Brazilian Stock Cars FFB

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Gary_S, Dec 6, 2022.

1. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

If a user has some issue they don't like so much within the FFB feeling, why not just opt in for a Custom FFB file, and go find the parameters that can adjust the feeling to their liking, even if it means a special set up for a particular class of car/s that are specific to their own wheel characteristics. Right or wrong, at the end of the day you have to just get in there and fix it for yourself.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

a lot of people suggest making custom ffb files but there is zero documentation on how to make a file, so for 99.999% of people them suggestions are pointless

for example i want the in game default with the understeer effect gone or dialled right down so it doesn't go super light through a turn, but literally there is nowhere to find out how to make such a file

3. Danielkart

Danielkart Well-Known Member

I don't think it's 99.99% pointless. If you look at how many people take a custom file. I think more like 99% of people want to load a file and then have fun with it without having to make any changes. We as (modders) spent a lot of hours and days with it and had to learn everything, there was and is no manual for it. Change a value or two and everything is perfect that's just not possible. Nowhere else is there such a large selection of files, be it the defaults or the custom files. If you now want your own personal file, you must also be willing to invest a lot of time in it

4. WhippyWhip

WhippyWhip Active Member AMS2 Club Member

exactly what i said, people always suggesting making your own file if you don't like the games ffb but that suggestion is utterly stupid as there is literally no documentation on how to do so

5. Danielkart

I don't think Kuku, Peter Stefanie, Stakanov, Alegunner or I are stupid. Start on page 1 in Custom force ffb thread and you will understand better and better after weeks and months. If you don't want that, you'll never be satisfied, or you'll take defaults or a ready-made custom.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2022
  6. Gary_S

Gary_S Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, I find with the custom file, the realigning moment from a slide becomes damped the more central it comes. It's almost as of the wheel is catching the side for you.
    Maybe I could turn down the natural damper in fanalab. Currently I have it on 19% and interpolation at 5. Do you recommend turning off any driver side filters?

7. Danielkart

As they say, Gary, it's just recommendations. If it's true for me, it doesn't mean it's true for you. A dd1/dd2 can work well with Ams2 in 2 ways. With a lot of damping but also with little. That's why I listed 2 examples for in-game and base in the file. What I can safely say is that Fanatec's recommendations are simply wrong and incomplete. So look for the best for yourself, especially where you have the best feeling and feedback

8. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  9. momorious

momorious Active Member AMS2 Club Member

As there are a lot of false myths written in this thread regarding FEI and INT: Exactly the opposite to this is true because FEI is NOT just reducing the strength of effects but it actually even elminiates some ffects completely!
    Reducing FEI adds quite a lot of latency to the FFB signal and actually even kills FFB details completely instead of just soften them.

On the other hand the Force Interpolation “INT” (similar to the ‘Reconstruction Filter’ on OSW/SimuCube) filters and smoothens the incoming rough game FFB signal and increases the refresh rate. For example a 60Hz FFB signal (e.g. iRacing) looks like rough steps on a graph and can also feel like this, but using Force Interpolation, the signal is recreated as a smooth curve. In comparison to FEI, this filter is a lot more powerful as it doesn't influence latency as much, has a better smoothing algorithm and doesn't eliminate effects completely. (this is the official description of the INT filter, copy/pasted from Fanatecs Blog, made by the CEO of Fanatec).

In short:
    FEI: softens FFB details and killing some effects completely, introduces a lot of latency on lower values which can easier lead to oscillations. Therefore its highly recommended to use as high FEI value as possible, under almost no circumstances it is recommended to use a lower value than 70 or max. 60).

INT: softens FFB details and increasing the refresh rate without killing some effects completely, also introduces latency at higher values but much less than FEI does so it introduces less oscillations even at higher values. Therefore its recommended to use as low INT value as possible, under almost no circumstances it is recommended to use a higher value than 10 on a Podium DD.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Danielkart

This is Ams2, not I-Racing. Fanatec CEO ? Yes, Fanatec said a lot that they could not keep. If you believe in it, it's okay. I believe what I feel and the feedback I get in the rig and wheel. Let the people decide what they want and not Fanatec's CEO. Theory and practice are 2 completely different things (at least for me)

11. momorious

As you can read, iRacing was an example ("e.g."). The explanation applies to every game, so also for AMS2.

12. Danielkart

Just accept other opinions too. I have no idea why you make such a fuss about it when there are people who prefer other settings. I have nothing more to say about that

13. momorious

Different opinions and using other settings are totally fine. But wrong explanations of settings is not fine... And it's a measured fact that FEI is not just lowering the strength of FFB effects without adding latency as stated by some here. It's a filter which softens effects but by doing it quite aggressively it also completely eliminates some effects which the user then doesn't feel at all anymore. And this filtering adds noticable latency the lower you set the value.
    I also have nothing more to say about this, just wanted to correct the previous false statements how FEI and INT work.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 1