The Lotus 23 in AMS2 finally handles like Lotus.

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by john Ellis, Mar 20, 2023.

1. john Ellis

john Ellis The Rectifier of Names AMS2 Club Member

I don't know if it was the recent FFB standardization process accomplished for the recent 1.4.6 update or what, but the Lotus 23's handling seems subtly--but markedly--improved. In my book (and with my default FFB settings at least) the Lotus 23 is now another fine example of what Reiza can do with historic cars in AMS2. Keep them coming!

• Like Like x 1
  2. Roar McRipHelmet

Roar McRipHelmet Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I haven't seen any mention of the Lotus 23 in the recent changelogs, maybe @Coanda can chime in on that, but what i can say is that with the Lotus 23, there is a significant difference in FFB feel with low and high FFB Gain. It can feel vague with "normal" medium FFB strength, but as soon as I amp up the Gain to full, I can feel an incredible amount of detail come to the surface - some of the best detail in AMS2, in my opinion. And it should be Gain, not Low-force-boost, as it's the dynamics that feel so vivid.
    (A similar effect can be felt in the Rental Kart, by the way - huge improvement to FFB feel if you amp up to max gain)

The Lotus 23 is fantastic to race around Azure and Cadwell park, also in Multiplayer. And I can only dream about how it will feel on the upcoming Südschleife…
    Such a shame that we don't have more cars with similar tires to the Lotus 23 but with more power that we can drive at breakneck speed around old Spa, Premium Track #6, or a certain French high-speed track… Hopefully such cars will come in 2023 and beyond - if not by Reiza, then at least by modders if the Lotus 23 tire compounds is something that modders can put to good use.

3. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Hey guys - just because of your discussion I tried to drive your Lotus 23 two minutes ago.
    Hehe a good example of how subjective different peoples assessments of virtual cars is.:D

I have to say that I prefer the more highpowered and aero influenced formula cars.
    All formula cars - except the oldest Vintage and oldest Retro.
    And without being the highest and most objective judge this Lotus 23 is worse than the old Retros.
    Hehe but its probably me - because I tried to follow a Kevin M (?) on the Jerez in TT mode and he just pulled away.:eek:

ByTheWay: I wanted to like both the Vintage and Retros but honestly dont feel they are driving as cars. Whether like road cars or racing cars. o_O

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  4. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

By the way the technology is so different you cannot compare 80s cars to 60s or 70s cars...

There were huge growth periods in between the eras... Unlike the period post 1994 until now when there was no where near the level of development... In fact there was more growth between the 70s and 80s than the past 3 decades...

5. john Ellis

Valid point, and quite fitting given that the pre-aero and post-aero eras of motorsport are clearly defined by the creativity and ingenuity of Colin Chapman. While the little 23 is a pure example of the former, the Lotus Grand Prix cars in AMS2 are testament to the various iterations of the latter.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Coldsalmon

Coldsalmon Member AMS2 Club Member

I tried it again just the other day and found it as difficult to drive as I remembered, probably due to my own lack of skill. I have a hard time slowing the car down - the brakes seem to be really really ineffective. The tires seem to have very little lateral grip, which is kinda fun but also difficult in the corners. Trail braking seems to just cause understeer. I'll try it again, because it does seem to be my kind of car - any tips?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Scar666

The tyre technology is basic, so treat it like a wet surface... The levels of grip just aren't there to drive it hard to the edge... Overdriving is therefore very easy...

I have a feeling this car will be one of those to benefit from the new tyre physics that the Formula Inter has...

• Like Like x 2
  8. john Ellis

Not sure about that ... I would rather hope that AMS2 would properly model the differences between 1960s and 2020s tire technology!

Agreed; the Inter is a most welcome addition, despite some folks grumbling about, "Do we really need another single seater?

9. john Ellis

The Lotus 23 tyically understeers in low speed corners, but is neutral in mid to high speed corners. Like an Elise it likes straightline braking (engine braking + Girling disc brakes with dual master cylinders + hope--any way you can get it), throttle on through the corner. You do not want to lift mid-corner in a 23. Although a Lotus 23 has half the weight of an Elise (remember GT Legends or Power & Glory?) with equal horsepower, I can't say I feel that sensation in AMS2.

Although I find the car notably better now in AMS2 and actually fun to drive, it's a long, long way from Jimmy Clark's giant killer in my hands. If Reiza further tweaks the Lotus 23 to be AMS2's version of the Porsche 718 RS 60 Spyder in Assetto Corsa--especially around places like the 'Ring, that would be an excellent outcome. But, in all honesty, driver expectations probably need adjusting more than the 23 needs tweaking in the sim--it's just a very different experience.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
  10. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

Hehe looking forward to that.
    Maybe it will end up driving as a car :D

11. Scar666

Oh they will...

What has been learned in the engine to create those new slow speed physics are transferable... It's not about creating modern tyres for the Lotus', but updating their current physics...

• Like Like x 2