Tire clarification

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by LeakyValve, Feb 16, 2023.

1. LeakyValve

LeakyValve New Member

Quick note. If this is answered else where I apologize that I couldn’t find it.

Quick questions about tyres as a whole in AMS2.

1. is there an optimal hot pressure/temp for every group of car(gt cars vs formula ones)? Depending of course on track and weather

2. Has anyone found a good temp for rain tyres in damp and wet wet conditions

3. Is the there a “real” difference between the soft /hard tyres for formula cars

again is this has been answered please send me to the right link and I’ll remove this one.

happy racing

Leaky

• Like Like x 2
  2. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

1. Watch steelcast27’s video on it
    Don’t have a answer for the other questions, but there should be a difference for 3

3. LeakyValve

LeakyValve New Member

I’ve watched his videos on set ups. They’re great. I may have missed one talking about tyre pressure and temp ranges. If you can, like the one you’re thinking of

4. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

I’m currently making a document which I would like to have all basic info and tips about setting up cars in sim racing. I will first think about AMS2 and tips about setting up different cars. If someone watching this thread would like to add something, they can. I will Hope to publish a first draft in the forum in maybe 2 weeks

5. LeakyValve

LeakyValve New Member

Nice. I think I’ve watched that one. And from what little testing I’ve done I’ve made the following conclusions.

1. For myself using mostly the U.S.A. formula gen 3 cars and the formula ult gen 2 cars I’ve found the ideal temp to be between 75-95 degrees C. Steel touches on the difference between the I-m-o but I’m saying the overall temp. This could change for GT cars etc. haven’t tested.

2. Tyre pressures and temps work in some what opposite ways. Lower pressures will induce more heat into the tyre over all. And higher pressure will help with over heating. however too low and you will burn through tyres on scrubbing in corners and have the chance to over heat them. Too high and you may lose lateral grip in corners and under braking which again. Maybe induce more wear than desired. This is touched on with contact patching and using the mfd in the Steelcast series. I’ve found using time trial works well as the tyres don’t degrade. Using time trial is (in my opinion) ONLY GOOD FOR TEMPS. I’ll stand by this because you can get an okay grasp of temps in TT. However if you make a TT setup and load straight into a race (with race fuel and a different track temp) your pressures and adjustments maybe be way out of whack. To combat this I’ll use a solo practice session with the following settings. Damage off to the vehicle and mechanicals of it (basically just leave tyre wear on). Date needs to be set to default (will go into this later) I set the track to medium rubber so it’s a bit scrubbed in. Make the weather light cloud as this should hopefully set the same conditions as TT. Progression can be normal. Start time 12 or 2 pm.
    THE DATE - the date system in this game is actually incredible. However for the sake of not screwing yourself id suggest using the default date. As that puts you on track at a date the track is actually raced on.

USE THIS SESSION WITH EXPECTED RACE FUEL TO SEE HOW THE TYRES WEAR. I’ve loaded TT set ups in with other cars and different track temps and as soon as race fuel is added the tyre wear catches me off guard.
    If you have the time and would really like run a mock race (in my case I have a league race I can model one after). This is great for wear, and setting and making sure your pit stops work.

I’m sure I could get a bit more out of these gen 3 U.S.A. cars with some work in the suspension with the dampers and such. I’ve only been playing with roll bars and wheel angles and ride height to make the car feel better to drive. I’ll take “drives the same every lap” over “is a rocket ship on the edge as long as I get there” any day.

6. azaris

azaris Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

That's not really true. An overinflated tyre will overheat. Theoretically an underinflated tyre can overheat too, but the minimum tyre pressures in AMS2 are usually set high enough that this doesn't happen.

• Informative Informative x 1