No slipstreaming

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Nats, Mar 1, 2023.

1. Nats

Nats Member

I was driving the Daytona Speedway yesterday trying out some stockcars to see if I could get a Nascar experience lol, but there are some weird things going on.

Firstly there is no slipstreaming / drafting effects it seems. Doesnt matter how close you get to the car in front you do not gain any speed effects from slipstreaming.

Secondly there are some strange speed effects going on for that track. I speed up on the first curve then stay the same speed on the straight, then slow down dramatically on the last curve. You would expect to speed up on straights and slow down on curves but this doesnt happen.

These weird effects make a bit of a farce of the oval tracks. Is this stuff being looked at? I was looking forward to oval racing and recreating my early racing experience with the old Indy500 game, but its nonsense at the moment.

As way of a comparison the Daytona track in Project Cars 2 works as it should (apart from lack of slipstreaming in that game as well) and tbh the driving experience on that track is far superior to AMS2, the bumps make the speed so much more realistic. Might be overdone a bit actually. The PCars2 Indy cars seem to skid around the track quite unrealistically, but you can't have everything in one game it seems!

The AMS2 experience around Daytona Speedway is very flat in comparison and the bumps you can see in the car do not translate to the wheel.

2. Steve Young

Steve Young Active Member

Slipstream Bump drafting works fine, check your rpm as you follow some
    one.. they will rise... stay behind them and build up momentum... Have Fun Hoping for Nascars

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

I'd recommend checking wing angle and cooling ducts for engine and brakes. Maybe even with draft the drag produced is just too high and you additionally come into bumpdraft already if too close (which accelerates the car in front aswell, but this usually happens at very close distance)

If it's about modern stocks - they aren't concipated to run ultra high speeds in a straight line and they have still fairly overkill aerodynamics towards downforce on ovals which is usually more draggy.

Also too high RPM could mean that there isn't enough power from the engine anymore (not sure about the HP/torque curve for the Stock right now but in some cases you get over HP/torque peak and your car just isn't able to accelerate much further)

Draft definitely works, with sidedraft you can also slow down your opponent very slightly, when having your front overlapping the rear wheels of the opponent a bit when attempting to overtake while you get still some draft advantage.

4. Nats

Nats Member

Hmmm well I will look again at it cheers for the replies. Not quite sure what is up with Daytona as a track it definitely seems a strange driving experience to me, PCars2 seems a lot better and a heck of a lot more exciting. I would like to try Indianapolis but not sure I really like ovals in this game.

5. neal

neal Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Yesterday I was racing old minis around old Spa and lamenting the lack of slipstream effect, this was in the beta.
    edit:
    to clarify, I mean I didn't experience slip-streaming when I expected I should.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2023
  6. Sparviero

Sparviero Member

For car player, pCARS 2 slipstream for the cars behind works well (at least with LMP1, LMP2, LMP3, Gr.C, Gr.6, VintProto and GT3). In pCARS 2 is also modeled the beneficial effect not only of the car behind, but of the car in front due to the reduction of rear turbolence. Probably is not as good for AI.

7. Nats

Nats Member

That video doesnt look anything like evidence of drafting. It looks like the AI takes a wider line and slows down and the car behind speeds past him. I am not sure it effectively exists in this game but my attempts havent been done as close behind a car as this, I will have to experiment a bit more.

8. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

It does.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

Monza 10k in the Formula Vintage Gen 2 online...

Plenty of drafting... Up to a second worth of extra time in the draft...

The oval specific tracks also have plenty of drafting...

10. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Drafting works for the player, where it doesnt seem to work as well is for the AI, they dont seem to get the same boost as the player, either AI vs AI, or AI vs player.
    At least on road courses, havent done much oval racing yet.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. herakles

herakles Member

I also observed the AI not trying to get slipstream while it followed me. I was riding Formula USA in Daytona and Gil de Ferran was following me almost at the same speed. But: he drove a little to the left on the back stretch, leaving me thinking: "Why doesn't he try to get my slipstream?" And he didn't...

12. SaxOhare

SaxOhare Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Unfortunately, A long time ago the bumps were noticeable, but there has been a lot of commentary on that and slowly the ffb for bumps disappeared and we are now left with a visual remnant without the corresponding FFB, at almost all bumps Unfortunately