To Reiza: What physics do you actually want?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Richard Wilks, Jan 3, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks Active Member

Do you call this very good? This is the current WR with this car in this track...this lap alone is a full 8 seconds faster than Senna's real time:

2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I don’t know how realistic it is that the AMS2 version has immens oversteer when the turbo kicks in when in 2nd gear. It doesn’t even give that amount in 1st gear and the PC2 version seemed like it was more equal.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Racinglegend1234

Just watched Senna’s qualifying lap around Brands Hatch and the car looks really stable

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

Even it that outboard footage which always masks what the driver is dealing with , you can see it wriggle out of several of the corners , in fact it has a huge moment under power coming onto the main start / finish line . Those moments look minor on tv , but in the car they would have been unnerving.

5. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

This is something that annoys me a little bit about AMS2 (and other sims). In general it seems far too easy to get close to real life times.

Yea we are sitting comfortably in our homes without the risk of death, but even so I think it should be harder for the common folk to achieve what legends did after a whole life of dedication to the sport.

Edit: think about "I just beat Senna lap time" youtube videos...

• Agree Agree x 6
  6. Richard Wilks

Well the lap is completely nonsensical from a "realistic" point of view. He does the radillon at a whopping 330 kph! And the car is topping everywhere at 360kph, not to mention the twitches the car does at incredible high speeds, that he keeps catching with flicks of the wheel. Incredibly skilled guy, but totally fantasy lap.

• Agree Agree x 5
  7. Racinglegend1234

These might be during a race and not Senna, but the car looks planted from this onboard

8. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I recently saw a video by a pro driver youtuber called driver61, about racing sims and he said that laptimes cant really define the realism of a sim because of all the variables of the track, etc. It was more about how the car felt and responded, we would need someone like him to try his hand at AMS2 and give his opinion to really see how close or far the game is.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

This is not unexpected, most turbocharged cars i’ve driven achieve peak boost in 2nd and 3rd gear .
    it’s where the vacuum is optimal vs gearing for maximum acceleration.
    while you can see the same boost in higher gears it’s l not going to ramp up so fast because of taller gearing.

10. Mazdaspeed

They never where on the "limit" in the races, had to conserve the car and the fuel, so most onboards from races seem pretty tame.

11. Eric Rowland

Eric Rowland Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

12. Racinglegend1234

Here we have another qualy lap by Senna which is a little twitchy, but still quite planted

13. Richard Wilks

I am sorry, but doing the radillon flatout at 330hph is proof enough, as well as hitting 360kph in every straight here. I dont even need the ridiculous laptime to tell that that is firmly fantasy territory.

14. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

This guy restores racing cars and has driven the 98T a few years ago. Read the whole thread, or visit his webpage: https://customers.dtperformanceltd.co.uk/explore

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Richard Wilks

Before i get hit with the inevitable "you don't know what top speeds they did at Spa 1986 in qualy", here they are:

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. Mazdaspeed

Oh, I saw that, didn't know it was the same guy, then we can certainly say AMS2 Lotus is close to the real thing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

You do know you can turn the boost pressure down. In your video you posted you are running's Steal's setup with is 100% boost pressure and likely was never turned up that high even for qualifying runs. Add a bit more front DF and set the boost around 65%

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. Mazdaspeed

Every sim is gona have issues with top speeds and exploits, it's the nature of videogames. I think the record in AC is 1:47 something. But I agree that the top speed of some cars in AMS2 is too high.

19. Richard Wilks

Thats not an excuse when i can garantee that my Lotus 98T never reaches such speeds, without having to hack anything, just by inputing the correct values of drag and power.

Maybe devs should do a better work then.

• Dislike Dislike x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Theodore Schultz

Theodore Schultz Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The arrogance on you. I'm not sure who has wronged you or what vendetta you but it is becoming very obvious that you have one.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 1