Reiza and racecraft.online?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by roszman, May 3, 2023.

1. arminglf

arminglf New Member

That's fine mate, you don't need to believe. But for everyone else who love this game and is also desperate to get a good multiplayer platform for AMS2 this comes as a blessing.
    I don't know roszman, we live continents apart but I genuinely appreciate what he is doing.

I subscribed to iRacing only because of the multiplayer system because I don't like anything else. So getting this added to my favourite game really deserves all the hype, not faking it by one bit and I'll contribute however I can to make it work.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Racer44SM

Racer44SM New Member

I registered couple of days ago and the platform is very promising. Basically an LFM alternative for AMS2 which is great. Thanks for all your hard work. I hope Reiza does get in touch for a more close-knit working relationship.

• Like Like x 1
  3. arminglf

arminglf New Member

Mate, roszman gave you the answer a few posts above. Read all comments if you want to contextualise your Sherlock Holmes finding.

The system is free, he hasn't even asked for donations so the only incentive for us to do this out of goodwill is to get this working as good as possible. Personally I don't want to miss the opportunity to finally get a competitive multiplayer for AMS2 and I'm sick of waiting for Reiza to sort this out themselves.

Btw, this thread is about showing Reiza how much support RCO is getting and how much we need a decent multiplayer. No one is trying to fool or scam anyone, purely so Reiza gets the message, and if they communicate to roszman they will be able to decide if this is worth pursuing or not.

Last edited: May 4, 2023
    • Like Like x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Michael Croshaw

Michael Croshaw Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Yeah, real person here. Not been motivated to play AMS2 much until now as I only really play multiplayer. If you want to go Sherlock Holmes google me, I have a business and located in the UK. I play all the sims but I've always thought AMS2 could be the one if it only had decent multiplayer. I've done a fair bit of iRacing, but it leaves me cold most of the time and has so much anti fun elements that I can't be bothered any more. I am also on LFM and have an ACC LFM license and played RF2 a lot ( and still do ). RCO has actually gotten me to play AMS2 and I am really loving it. The creator asked his discord community to show some support for the project so here we are. Maybe the hype will die down. But it's worth a go and it's free. So far plenty of people have offered to donate to the project but the owner is in no hurry to accept donations and is paying for the server costs himself. So maybe lets try and be less cynical, less doom and gloom and just give it a go.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 8
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. arminglf

arminglf New Member

Exactly this, there is no need to be suspicious about it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bieni

Bieni New Member AMS2 Club Member

Hello, I have been sim racing for a couple years now and for the last year mainly just AMS2 and some online racing, but it has been frustrating sometimes. I am hearing more good things about RCO and will sign up this weekend. Looking forward to using RCO. Thank you very much for making this available, and for free ! Gladly will donate. - Thank you.

• Like Like x 2
  7. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

i'm really confused by this. It's been around since 2021 without getting any real traction but over the last few days seems to have become popular and it's not clear why.

I needed to hop into some online races last night to test some Crew Chief changes and a significant proportion of the (populated) servers were RCO servers not running races, but part way through 720 minute practice sessions. These all appeared to have several drivers in them (or maybe it was AI?). I only spotted 1 RCO server doing a race.

I don't want to grumble about efforts to create a more organised online community but in my (very brief) experience RCO seemed to have hoovered up lots of players into unending practice servers, making it all-but-impossible to find a decently populated pickup race :(

• Like Like x 2
  8. Troodon

Troodon Active Member AMS2 Club Member

From what I understand, you have to complete three consecutive clean laps without track cuts or collisions on the practice servers before you're allowed onto the race servers, and I think that's for every single track separately. That could account for some of the people on the practice servers.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. arminglf

arminglf New Member

You don't simply join the servers that you see on AMS2, you register to practice and race on the website.
    Go to the RCO website, have a good read of how it works and enjoy.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Michael Croshaw

Michael Croshaw Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Practice servers spool up when people request them. They are getting used a lot at the moment as people do their 3 laps to unlock the ability to then race on that track. They should spool down again once they are not being used. This will subside fairly rapidly once people gain their track unlocks. It's a good system that stops people just going in blind for races on tracks they have never done.
    There have been a ton of actual races going on, I've done 11 myself this week, some against real players and some against AI and some against a mix of both.
    Given that it's a completely free service, it seems odd to complain about it, just sign up yourself, it will cost you nothing but time.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  11. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

I think I can explain some of this.

Yes, RCO has been about but with limited success and has recently for whatever reason gained a significant amount of traction.

The way these servers work, they are dynamically created as you register for a practice/race and are closed again by the system once they are finished.

I believe the reason you may be seeing a lot of practice servers currently is because the criteria of being eligible to race a track is having passed a 3 clean lap challenge, not too dissimilar to ACC’s track star rating system I guess.

There are a lot of new people signing up who need to do these clean laps challenge to be able to then race that car/track combo, thus a lot of practise servers being created. As these people then go on to race and move up from rookies to bronze license, this opens up new car and track combos which then also require new 3 lap challenges to be completed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Reversegrid

Reversegrid New Member AMS2 Club Member

I just want to thank @roszman for their hard work on this amazing system. It’s unreal and has made it easier for someone with a busy schedule like me to be able to participate in quality online races. Bravo sir! I hope Reiza takes notice!

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. GeekyDeaks

GeekyDeaks Member AMS2 Club Member

It seems to stem from a YT vid by 'Pitlane Sim Racing' highlighting the service and explaining how it works. After that went live all hell broke loose.... I can find you a link to the video if you want.

That seems a bit short sighted tbh. More activity is what we all want and this seems to be helping garner more interest. It's got to be a win-win for everyone who wants more on-line racing in the long term surely?

14. mr_belowski

mr_belowski Well-Known Member

the RCO website has no information at all, just a list of racing series with no hints as to how it works and what's expected of drivers

• Disagree Disagree x 9
  15. roszman

roszman Well-Known Member

I feel you and sorry for the mess, I will try to figure how to make practice servers less visible. It's about racing and not practicing right ;)

On the other hand better filtering options in ams2 server browser could solve this problem.

• Like Like x 1
  16. roszman

Just click question mark in circle

• Like Like x 7
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

There is a very helpful discord server which has a lot of useful info.

• Like Like x 3
  18. DazzyD70

DazzyD70 New Member AMS2 Club Member

• Like Like x 1
  19. roszman

ACC-like track stars in AMS2 could also partially solve this issue, so RCO wouldnt need to spawn all those servers.

20. GeekyDeaks

GeekyDeaks Member AMS2 Club Member

Since you have allowed the clean laps challenge to apply to any combo on the circuit, I suspect it'll be less of an issue once all the initial interest has died down

• Like Like x 1