1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Usage Query Ryzen 5800X3D

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Benzaah, Jan 25, 2023.

1. Benzaah

Benzaah Member

Hey all,

Ive just upgraded from a 3600XT and a 2060 super to a 5800x3d and a 7900xt. In game I'm seeing 100% GPU utilization but I'm only seeing the CPU hit 3.4ghz and about 30% utilization. For reference I'm running high settings with MSAA on medium, Hitting about 130 frames running 1440 triples. I'm getting good frame rates but my monitors are 165hz panels so I'd like to hit 165 frames without dropping the settings too much.

The CPU will crank up to 100% and its normal 4.4ghz boost while the game is loading but i would expect to see it pushing the CPU harder while the game is running but that's just not happening. I'm wondering if there are some settings I'm missing as I'm hoping that this lack of CPU usage is not hurting my frame rates.

As I'm running triples I cant use any of the fake frame rate generators like VSR or RSR to boost the frame rates us so the raw performance of the CPU and GPU is what Ive got. I'm getting higher than average results when I run benchmarks so I don't think its a hardware issue.

Can any other 5800x3d users confirm their CPU usage for me as this may be correct?

Any other thoughts are appreciated, Regards Benzaah

2. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

If your getting 100% GPU usage then you are at your GPU max framerate. To get more frames get a faster GPU or lower settings or resolution. Seeing 100% GPU is preferable than 100% CPU. It just shows your CPU is fast enough to achieve the GPU's max performance.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Benzaah

Benzaah Member

Thanks for that, I understand what you are saying but my query is more specifically asking other X3D users if they are seeing higher cpu usage as im wondering if my CPU is working to full effect.

4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

The thing is, if the GPU is already maxed out at 100% you cant expect the CPU to be able to do more, maybe only background tasks now. You could try increase CPU intensive settings like reflections and shadows but other than that it shouldn't matter what CPU you have, if the GPU is not able to push more frames you are at the limit.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Wolfgang Herold

Wolfgang Herold I Like Liveries :) AMS2 Club Member

a CPU in taskmanager is only maxed out to 100% if a program uses all cores.
    Its known, that most racing games just use 2 to 4 cores, so you'll never see higher rates on multicore prozessors. My 5900x 12 core was mostly running on 20%.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

My 7700X bounces around all over the place but uses between 30 - 75% single core but only around 10 - 20% total CPU usage

7. Benzaah

Benzaah Member

Thanks, what sort of Mhz is that pushing? im seeing 4400Mhz when the game is loading but during play im only seeing around 3400MHZ. Can you please confirm your clock speeds?

8. F1Aussie

Usually between about 5400 to 5650 with occasional drops into the 3700 range for a fleeting moment before ramping up again, from memory it is similar in the menu.

9. F1Aussie

I should also mention that I have my fps capped at 143 and the gpu uses between about 40 to 75% usage, I usually run full, grids with real weather and time acceleration