new patch game "changer" or just "easier" ?

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by MarcoMd, Jun 13, 2023.

1. MarcoMd

MarcoMd Member

“Hello, since the new patch came out everyone says that the game is much better and that the patch is a game changer. Using the F1 Ultimate Gen2 or F1 Classic G4, I only perceive that it is much easier, as if I have more active traction control. Let’s take an example then, F1 Gen2 in Spa. What should I perceive? What am I missing? Thanks in advance for your advice.”

2. BrunoB

BrunoB TT mode tifosi BANNED

If you replace "much easier" with "slightly easier" then I will agree with you.
    At least some of the formula cars I have tested after the update feels slightly different in an intuitive way.
    But not much.:)

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. CrimsonEminence

CrimsonEminence Administrator Staff Member AMS2 Club Member

Contact patch of tires behaves more consistent due to tires having more accurate tire spring/damping behaviour, also various updates to treads. Tires deflect appropriately now without acting strange in some cases where load is transfered.

There is no traction control for the named classes in your post btw., tires are actually spinning up more now. Having more longitudinal slip can actually make cars behave less snappy/edgy on throttle.

Results that are pretty noticeable after revision are things like the skatyness of tires in slow corners being addressed, more response to steering inputs and overall more definition and depth in handling which communicates more to the driver, tires spin up easier, more stability of aerodynamics and slightly different heating and wear characteristics of the tires, slip angles are less big but progression into slides is still provided.

Overall you just get more control over the cars while their consistency of grip is improved. (Tires actually need less grip now to function and still deliver better control net worth)

• Informative Informative x 11
    • Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. MarcoMd

MarcoMd Member

I understand the technical data you listed for me, but to me, the game simply seems easier. I just tried it with the Gen2 F1 car at Imola, and it was so easy. Even when I had a slight spin, I easily recovered the car and continued without any issues. Not to mention that when you activate the DRS, it feels like you have an extra 100 kilometers per hour. I don't know, it just seems more arcade-like to me now. I can't really perceive this "game changer" that everyone is talking about. In the past, I often found myself passing cars in multiplayer because when I got close, the pressure would make the opponent spin. Now, I believe that will happen less frequently.

5. MarcoMd

MarcoMd Member

Yes, perhaps I said it was much easier because I had an extreme car setup, and now that I had to delete all the settings, it feels even easier.

• Creative Creative x 1
  6. CrimsonEminence

If you find the F-Ultimate Gen2 too easy then you aren't remotely close to the limit ;)

Throwing around the term arcade now because one of the highest downforce cars behaves more planted (like it should) isn't exactly accurate.

• Agree Agree x 16
  7. CrimsonEminence

To stay with the Topic F-Ultimate Gen2: It actually has less grip and less downforce now, its top-speed is lower and its laptimes slower aswell. Your impressions are pretty much coming from improved setup and tire consistency - if you want to have it less "arcade" lock up the diff more, add some oversteer bias to the setup and run Qualy ERS mode. :)

• Informative Informative x 5
  8. MarcoMd

MarcoMd Member

ok, was my feeling now, i'll try to setup again the car, but i did something impossible in just 6 laps of imola that i felt i was playing F1 2022 (to not mention arcade or haters will come to kill me :) )

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. CrimsonEminence

What makes you think, that a top end Formula car with tons of downforce and best technology avaiable is hard to drive under the limit? It doesn't make sense, it's a sim racing misconception that high powered cars should be barely drivable.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. MarcoMd

MarcoMd Member

i understand you but i half spinned and control the car and continued and other easier things, maybe i should increase again the level to 120 from 110..

11. BrunoB

Just curious - what is your name on some of the formula cars TT leaderboards?

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. CrimsonEminence

This was in the wet....

Of course you should be able to control the car - if you want to spin more easily, then don't drive the default setups which are aiming to even provide a drivable car on a gamepad, also leaving pace on the table ;)

13. Scar666

Scar666 Zum Glück bin ich verrückt

I was wondering when this sort of thread happened after the feel of the game changed for the better... So much more clarity on what the player feels will often lead to an "it's too easy now" response... Because the reality is much more of us can now feel what is happening than before... There's much more fidelity in each little scenario that can be thrown up that it just adds to the information given to the brain to drive the car...

For me there's far less moments of "What just happened? Why did I slide?" which I think many misrepresent as actual characteristics of highly tuned high powered race cars... Especially at slower speeds...

This kind of behaviour is more akin to the Life F1 cars of the world than the race and title winning cars we have in AMS2... There's a good reason they didn't win races, it was because they weren't predictable...

When a real life driver has a slide where they don't know what happened it's usually because they are inexperienced or something is actually broken with their car... Usually they know what happened that led to the slide so they can convey what the feeling is to their engineer and they can find a better feel for the next set up adjustment... But when they don't understand what happened there's usually a big problem...

With the new tyres I find that I know why I spun more often than not... And if I have more than a few slides the rears start to give up causing a spin... Before there was a knack to sliding which didn't hurt the tyres as much... Now you have to be even more precise and keep the wheel spin to a minimum...

I also find that the default set ups aren't death traps anymore... I understand the limitations of the AI and control pads behind the default set ups, but before this update they always had too much snap oversteer and they were generally unstable for me... The cars on the new tyres are the opposite... They feel like they are more neutral on default set up and are stable as a result...

I wouldn't say it's easier, just far more intuitive and refined overall with more information being sent to the drivers leading to better responses...

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. MarcoMd

MarcoMd Member

hahaha
    no no what i mean is that i even didn't finish to spin and the car was in the same position again.. they even didn't pass me.. anyway mayba i'm a super champion hahaha

15. MarcoMd

MarcoMd Member

i understand u but i never was inside a real F1 car so i donno what is the real feeling....
    i'm not complaining that is too easy, just to ask if u can explain what should i feel because my feeling was just that is easier and in internet i read the people that say that is amazing and game changer

16. MarcoMd

MarcoMd Member

Last edited: Jun 15, 2023
  17. MarcoMd

MarcoMd Member

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/SYiXdZKxWCI

this is how i drive AMS2 now

18. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

I don't really understand how there are still people who believe easier=arcade and hard=sim, that's so early 00's . We can't all be Hamilton's or Verstappen's, but when you had guys like Yuji Ide driving F1 cars and you have gentleman drivers doing the LeMans 24h, you know that driving them, while not easy, neither are impossible.

Just like in most sports everyone can play them, but only the elite are truly good! Racing cars are pretty much the same, I am sure I cannot get in an F1 car and do the laps I can do in the game, but most sims try to simulate the feeling of driving these super cars, not your ability to drive them in real life!!

Heck even the "arcade" F122 was too hard for real F1 drivers because of the horrible handling and low speed grip the cars had, so the analogy of easier=arcade goes out the window there.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. BrunoB

I saw a video from a game fair/exibition some years back where Nigel Mansell masacred some gamers in a racing game he had never used.
    They tried to follow him but most of them crashed trying to.
    The virtual cars was some older F1 cars and Im not sure but I think the game looked like rF2 (not mentioned).
    After the race Mansell was interviewed and here he said that if the real F1 cars from his time had been so difficult to control then both himself and most of his colleges would have been killed :whistle:

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. Gevatter

Gevatter The James May of Simracing AMS2 Club Member

If you mean this one it was RaceRoom, back in 2011

• Like Like x 1