To Reiza: What physics do you actually want?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Richard Wilks, Jan 3, 2023.

Tags:
  1. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

Reiza are doing a great job overall

I do feel tyres should be a bit more “obvious to user” reactive to heat etc,

2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Certain cars should slide less too

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Fabio Aragão

Fabio Aragão Member AMS2 Club Member

os fanboys destroem o AMS2

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks Active Member

Well if you mean they defend something that is not correct, i agree yes.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. F_B

F_B Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Well tbh every sim has a forum where some fanboys can be found. Nothing new. I think it is vital and helpful to be open to criticism and feedback. I don't think AMS2 is perfect neither does Reiza probably think that. As we all (hopefully) know: this is a long-term project. This sim is just three years old and I hope there are so many more years to come.

• Agree Agree x 4
  6. Racinglegend1234

Might be biased, but think the fanboys of AMS2 are the ones who are least likely to say everything is fine and has no problems

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I invite all the people moaning about "AMS2 fanboys" to go visit the Kunos or Studio 397 forums and open any thread that dares criticise the physics to see truly uncritical people leaping to defend the devs every step of the way. Or go to the RaceRoom or rFactor 2 Discord and post anything critical of the physics, then observe as the devs and their lackeys descend to mock you for not understanding their amazing "hardcore simulation". Then when you point out that a real-world race team engineer says this is not at all how the cars work in real life, they ban you for being "too negative".

In comparison, this forum is a haven of enlightened discussion (at least some of the time). If you post opinionated stuff based on half-truths or vague appeals to authority, you'll get pushback, but very few people here are saying the AMS2 physics are in any way perfect.

• Winner Winner x 8
  8. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Did you forget the sticky-diff chapter that happened here?
    Or what happened when Broadbent said on one of his videos that AMS2 physics didn't feel quite right (during the early days, with the sticky-diff still not discovered) and got flamed for his (correct) opinion that there was something wrong with the game physics back then?
    This forum might be a much less toxic environment than those that you mentioned, but the strong bias is still easily noticeable.

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

Of course there's a bias, in the end we're all fans of the game, that's why we're here. You'll hardly find anyone here who uncritically thinks everything is the best it could be. If so, drop some names, I can't recall anyone.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  10. sgsfabiano

sgsfabiano Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't have the time to go post hunting. Besides, it wouldn't be nice to call out people, quite not polite.

For anyone truly interested, I'd recommend to use the search feature.

11. Kuku

Kuku Flying Kiwi AMS2 Club Member

The broadbent saga was more about the complete lack of tact and also he didn’t make any effort to explore further than one car that was fairly new and was always going to be receiving further updates.
    It was a lazy disinterested clickbait video imho.

• Agree Agree x 11
  12. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The sticky diff was discussed here in detail well before GM did any videos on the topic.

13. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

There's a very small handful of cars that need some love in this area... Most of them street cars...

Most of the older cars had that extra slip before the slide we have in AMS2, especially before the 90s as the evolution of tyres was a lot closer to their current states from then on... And the formula cars like the 98T are pretty well represented...

14. Scar666

That's 90% of youtube for ya...

Lazy clickbait... It's easy to be negative about something without actually experiencing the full experience and get a lot of people to believe it... As we've seen over and over again in various public forums...

The CART cars are a classic example... Where noobs will go to an oval track and use the default set ups and post videos about how it's wrong... When a lot of people have a tonne of fun on the ovals in those cars because they spend time working on a set up...

15. Coldsalmon

Coldsalmon Member AMS2 Club Member

I love everything because I'm too ignorant to know the difference. I do like to get out my popcorn and read all the debates though.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Racinglegend1234

I wouldn’t expect people, who don’t know anything about setups, to know what to change with the CARTs so they feel good. Certain YouTubers probably can fix those issues, but not all. Grouping people and calling them noobs might be not the best

17. Scar666

I don't expect them to because youtube is over saturated with clickbait and people looking to make a quick buck from it... However their perspective is rendered moot if they do not even bother to take the time and look into the many tutorials of how to set up a car in a sim racing environment before making their videos... Especially as ovals require a completely different philosophy... So I might as well watch some random youtube chef who has never driven a car in their life tell me about the sim racing title in the video... It's about as useful to me...

Having to build your own set ups is not something new to sim racing... ACC has really spoiled a generation of sim racers with it's various track specific set ups for every track in the title... Before that for any default series leagues would test out default set ups for months before hand to tune the cars to the tracks... Because outside of a handful of tracks the default set up on any car would be rubbish... A lot like AMS2...

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Aza340

Aza340 Active Member

Yeah because the default setup should never be taken as being a good starting place !
    Why wouldn't you think that ? Who on earth would expect a default setup to behave like that , unbelievable.

19. Scar666

Exactly... Never take the default set up as a great starting place... Number 1 rule in sim racing until ACC came along...

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Richard Wilks

Richard Wilks Active Member

No amount of setup work can "fix" what is wrong with the CART cars around big Ovals, specially indy.

• Agree Agree x 2