagaryn Out To Lunch AMS2 Club Member

I think you may have misremembered something. Lowering FEI won't introduce latency as it is simply reducing the strength of effects. But increasing interpolation could introduce latency, as it is taking several feedback cues and summing them to a single action.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Gary_S

On the fanatec forum on a number of occasions, the fanatec staff say that lowering FEI introduces latency, and that INT is less intrusive. Maurice has also mentioned it more than once over there. I think they advise not to go too far below 70-80 .
    I am guessing it is down to the driver taking in the signal and down sampling, rather than just basic smoothing. Therefore introducing the latency.
    Here is a link to one I asked about:
    Filters and Latency

8. Gary_S

Filters and Latency

9. Danielkart

As said FEI is an amplifier and therefore there is no latency. They go by numbers or Fanatec recommendations. I go by my feelings and the feedback I get on the steering wheel. If you are happy with how you feel then sticking with it is no problem

10. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Can you do me a favour and test the GT Open Ultima GTR Race car at Kansai for a few laps and let me know if it feels grainy for you as well?

11. Gagaryn

That's Maurice just getting confused again or something lost in translation. He's not Fanatec staff BTW.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Danielkart

Unfortunately, the Fanatec employees have no interest in publishing decent in-game and Fanatec settings. The recommendations for a dd1/dd2 are very up-to-date from 2020 and last changed in August 2021. Therefore irrelevant for me and not a good basis

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Tested all stock cars one after another, (and also the GT ultima ) and they all feel inline with other cars to me .
    Could be a settings or fanatec thing .

14. Gary_S

15. Gary_S

I am not disagreeing with you. I'm just saying what fanatec testers are saying, and most recently Marcel, who I think is responsible for driver development.
    The latency thing doesn't make sense, unless the fanatec driver acts slower to reduce the fei...

16. Danielkart

Ohhh yes, new drivers and new firmware is a never ending story of problems. The statement makes no sense at all FEI from 90 to 100% that amplifies the vibrations even more or the grinding. Or take a look at Fanatec's recommended settings for dd1/dd2. In Game they didn't even list the damping. I'm sorry I can't take this seriously, but if it's true for you it's all good

17. Gagaryn

If you are feeling latency make whatever changes suit you. I've explained that reducing a force doesn't cause latency - it just makes that force weaker. I've explained that increasing interpolation does increase latency because it skips steps by design. I've also explained that Maurice is just a user and not staff, albeit he does some UAT for Fanatec. Having seen the state of Fanatec's software releases and knowing that he had some say in deeming them fit for release I have zero confidence in his opinions. He has no role in development. But you do you.

18. Danielkart

Okay Gary I was now at the rig and tested your problems. Tested with defaults and custom. Your grainy feeling in the curve comes from high (FEI values). With INT you can increase it but this results in a lot of swinging, so the opposite of what Marcel says. Fanatec recommends FX 0 in-game???? All feeling for the road, curbs and and.. is thus lost. Also clearly visible and felt in FFB_graphen. As I said, I go after feeling and feedback everyone as he likes it

• Like Like x 1
  19. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

At some point one has to wonder whether Fanatec are trying to actively sabotage AMS2 by providing crappy "official settings"? And even if they weren't, how could we tell the difference?

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  20. Danielkart

I wouldn't say it so harshly. I would say they are very happy to take people's money, but what comes after that is no longer customer-friendly. And on many fronts there are construction sites that unfortunately they are not able to fix. I just think it's a pity for newcomers who only have frustration and annoyance as a result