2 displayports and 1 HDMI port with triple screens

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - Help & Support' started by Bull Shark, Mar 9, 2023.

1. Bull Shark

Bull Shark "Later has already begun." AMS2 Club Member

Hi all,

I have a GTX 1080TI 11GB card which has 5 ports. That is,
    2 x displayport and 2 x HDMI port and 1x dvi.

I had a iiyama 27inch triple screen setup. Sold it because I had no space anymore. Will not bother you guys with this story.
    But I always had issues with stuttering etc. Not in an enormous quantity but they were present.
    Now I recently played AMS 2 again on a single monitor I kept. Which has a res of 2550*1440p. Connected through a displayport connection. The games runs utterly smooth. Of course this is a much much lesser pixel count than with the triple screen setup, but I was wondering,
    Could it be that the game just does not run smooth when connected via 2 displayports and 1 HDMI port?

How do you triple screen racer’s have your triple screens connected? I presume I’m not the only one with a GFX card without 3 of the same ports.
    Mine is an MSI brand.
    I’m planning to buy a new set of screens because I really miss sim racing. I do not have a very new PC,
    Just an intel i7 8700k running at 5,0Ghz and a GTX 1080ti 11GB gfx card. Bought in 2018 If I’m correct.

so 3 simple 1080p screens are sufficient for me. It is just for simracing as the rest of the games I mostly play are played on the Xbox series x on my 4K TV.

all above said, is the use of 2 different ports on my GFX card the problem here? Will I see stutter again and will the screen quality be very different for the screen connected to HDMI compared to the 2 screens connected via Displayport?

whome can shine a light on this..

2. torsteinvh

torsteinvh Steam: Nietzroth AMS2 Club Member

When I still had my VR headset i had my triples connected with 2x DP and 1x HDMI. Can't say I remember any noticeable difference to having 3x DP as I have now.

But this is dependent on monitor specs. Some monitors may have different maximum refresh rates on HDMI and DP, or only support G-Sync on DP and not HDMI for instance.
    My monitors support G-Sync on both types of ports, and I made sure I used a refresh rate that was supported by both ports as well.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bull Shark

Monitors were identical. :D
    But I have to see what happens. It could be a bad cable, or something wrong with drivers, or perhaps had Nvidia problems with 2 displayports and 1 HDMI port when I used surround. Really don’t know.
    The new screens will be lower specs as the sold screens (2 of the 3) are more DTP screens. Awesome screens and expensive but not really good gaming monitors. Lol.

thanks for the reply:D

4. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

I have my triples connected via DP. Its the only way i can get GSync as my monitors HDMI is only 1.4. 2.0/1 is needed for GSync HDMI on nVidia.
    Now i have VR again i have unplugged my left screen as the Reverb needs DP and my card only has 3 DP and 2 HDMI. I havent bothered plugging in the HDMI port yet though as i dont think i will ever use triples again.
    As you are limited on space i would look into getting VR and a new GPU, sorry to say that but it really is better than triples now that GPUs can run it with the help of OPenXR/Composite.
    #NoVRNoBuy it is now for me.
    Also nVidia wont do GYsnync on 1080Ti past a single screen That was the instigator to me getting the 3080, i got 3 GSync screens while still on the 1080Ti and there is no way of getting GSync across 3 screens until newer cards, i think 2000 series can do it but why get a 2000 series card hey, like now, why get a 3000 series if 4000 series are here, just sell the worst kidney ;)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bull Shark

Haha yeah and before I know I have spend another €3000 or more. VR is absolute great, I love VR but a new wheel, pedals, wheel stand etc will cost me already more than I planned. If I buy a new GPU, I need a new CPU as well and then is the ram the bottleneck, so new ram, and perhaps is the Mobo also old news so a new Mobo and a new power unit… :D
    I have to make compromises and VR is not in the Budget range I’m afraid I love simracing I really do but the time that I spend that much money lies behind me.
    Time is also a thing…
    For now I have to do it with a CSL DD and CSL pedals v3 on a single 27inch screen.
    Not ideal but more than I hoped for. I already said goodby to simracing when I moved. So what I ordered and already have is more than ok for me. Will save some money to buy 3 screens.
    Thanks for your input of course. I’f I had the money and time, I definitely would buy a VR setup.:D

• Like Like x 1
  6. 2ndLastJedi

2ndLastJedi Free speech matters AMS2 Club Member

Yeah PC gaming...sim racing is a money pit.
    The CSL DD is a great base, maybe if I went back to the CSW I would feel the difference more.

You can find bargains put there, like 3080 for $650 aud from time to time. If you got a new CPU it would mean a new mobo, when I got my 13600k I stayed on DDR4 side, I will be loosi g a bit of performance but I found some fast BDie for cheap and enjoyed learning to overclock it. So you won't necessarily need new RAM, depending on how well your current dimms go.

In the end, enjoy what you can get, you can certainly enjoy sim racing and your setup will still be more than many have.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bull Shark

Indeed, I feel privileged with what I have. As you say, simracing is a money pit. O well, happy to be racing any time soon again. Just finished a couple of laps with AMS2 and ACC. Really enjoyed it, even with an Xbox controller. Haha. Both are almost non playable with a controller. Pcars 3 is much better to handle with a controller. That said, can’t wait to test the DD wheel.

• Like Like x 1