1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. lensman45

lensman45 Member

Virtual desktop had a recent update and is now much better than VA. However it assumes you are going to use it wirelessly with a good WiFi 6 network. Hopefully the Pico streaming software will improve in time.

2. Wilfred de Ruijter

Wilfred de Ruijter Active Member AMS2 Club Member

After testing I couldn't see any significant improvements on the Clamp and OffsetBias.
    I must be missing something. I cannot image that the scenery and cars further away look so blurry. It looks like a heat haze.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2023
  3. Motoneon

Motoneon New Member

Ryzen 5600X
    RTX 4080
    HP Reverb G2
    Which is better than SteamVR or OpenXR ?

4. Shodan0000

Shodan0000 Active Member

With Nvidia probably by far openxr

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Wilfred de Ruijter

Do you have a clear image? I have an 4080 and a Ryzen 5800x. But my image stays blurry.

6. Motoneon

Motoneon New Member

I used Quest 2 connected via USB 3. It was not clear and there were delays.
    I am currently using HP Reverb G2 with Display port connection. The clarity of the picture is better than Quest 2. There are no delays. There is still a problem when the textures are twitching or shimmering in the distance, but it seems to me that this is a problem of the game engine, because it occurs on all the helmets that I have tried
    In a week I will get Pico 4 and will be able to compare the quality of the picture. But I will be using a Wi-fi connection, so I don't expect a clear picture like on G2.
    RTX 4080 is capable of holding a stable 90 frames per second at a resolution of 2160p per eye for the G2. I am satisfied with the picture quality and smoothness of the G2, but I am not satisfied with the FOV. I want to try pimax 8KX, but I think RTX 4080 will not give stability.

7. Wilfred de Ruijter

I am looking for the right settings. The Vr headset suffers a lot from shimmering / flickering. I understood that it's because the textures have a too high resolution to show on a pixel of the display. So the pixel doesn't know which colour to show.

8. Wilfred de Ruijter

And indeed I got a better image with a lot less shimmering setting the Anti-aliasing lower from 16x to 2x and Supersampling down to 4x, texture quality I moved it from high to medium. But I think I haven't found the optimal setting yet.

9. JoeGun

JoeGun New Member

I thought this game was supposed to be better than Assetto Corsa.
    I have the new pico 4, And I can only go up to 1920 x 1080 resolution, which means the graphics look crap, is there a way of changing the resolution or have I just wasted my money on this game. any help is welcome.

10. Brainbug

Brainbug Inside Virtual Reality AMS2 Club Member

Start from here:

11. Gazzawesty

Gazzawesty Skunkedup AMS2 Club Member

I use a pico4 and coming from a rift s it looks brilliant. I have a 3070 laptop, so not the best, I use virtual desktop with hvec. Make sure in Steam vr settings to put resolution to manual and 100 per cent On Pico I run 90hz, virtual desktop at high and in game mostly low settings. This build of ams2 seems to stutter a bit more than before but performance is pretty good.

12. JoeGun

JoeGun New Member

sorry but unfortunately unless I can change the resolution it still looks crap, and it's just going to make me feel sick which means I've wasted my money, surely there must be a way to change the resolution.

13. JoeGun

JoeGun New Member

But Thank you for trying to help, it's much appreciated.

14. Gazzawesty

When you launch in vr you do realise that the resolution listed in the game settings is just for the monitor only and has no effect on the resolution of your vr? Mine also is set to 1080.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. JoeGun

JoeGun New Member

so how do I change the resolution in the game for VR

16. Gazzawesty

That depends how you are getting the game to the Pico. If you are using the built in streamer then I can't be much help as I never got it to work. But you want hvec on ultra and auto bitrate off and it set to maximum. Steam vr Resolution set to manual and 100 per cent and in game msaa on high, the rest on low, hardware depending of course.

17. JoeGun

JoeGun New Member

I'm using virtual desktop to connect and I have it set to hvec and auto bitrate. i will try to play around with it a bit more and in graphicsconfigopenvrdx11.xml aswell , thank you for your help :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. Gazzawesty

Turn off auto bitrate... It will make your image horrible. In the XML on the rift I used 2.9 and it made a world of difference. With the higher resolution of the Pico I found anything above 1.0 looked really edgy.

I'm sure you will find settings to suit as the difference for me was massive.

19. Gazzawesty

I also make sure the space warp thing is off too in vd.

20. Wilfred de Ruijter

The challenge with VR is that there are so many places where you can change something that will result in a different quality of the image. I found these locations:
    upload_2023-2-17_14-38-2.png
    At the moment I have a reasonable / good image, but I still see some shimmering of buildings and tree. Cars further away could be crispier and brighter.
    Also. OpenComposite, as a system-wide install, did not work. so OpenXR without OpenComposite does function, but the CPU load is higher than just SteamVR. With OpenXR I was CPU bound with a GPU headroom of more or less 30%. The Github page of OpenComposite states that it does function with AMS2, but I got an error and had to bypass it.
    I choose to uninstall Nvidia Inspector. It gave me more options to explore (test) and I got the feeling that it wouldn't give me a better picture.
    For the settings o SteamVR and AMS2 I looked at a lot of youtube videos.
    So most of my time I spent changing the settings of the Graphicsdx11.xml file.
    I found that info for the Pico 4 wasn't yet available and the settings in this file changed from type to type of VR headset.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1