Help - Does AMS2 drivers really want to race online?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by roszman, Feb 26, 2023.

1. DazzyD70

DazzyD70 New Member AMS2 Club Member

Ha. That was my first ever online race in AMS2. I'm very much an offline person. Was very nervous. Qualified last, as I've never driven the track before this week, but earlier in the week I was struggling to do 3 clean laps. Spun part was through first lap, but stuck it out for the experience.

About to try the three clean laps challenge for Suzuka tomorrow, so yes, more than happy to dip my toe into the online experience.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I just did the 3 clean lap challenge for the race at Kansai in the F3, despite not being free for the start tonight. I'd barely managed to complete my out lap before the server was nearly full. It seems that that's a popular combination.

I left them all to it as I had to go to work but I hope they enjoyed it and made a note of the server name. If you can set up some different races with varying starting times I really hope this could take off.

• Like Like x 1
  3. roszman

roszman Well-Known Member

:) nice.

Contrary to race servers, the practice servers are open to anyone, but each driver who is not RCO member will get "You're not a memeber, bla, bla. Please register to racecraft.online" chat message every 5 seconds :p Hopefuly it will increase RCO visibility.

Thanks for feedback, I am preparing P4 AU series ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. roszman

I did few new series, let me know if the schedule is ok: www.racecraft.online/

Unfortunately I don't have any good ideas for series name :/ Maybe you guys can help me out?

And probably each series should have it's own thematic photo...

• Like Like x 2
  5. Coldsalmon

Coldsalmon Member AMS2 Club Member

P4, a great start! I don't know how much sense it makes to name the series after regions - it may be convenient for me to join Europe P4 today but I'm in North America. I'm also not sure how important ping is since I don't race online yet. Would it be a faux pas to join the Europe race?

6. roszman

Nope, not at all :)

I feel you, I will try figure out something better. Thanks for feedback.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

If the time suits you for the Europe race I’d suggest trying it. I’m in the UK but will sign up for the Australasia race at 10.00 UTC in the hope(!) some others playing at that time may be around and join me.

I often join lobbies hosted by players around the world and the ping has been fine.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

That’s fantastic, thank you! I’ll be looking to sign up for a race tomorrow. I’ll need some practice, I don’t know that layout at all.

Thanks again, I’m really looking forward to it.

9. roszman

How about now? www.racecraft.online

@Magnus I've changed the schedule a little. Is it ok with you?
    If you're driving with someone, then spread the word ;) Remember that users outside RCO can not join RCO races, access is restricted by SteamId - driver need to register to race first and then his/her SteamId will be whitelisted for the given race.

10. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

Did you delete the Kansai West P4 race that was scheduled for 10AM tomorrow? It's no longer showing on the website.

11. Coldsalmon

Formula Vee!! :D

Edit: Servers should have intelligible names; this is free advertising, and also help with user experience. Oh you already did this haha.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I can't get online to race at those times - the 10am one that was scheduled earlier was perfect for me.

13. roszman

P4 races are scheduled every 4 hours, starting from 0:00 UTC. So you will have race at 8:00 am and 12:00 am UTC. But ok I will schedule p4 every hour for now, and adjust schedule later on if necessary.

I would schedule all the races every hour, but I am worried that RCO almost nonexsitent user base will be spread too thin.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. roszman

Tell me guys. Is it confusing that RCO main page shows only nearest race? So even if there are races every hour, the web page will show only nearest one.

15. Coldsalmon

I don't think this is a concern honestly, due to the nature of the service. Users will come to RCO precisely because they can't commit in advance to a race time, and they only jump in when they have a moment free. So if you schedule a race at 6PM every day, for example, I'm just never going to do that race. If I have to arrange my schedule to match up with RCO's race schedule, I'm just not going to use the service because that's not the solution I'm looking for. If I could do that, then I would join a league.

I happen to have a moment free right now to race, and so I'm going to hop in a race. If there were no races scheduled right now, I would just close RCO and forget about it until the next time I wanted to race.

I don't know if I represent all of your target users, but that's just that facts of how I would interact with this service.

I think this is good; it may not be obvious at first, but once you look around for a few seconds the information is there. Reducing clutter and extra information is good.

EDIT UNRELATED:
    I noticed that the tracks have been very cold when I did the practice sessions; I assume this is because you're using today's date and it's cold outside in real life. This is pretty cool, but be aware that many rookies will end up flying off the track because of the reduced grip, since they may not have raced in the cold before. This is basically my first race in cold weather, so I'm just hoping to stay on the track. Also if you add AI to the race to fill out the grid, I don't think they are affected by track temperature, so I will probably be like 5 seconds behind the slowest AI. I don't know if the adaptive AI fixes this.

Edit: Lol it's storming in qualifying ... I'm 9 seconds off the pace :p

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  16. roszman

Yep, today's date - I will think about it. Try out few races with AI and we'll find out. For me adaptive AI is working almost ok.

17. roszman

@DazzyD70 I think I've messed up with schedules today, I can see that F-3 race is not starting.

Sorry for that, I will fix it for tomorrow ;)

P4 race didn't started too. Will take a look in to that.

• Like Like x 1
  18. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@roszman Great job on RCO page. Here's some suggestions...

1. Allow users to set their on time zone so the session starts is reflected in that time zone.
    2. Allow Steam/Google/Microsoft SSO provider to have a click login experience.

19. roszman

Thanks for feedback :)

1. RCO website presents time in your time zone.
    2. For sure something to think about ;)

20. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@roszman How do you plan to differentiate RCO vs AMS2 Built-in offering? It would be interesting to hear your thoughts. Is this just an interim tool? Are we at risk of further splitting a tiny community (my fear).

Also, I could not sign up, error page while clicking on "Stream" but also you should add a "ping" from local to server, so we know if we should join or not... or perhaps, put a cap on ping above 300 (too dangerous since cars appears/disappears causing instant accidents).