Help - Does AMS2 drivers really want to race online?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by roszman, Feb 26, 2023.

1. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

@Coldsalmon - I think I had the same issue when I took on the P4 race at Cordoba. Although I think the AI had been skewed by my initial poor race at Kansai where weather was an issue in VR and I kept crashing. So for my first race at Cordoba I lapped all of them twice, the race after that the AI had adjusted to that and I had zero chance. It seems to have levelled out a little more now. My pace has dropped overall but I can see that happening a little as the AI settles down.

I commented above completely assuming the AI was making the most of the full range of 120% so was surprised, like you, how good they are at 100% compared to Solo.

Do practice laps affect Safety/Consistency? I wondered that when getting warnings during practice sessions.

• Like Like x 1
  2. roszman

roszman Well-Known Member

:) glad to hear that, but 5 races is too long :/

Adaptive AI is based on logged AI lap times, with enough races in RCO database the adjustment period should be shorter, but also adaptation algorythm for sure can be improved.

I've created AAI as an aftertought, to help me test RCO features during development, I was too lazy to continously adjust AI by hand :p
    And look at AAI now, main feature :D

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

I'm curious how the AI works in the conditions of the race we both had with Racezilla in the P4 series.

He was much quicker than both of us in qualifying (starting p1) and the race. You were off your normal pace (starting p12) and I would say I was roughly about right starting in p5 (although that could have been p11 or p12 as was the case earlier with the Vee's.) So how does the AI adjust the spread to give all three of us a competitive race?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. roszman

Not atm, but imo they could affect Safety

5. roszman

It's magic ;)

It's just averege of drivers AI skills, weighted a little bit iirc

6. Magnus

Magnus Active Member

It does make sense to affect your Safety rating - that's really going to hurt, I can be a real 'hoon' during practice on a new track:eek:
    It is magic @roszman, you practice the dark arts. Or, I'm just thick.:D

...probably a bit of both:cool:

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. roszman

So the problem was calculated AI skill in race with other drivers?

Adaptive AI works like that:
    • If RCO don't know AI lap times for given car and track combo, then drivers average AI skill is used
    • If RCO don't know drivers lap times for a given car and track combo, then drivers average AI skill is used
    • If RCO knows AI and drivers lap times then it compare times and adjust AI skill if needed
    • If RCO don't know drivers AI skills, then it sets AI skil to roughly 100% (in single player AI scale)

There are some edge cases which moves AI skill a little, but basicaly it's just that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. roszman

You don't know how much you're useful to RCO ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. roszman

posted by mistake

10. Coldsalmon

Coldsalmon Member AMS2 Club Member

I think I had 2 problems in succession.

1. AI calibration got thrown off by the new tracks (that's my hypothesis).

2. Then I entered some races with other drivers, and since they were much faster than me, this caused the AI to be too fast for me to keep up.

Now the AI seems to be at a good level for me in solo races: I qualified 7th and finished 3rd in 2 different classes. Both races were great. My ratings seem to have recovered as well.
    Pace 47
    Safety 86
    Consistency 88

Perhaps the AI could err on the side of being too slow if there is insufficient data. I would expect my lap times at the beginning of a new week with new tracks to be significantly slower than my lap times at the end of a week when I've gotten to know the tracks. It's more psychologically rewarding to hotlap alone in first place than to hotlap alone in last place. Last week I had the same experience as Magnus and it felt better: in my first P4 race I was lapping the AI, and then in my second race they adjusted.

11. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

@roszman Great work on RCO... Looks visually appealing and I like the fact that you always have re-occurring races (somewhat like Forza Motorsports).

Suggestion: Add a small text box describing the benefits of your service and/or the problem you are trying to solve so people immediately know why they should be using your service or migrate to it. For example, empty lobbies? Automatic tracking of online stats with AMS2, etc..

• Like Like x 2
  12. VFX Pro

@roszman You might need to add some table "padding" in your CSS.

upload_2023-3-14_13-39-46.png

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  13. VFX Pro

Suggestions for Marketing/Promotions...
    1. Reach out to Mike604, GamerMuscle, and other AMS2 youtubers and suggest they feature RCO in one of their video.
    2. Figure out what differentiates your service vs others and perhaps add a link to your home page to your wiki page with such information... You must answer the
    "why RCO" clearly.
    3. Reach out to RaceDepartment and bsimracing to get an article in there and ask how much they would charge to run an ad.
    4. I will try to sign in again tonight... Last time I tried clicking on Steam link didn't return anything, so I could create an account.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. roszman

Thanks for great suggestions ;)

What you describe is basically what I plan to do, but not yet. RCO is quite barebone atm, without nice races series structure, stats and other stuff yet.
    I want to put some more roszman's magic on RCO before I start to bother youtubers and such. ;)

But feel free to spread the word, and try RCO first, maybe it's not good at all ;)

• Like Like x 2
  15. VFX Pro

You have a good point...Perhaps, you in an alpha stage where features come and go and that would NOT be a good time to go "public" yet. Maybe RCO is currently in its "friends and family" stage where you are still gathering requirements and that is perfectly fine. When you are ready to go "public" let us know... I'm sure the AMS2 Community can help you if the product addresses a real gap in the sim space.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. DaveC187

DaveC187 Member

How do I re-link my Steam Account with my profile? I signed up to RCO a while ago, but I changed my Steam name and it is still linked to my previous Steam name. I don't see anywhere to change it.

17. roszman

I think it was @Coldsalmon idea to keep low for a while ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. roszman

Hi Dave ;)
    There is no such functionality avaliable now, but it's in the pipeline.

PM me your new name.

19. roszman

Thanks for reporting that.

On my end, on multiple devices it looks good.

Does anyone else is experiencing such issue?

EDIT
    Ok, I think I got it. Thx

Last edited: Mar 14, 2023
  20. VFX Pro

True. After all, there is only one first impression.

• Agree Agree x 2