Possible solution to prevent "ghost shadows"

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Flo Renz, Feb 10, 2023.

1. Flo Renz

Flo Renz Member

It seems that they don't appear when you finish your qualifying session driving. I did 3 races yesterday and drove until the timer ran out. In the race, I experienced no of these ghost shadows. I think they appear when you finish the session via "Finish session" button or while you are in the pits when the timer runs out. I can't confirm it 100% because it could be a (slightly unlikely) coincidence because I only did 3 races.
    Maybe somethig in the code gets "stuck" when you finish the session via button or in the pits.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I did some testing, yesterday but did not see any ghost shadows.
    Is there a way to reproduce getting them ?
    What are your graphic settings ?
    What race settings are used ?

3. Flo Renz

Flo Renz Member

Thats hard because they sorta pop up randomly. I only know that they will not pop up when you finish your qualifying driving. Somtimes one of this shadows remain but thats not that bad.

You have to do a race where it changes from day to night. Skip the qualifying session after a couple of minutes. Maybe you will see some of these on the track.

4. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I did 3 times a GTR3 race, starting race and qualification at 16:00 hr, 20x time acceleration to get me through the night at bathurst silverstone and Jerez, I skipped to end in qualificaton when I was in complete darkness.
    I never saw any Ghost Shadows, Should I see them intermediately still in the daylight or show they up later in the race when it is getting dark ?
    Perhaps it is in de graphic settings

Resoluiton - 3440x1440 144Hz
    Window Mode - Borderless
    Texture Resolution - High
    Texture Filtering - Anisotropic 16x
    V-Sync - No
    MSAA - High
    PostAA - Off
    Refglections - Ultra
    Environment Map - High
    Car Detail - Ultra
    Track Detail - Ultra
    Pit Crew Detail - All
    Shadow Detail - Ultra
    Enhanced Mirror - Yes
    Motion Blur - Off
    Render Frames Ahead - 1
    Detailed Grass - High
    Particle Level - High
    Particle Density - Ultra

My Nvidea settings are default, no optimized game ready settings or something like that.

5. Sparviero

Sparviero Member

I'm quite sure is a weather-related condition, as in pCARS 2: I don't remeber which cause the in-track shadow, but are a couple of weather sets.

6. Flo Renz

Flo Renz Member

Some never experience this shadows. Some experience them. It's a little mystery.
    I only can say that I experienced them when I skip the session.

7. Flo Renz

Flo Renz Member

I also thought its the weather setting. But I did a coule of races with the same weather settings and sometimes they are there sometimes not. I just can say that I don't experience them when I don't skip the session

8. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Ghost shadows are shaped like a car one...my suspect is the game is recording/tracking AI positions on track and sometimes it glitches and leave the shadow visible even after the car is gone or back on pits....

Some kind of error on live track technology when recording to file car/track status (I don't know how to say better)

Did you notice any difference if running the game on HDD or SSD?

9. Flo Renz

Flo Renz Member

Im running it on SSD, I had PC2 on a HDD and experienced this shadows. So I don't think this makes any difference.

10. Dylan Hale

Dylan Hale Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Have played both PC2 and AMS2 on both a SSD and HDD, no difference between the two.

11. DaVeX

DaVeX AMSUnofficial Staff AMS2 Club Member

Thanks guys, just asking since happened to me in the past and more recently with a couple of games to have some artifacts in-game. Specially when playing open world games which needs to render a lot of data between scenery and AI, there were a lot of glitches from objects loaded in the wrong place or missing textures, etc