VR Discussions, Questions & Feedback

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Heitor Facuri Cicoti, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Greg Latty

Greg Latty Member AMS2 Club Member

Any plans on having a usable replay system in VR? As of now, on some tracks the camera doenst move with the car when using trackside view. I have to turn my head all the way in the direction of the car to have it change the camera. On some tracks it doesnt even do that. I have to press a keyboart shortcut to change the track camera. When in pancake mode, it follows the car automatically and changes to the next camera automatically.

• Like Like x 2
  2. amndingo768

amndingo768 New Member

Sparks looks very bizarre in VR. I now avoid low light situations in low-slung vehicles because its so bad. ls there no way to turn this off in a settings file somewhere?

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. TurboHenk

TurboHenk Active Member AMS2 Club Member

This has been requested many times but there was never a official reply from Reiza about it.. It would be so great if we can finally disable these bugged sparks in VR so that we can finally use the Formula cars properly.

With the new patch the Formula cars drive awesome, but sadly enough many of them are not enjoyable because of this stupid "metal spark bug" :(

Especially the Formula classics on a bumpy road, that's not even fun at daytime, the sparks are indeed that bizarre/bad.

I think that Reiza's developers don't own a VR hmd. Otherwise they understood all these issues.. disabling or removing them(until they get them fixed) cannot be that difficult...

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Honestly, i don't think any dev or member of the Reiza staff have the slightest interest in VR issues. I've never even managed to get a response to anything VR related in the whole of AMS2's release cycle.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

Agreed about VR replay
    The most annoying thing in ams2 imo

shame as ams2 is such a nice looking sim

6. amndingo768

amndingo768 New Member

Exactly. This new physics update prompted me to get back into the formulas. They do drive nice! But the sparks spoil the experience enough that I don't race them and resort to solo hot laps. I sincerely hope the devs pay more attention to the VR issues. AMS2 is such a good starting point for a VR race sim, just needs refinement.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Michael Croshaw

Michael Croshaw Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Steam seems to have had an update, and now OpenXR is not working for me. Anyone else seen this?

8. pimpi84

pimpi84 Active Member

Hi all.
    I noticed that at night, storm condition, the reflection of rear lights over the track from cars ahead is rendered only up to a certain distance, and then disappears.
    It is quite distracting for me especially when these reflections suddenly pop-up.
    I tried all gfx settings to ultra and I tried to up/down particles but it does not change.
    It seems to me a LOD setting but I am not able to increase it.
    Do you have any suggestion, or maybe I am missing something big?

9. MickT

MickT Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Quote from Jabbah at the OC Discord. Try running through this procedure.

1. Every time SteamVR gets updated (with OpenComposite using system wide install) all games revert to using SteamVR again instead of OpenComposite. Loading OC and switching back and forth between SteamVR and OC doesn't help. What I have to do is close down SteamVR and Steam, making sure it isn't still running in the tray. Then run OpenComposite, switch to SteamVR and back to OpenComposite, then restart Steam. Steam will then show an error about OpenComposite and app type 6 not being supported. Click ok on that. Steam will close. Restart Steam again and all is now ok.
    2. Just posting this as happened to me again this morning. Probably happens more often as I'm on the beta versions of SteamVR.

10. Mike1304

Mike1304 Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Would be interesting to know how many of the Reiza devs use VR and if they like VR or not. It might sound strange but I have never played AMS2 without VR. It’s the best VR racing sim on the market IMHO despite the few annoying VR problems (sparks, headlights-performance, some shimmering white lines, HUD-setup…).
    I mean if they had tried it once how should they’ve been able to go back to pancake? :D

• Agree Agree x 10
  11. GogglesPaesano

GogglesPaesano Member AMS2 Club Member

I got a Pimax Crystal last week and this game looks incredible in VR. What a great experience!

12. Mike1304

How’s your performance and your rig? I have Pimax 8k+ but I prefer my Quest 2 despite the lower FOV but I want everything at best graphics settings and fluid FPS even at night/rain. It’s even a challenge with my Quest2 although I have RTX4090 so how can you handle a Crystal?

13. GogglesPaesano

GogglesPaesano Member AMS2 Club Member

daytime - everything on high. MSAA low. runs 90.

nighttime / rain - same old story. You basically need double the gpu power of daytime.

I guess it’s the headlights from the opponents that destroys performance. I wish reiza would address this somehow, because it’s a great aspect of the game.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

Sparks look terrible in flat replays too, they’re struck up completely in the wrong way, more like a damaged cable with them casually exiting horizontally, than being struck up violently and vertically as they should be.

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. TurboHenk

I have only one major wish for 1.5(since the rest will be good already probably): removed sparks or fixed sparks. They really ruin the VR experience.

I really don't understand that Reiza keeps them in the game in this broken state. They ruin the immersion and they add nothing to the game except irritation. Yes maybe nice for 2D/pancake racers(but not essential), but AMS2 got A LOT of VR users.

16. Mike1304

Not sure if I want them to get removed because I fear if that happens they will never come back again or get fixed in VR which would be sad… Fixing would be the best solution and maybe it isn’t that difficult but they need resources to have a look at the problem…

17. GregzVR

GregzVR P1 passion, P10 talent.

I think having the option to turn them on or off is the real best solution, then everybody wins.

• Agree Agree x 2
  18. AdrianJ

AdrianJ Active Member

I never see sparks
    How do you get them ?

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. ayrton2388

ayrton2388 Active Member AMS2 Club Member

Will AMS 2 work in VR with a GTX 1660 OC gpu and an AMD 5800x3d cpu?

20. TurboHenk

Agree this would be the best option by far. If this is not possible ingame(for whatever reason), then they can maybe give us as VR users an "file" to override in the Automobilista 2 map to disable them. So one file that has the spark (default) and one override file that disables them.

With all formula cars, they cannot be missed. When you play Long Beach/Formula retro/classic/evening/night, the whole race is 100% ruined with them, that combination give an insane amount of sparks and they are all out of place in VR. If you only drive GT/road cars, then you only see them when you hit a guardrail. So you almost never see them in that case.

• Like Like x 1