Best audio settings for headphones?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Mike1304, Dec 30, 2022.

1. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I have a “Corsair virtuoso rgb wireless xt” headset which I use for audio output instead of my Quest2-VR-headset-audio (wireless connection of my Corsair headset via USB dongle and NOT via Bluetooth although the headset would also support this).

Does anyone else have this headset or a similar (also with spatial 3D surround sound) and can share his experience/settings?

I have problems with getting the best audio experience out of my hardware in AMS2. It always seems to sound different. The ICue-software seems to use random settings. Sometimes it’s 2 channel sound, sometimes it’s 8 channel sound (sometimes only one of those channel options are available, don’t know why…), sometimes the spatial surround sound options offer “Dolby Atmos”, sometimes “DTS Headphone X” and sometimes “DTS X Ultra”.
    The DTS options sounded good but now they disappeared and only Atmos seems to be available…
    It’s a mess. Anyone else has these problems or knows a solution?

And then I wanted to ask what ingame Audio settings you use with headphones: everything at 100%? Headphone-mix on or off? …

Thanks for sharing your audio experience!

2. Dean Ogurek

Dean Ogurek "Love the Simulation You're Dreaming In." AMS2 Club Member

As a general rule, it's best to let the game audio work as intended by disabling any special effects settings throughout the audio stream.

In my case, I generally use headphones when gaming although, sometimes a 4.1 surround system or Valve Index audio. In each case, the spatial aspect works best when the game audio is not interfered with by outside effects / special environment settings.

For example, all special audio effects in Windows are disabled and device is set to Stereo (for Headphones). In the soundcard settings, I avoid using game-sound presets (SoundBlaster AE7 + SoundBlaster Command) although, some minor basic equalizer settings may be effective in certain cases.

Still, the game-audio stream and its spatial effects are extremely vulnerable to outside interference from 3rd-party programs, in my experience. The impact they have on the final result can be huge and multi-faceted, affecting effect-volume and directional effectiveness as well as other properties.

In AMS2 sound settings, Enable Headphones Mix is advised for best results.

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Thank you for your information. Do you know what "headphones mix" exactly does? It sounds a bit "canned" to me, like it's mixing up the exact spatial surround-sound-positions...?

4. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Disagree. Using something like Dolby Atmos can hugely improve the lower range of sounds and the 3D presence of other vehicles (especially on cheap headphones). "Headphone mix" in AMS2 to me does very little.

5. Dean Ogurek

Technically, I don't know the process used but, I believe the mix is optimized for headphone use. Of course, the audio is still very much WIP so, mileage may vary, and it may be worth experimenting with different settings.

The best audio with my system is through the Valve Index 3D sound with the "off ear" headphones. The soundstage is expanded, giving excellent surround and spatial effects but, that uses its own audio processing via USB.

6. Dean Ogurek

Interesting. I tried it some time ago and wasn't impressed but, I may have to give it another go.

I just know that using my soundcards enhanced software features (PC2 preset) has detrimental effect on the overall spatial / surround results. For example, there is zero indication of where opponents are. Also, changes in effect volume levels are far less apparent.