What’s your FOV at?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by LeakyValve, Mar 7, 2023.

1. LeakyValve

LeakyValve New Member

I’ve had a few videos come across my YouTube feed talking about FOV in sim racing and its importance. After digging a bit deeper there seems to be different “calculators” for different sims (acc/iracing).
    I’m wondering if anyone has figured something out for ams2? Or if there’s a video out there showing what to adjust. Anything helps!!

2. McClutch

McClutch Well-Known Member

I don't use FOV calculator. I just make the virtual hands on the wheel match size with my hands (wearing gloves) This results in a AMS2 fov of 69-72 depending on car.
    I' am also under the impression that a lot of side by side collisions happen to players (VR or not) that use a low FOV tunnel vision.

The main gripe I have with low fov (less than 50 in ACC, less then 65 in AMS2), is that is does not give me any speed sensation.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. LeakyValve

LeakyValve New Member

mans from what I’ve been reading and watching some people really need/want that sense of “speed”. I could care less if I “feel fast” if I’m actually faster on track.
    I did see one video saying the FOV for ams2 should be set around 63-65 and then use the camera up/down left/right to position it better. I know that FOV isn’t the best for speed sense but might be better for lap times.
    Here’s that video

4. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

In AMS2 FOV is merasured horizontally. You don*t really need any FOV calculator. Simply measue the angle from the tip of your nose to the edges (left/right) of your display to begin with.
    On my 32'' 21:9 screen it's 88° for example. I prefer this realistic one, but you have to try and look, what angle fits your preference best...

5. LeakyValve

LeakyValve New Member

I’m trying to picture what measuring would look like. So seated in my cockpit. From my nose to the left edge of my screen. And to the right edge I’m making basically a triangle? And the angle where my nose sits is the angle I’m looking for?

6. Periophtalmus Spintirus

Periophtalmus Spintirus [3DP]BumbleBee AMS2 Club Member

Exactly that! :cool:

7. LeakyValve

LeakyValve New Member

Okok cool I’ll give that a try as well and see about some results. Appreciate the input and idea!

8. LeakyValve

LeakyValve New Member

I used basically all I could find and settled on a few things.

In game FOV is 60-64. I know im dumb I literally just finished and im laying in bed.

My monitor is 30 in ultra wide sitting around 27 inches from my face.

I set the FOV and left it. Used the “wsad” keys and mapped angle look up and down to the keyboard and just sat in the car on track. And used those things to adjust my seat position to something I liked.

It felt weird at first. Felt like I was going slower than I was. But after a while the benefit of that comes to life. Feelings slower some how made me feel like I could carry more speed into corners.

Proof is in the numbers with a WR on TT at the trapezoid oval thing in Brazil in the USA gen 3 car

Lastly. No matter the settings. Use it for an extended period. Like run a crap tonne of TT or track days. Even a few races. Just stick with the settings you pick for a while before giving up on it.

9. Racinglegend1234

Racinglegend1234 AMS2 wiki founder AMS2 Club Member

Does AMS2 have a standard FOV? When I set my FOV and then reset camera using a keyboard command it goes to some FOV I haven’t put in

10. Peter Stefani

Peter Stefani Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Currently using 62
    Ultimately, it's up to you and what you feel comfortable with.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2023
  11. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

I think that a lot of users are trying to hard to get the correct FOV. Just adjust the screens to your like and have fun driving instead of getting headaches from trying to get the FOV spot on.:D
    No problem if you like tweaking but I gave up after way too many hours tweaking and tweaking. I now just enjoy racing with a FOV set to my liking.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

It's so fuc#in' easy:

Modern FOV Calculator ( mathematically correct FOV)

Monitor size - Distance to screen (when you look in the middle of it) voila!
    It's all about perception of speed.
    You can adjust the seat,but i wouldn't play with FOV settings as you will get as misconception of "speed".
    You won't see the whole cockpit or the mirrors,that is totaly right.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  13. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

49 inch monitor. 68-70cm away, so 81 it is.

14. Dady Cairo

Dady Cairo "Son of Spartakus" and "Leisure Nostradamus" AMS2 Club Member

49 inch monitor. 80-82cm away, so 63 it is.:D

• Like Like x 1
  15. Marius H

Marius H Internal Beta Tester Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Maybe I should try 82. :rolleyes:

16. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Living on the edge:D

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. ricxx

ricxx Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I do also think that FOV and the math around it is overrated. You should fiddle with it a bit, and yes there are a few good points in having the 'correct' FOV on your screen, but imo just use what you're comfortable with, really. I tried setting the calculated FOV a few times in different games and it is always completely undrivable for me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  18. blanes

blanes Member

Yeah I agree that the FOV calculator is just a guideline. I am using a Sony 65 inch 4K screen at about 120 cm from my face and contrary to the FOV calc I have tinkered heaps and settled on in-game FOV around 68 to 72 which feels good to me. Down around 50's or low 60's looks and feels horrible. I gotta think that one's eyesight health, or lack of it, plays a huge part of what each individual prefers.

After driving solely in VR past years I could not drive on a screen anymore until I swapped my 40 inch 4K screen to the 65 inch. I guess VR can spoil you for racing on smaller screens. 65 inch is crackin' good tho' and really nice for a break from the Pimax 8kx.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MarkBLN

MarkBLN New Member

49" 32:9 screen, 90cm away and settled on fov of 92 as the sweet spot for me. Then use seat controls to push camera in until I fill the screen to my liking.

After 20 years simracing and experimenting with different fov over the years I've come to the conclusion that all the calculators are useless. The values they give might be useful if your screen space is the actual size of a car interior. Otherwise going for a 1:1 fov when you have a normal monitor is daft. It will look like driving from the slit in an army tank :D If your screens are not the size of a car interior then you'll have to make compromises.

Going by the calculators I should use 67. That feels like driving with binoculars strapped to my eyes. The point of rotation of the car feels way off, the sense of speed is just incorrectly slow and it makes me feel motion sick. It's just wrong. It doesn't feel right at all.

At the end of the day go with what feels comfortable for you. Also note that lower fov will make motion sickness worse for those who suffer.

• Agree Agree x 4
  20. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

LOL, this calculator states my horizontal POV should be 32 degrees, while that calculator states that my horizontal POV should be 72 degrees.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2023