TIP: Navigate the UI without mouse and keyboard

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by VFX Pro, Apr 21, 2023.

1. VFX Pro

VFX Pro Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

If you are using a motion rig or are in a situation where you keyboard and mouse a relatively far from your wheel and pedals, you will appreciate the fact that you can navigate the entire UI (include "enter" and "esc") using the wheel "stick" to change settings, etc...
    • The stick allows you to go up/dow/right/left
    • Pressing the joystick down, is "enter".
    • Pressing the button next to the stick is "esc"
    • Pressing left and right shifting pedals is "next tab" while you are in multitab view.
    This works with the Fanatec Formula Rim, but I'm sure many other wheels with a min-joystick can do the same.

• Like Like x 3
  2. VFX Pro

The only thing that is frustrating, is that I cannot navigate to the exit button without using the mouse.
    Does anyone have a solution or workaround for this?

upload_2023-4-21_19-59-1.jpeg

3. YOUNG IL YOON

YOUNG IL YOON crossfieldz_ROK AMS2 Club Member

there is one embedded mapped button for exit in my fanatec bmw gt2 wheel and formula v2 wheel.
    but i can't find exit button in replay menu

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

The user interface in PC2 was designed from the outset to be console friendly, so all functionality was available just using the buttons on a wheel or controller. Most of that has carried over to AMS2, with a few exceptions such as the exit replay button. I'd guess that when development finally gets round to gamepad functionality this will eventually be tidied up.
    I nearly always use my wheel to navigate the UI and the way you can easily interact without taking your hands off the wheel is a major QoL benefit of the Madness engine, especially in VR when you are doing it blind.
    There's one other quirk in AMS2 and that's when you set up a quick race you have to d-pad upwards to get to the big start button at the bottom - if you d-pad down towards it, it skips back up to the top again and misses the start button.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. YOUNG IL YOON

If dev team want to resolve this issue, refer android focus traversal logic might be help even complicated little bit..

6. VFX Pro

Just to be clear, you are saying there is a way to click "exit" only using the wheel? If true, that would solve the only problem I currently have... I tried every button but couldn't find one that would "Exit". Can you tell me which button that is?

7. YOUNG IL YOON

this button.

Attached Files:

8. VFX Pro

Thanks, that's good news. I will try to find the equivalent on my Formula v2 racing.

9. VFX Pro

Finally found the ability to "exit" the menu! Thanks @YOUNG IL YOON for pointing me in the right direction. I don't need to keep pulling my keyboard and mouse anymore :)

Having the ability to control everything from D-PAD like ACC is truly good a good experience.
    upload_2023-4-22_12-22-59.png

Last edited: Apr 22, 2023
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. YOUNG IL YOON

do-enjoy-your-party-good-time.gif

11. BartZ

BartZ Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Mouse is fine for me. My wheel is mapped for in-race functions. If I had other menu control options I'd rather use mouse anyway. The way I see it, I'd rather the devs continue bringing epic updates (cars, tracks, etc) than implement mouse substitutions

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. John Hargreaves

John Hargreaves Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

For sure you can't beat the mouse in 2D, but certainly in VR it helps me a lot to have everything at my thumbtips without having to chase the little rodent around my desk blind. Also, that gamepad functionality is already built in so it won't be a big draw on resources when they get round to refining it.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. VFX Pro

One issue I just found out is that the user can't fully nagivate the Car Setup areas just using the "gamepad/wheel joystick", a mouse is still required.

UPDATE: The screen where we can adjust mirrors and seat position, cannot be managed via gamepad/wheel joystick as well, requires a mouse.

I'm hoping one day, 100% of the UI can be managed via the wheel gamepad/joystick.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2023
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Koering

Koering New Member

I am driving in VR too and maybe this helps:
    I mapped the AMS2 'Pause' to a button on my wheel at the button, so I don't press it accidentally in racing and this has exit functionality too I think :)
    I also use the JoyToKey software to navigate through my ICM menu. In game I mapped up down right left to WSAD....

upload_2023-4-26_11-56-25.png

• Informative Informative x 1