Official General AI Comments & Discussion Topic

Discussion in 'Automobilista 2 - General Discussion' started by Renato Simioni, Feb 1, 2021.

1. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Track: Indianapolis 500
    Car: F_USA_2023

AI are way too fast on this track and tend to go into player's rear just as if he was not there.
    They also have slipstream out of nowhere, whilst player must come pretty close to car in front to benefit from this effect.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. Marg

Marg Active Member

I agree, AI are racing too much close... although they split in groups, the last car with poor race skills is usually just 8 secs behind the leader after some 20 laps... I usually crash, because it's very hard to avoid AI car at some point.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. FS7

FS7 controller filters off please AMS2 Club Member

Reiza really needs to program AI backmarkers to get the hell out of the way.

Seriously, I just had a 45 minute race ruined because some stupid backmarker AI decided to fight with me like they're fighting for the world championship and took me out. Also, AI seems unable to overtake backmarkers, I was able to close a 5 second gap in 1 lap because the 2 AI cars in front of me got stuck behind a backmarker. This issue with backmarkers has been going on for a while and needs to be fixed, backmarkers should not fight for position, they should get the hell out of the way and let faster cars pass, just like in real life.

45-minute race, Formula Classic Gen4, Silverstone GP, AI difficulty at 90, aggression at high.

• Agree Agree x 7
  4. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Yes, that can be annoying.

- Backmarkers do net get out of the way of faster cars
    - On the in- and outlap, AI fight like crazy, never let a car pass that is on a fast lap in qualifying.
    - In general, AI has huge problems with overtaking slower drivers.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 6
  5. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Was it at Silverstone 1991? They are pretty bad there yes, lots of trouble overtaking and going over the curbs. There's light at the end of the tunnel though!

Also where you using the stock AI? With custom AI and Blue Flags at .99 they behave themselves much better when getting lapped, doesn't work on qualy or practice, but in the race they do back off much better.

6. Tornado

Tornado New Member

just run private session in qualify ;) it fixes these issues

7. Skidmark33

Skidmark33 Member AMS2 Club Member

• Car / Track used: Indianapolis Oval
    • AI Strength setting: 98%
    • Corner (if issue is corner specific): Turn 4 and pit straight
    • AI Aggression setting: Medium and Low (happens on both)
    • Session Distance: 20 minutes
    • Weather when the issue was observed: Light cloud, clearing to full sun
    • Player Tyre: Default set up
    • AI Tyre (if known to be different from player): Default set up
    • Type of session when the issue was observed (practice / quali / race): Race
    • AI cars: 27 x Formula USA (Gen 1) My car: Lola T95/00 Ford-Cosworth - Speedway
    There are a several issues I have found after doing about 20 races with above specs:

(1) The AI are relatively slow through Turn 4. I have to lift off or even brake to avoid hitting them sometimes.

(2) Once we are through the corner and the AI have slowed me down they are then able to launch off the corner and accelerate in a manner I have been unable to do (on default set up).

(3) If I block AI (legitimately) or brake test AI (to see what happens) in Turn 4, they are still are able to accelerate (much) faster than me down the main straight most times.

A couple of general observations of AI from the above races at Indy:

(1) If AI are running side-by-side but slightly ahead of you on the outside, you MUST give way or they will cut in on you, hit you and ruin your race. They will often not hold their line in this situation. MANY RACES RUINED BY THIS AI BEHAVIOUR.

(2) If AI are side by side with you they will sometimes begin a frenzied left right lateral movement, presumably looking for gaps, that occasionally causes collisions even though I am holding my line.

(3) On lap 1 (only) AI exit Turn 2 normally but slow down noticeably about 1/3 of the way down the back straight allowing an easy pass.

(4) AI have an annoying habit of running 2-3 wide right in front of you and making it impossible to pass. It feels like they only do it with me right behind - but I'm not sure about that. (NB I'm not sure about this one - it might be realistic and if it is realistic then of course should remain).

(5) Running at 98% AI level, I rarely get fastest laps and am roughly same pace as mid-field / leaders with clear track. If I do a qualifying session at 98% I'm on pole by 1-2 seconds. So I don't run qualifying sessions.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. Marg

Marg Active Member

(5) Running at 98% AI level, I rarely get fastest laps and am roughly same pace as mid-field / leaders with clear track. If I do a qualifying session at 98% I'm on pole by 1-2 seconds. So I don't run qualifying sessions.

I would suggest to try to make race_skills lower for AI (than qual_skills) in XML files, to avoid this disbalance, but then 110% maybe needed. But yes, there is such a thing, when AI relative speed in a race is faster than in qualifying (although I watched lap times and seemed it's just relative, AI had 2 secs slower laptimes than in Q session, but player - 4 secs slower, that's those 2 secs faster.)
    Or.... if it's championship mode - go out after qualifying session,to menu, change opponent strength before the race!

• Like Like x 1
  9. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

In many car classes, AI with it's simplified physics has way too much grip out of slow corners where player has to fight for grip in a car without traction control.
    AI often misses the entry completely, almost stands still on the apex in front of player and then just rockets out onto straight.
    Maybe the devs should reduce grip of AI for those cars without TC.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. skilewis74

skilewis74 New Member

My issue is the AI is too gentle when set at Max. Also they could be A LOT better at defending when close. Some other posts I've read had a % setting for the aggression. I don't get that option, just low, medium, high, max.

Also all the karts I've tried have horrible handling & I can't find a wheel setting that works for me, definitely not my preferred for all other cars. I've tried adjusting everything I can think of in the settings, it sometimes gets a bit better but never anywhere close to good. I liked the karts in AMS1.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2023
  11. tabs

tabs New Member

Track: Buskerud
    Car: Formula Junior
    Difficulty: 110 and 120 were tested, medium aggression
    Other settings: 2 humans + 30 AI, P2P, light rubber 10 minute quali, default progression 30 min race, good race temperatures

AI cars frequently get stuck in the steep uphill sections, either full stopping or getting extremely bogged down. Also at the top of the hill they often get stuck on the tight right hander before the big descent.

12. br1x92

br1x92 Active Member

Track: Almost every tested track, Hockenheim for comparisons sake to Le Mans
    Class: GT1
    Difficulty: 100

The GT1 AI still doesn't perform according to how the cars did in reality and how they do in AMS 2 for the player. In reality the order on most tracks was Merc>Porsche>Nissan>McLaren, in game I feel the Nissan and McLaren are very close which is OK for me for BoP reasons but doesn't reflect the real cars performances however.
    For the AI though, the McLaren AI at 100 consistently outperforms the Porsche AI at 100 while the fastest Nissan AI at 100 is at least one second away from the McLaren as well. The McLaren was simply a outdated car by 1998s standards, it was not competitive on pace with even the slowest '98 GT1 car which was the Nissan GT1. The fastest Nissan qualifying time at Le Mans was a full 5 seconds faster than the fastest McLaren in '97 and 10 seconds faster than the privately entered cars in '98, the AI performance in AMS2 doesn't nearly reflect that.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2023
  13. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, still no AI improvements in Version 1.5
    - No flag rules and penalties for them, they do anything just to destroy your laptime in their in- and outlap.
    In race, they cut corners to avoid being overtaken and ram you off track.
    - Still doing strange lateral moves when you are actually beside them
    - Coming from behind, they go for your rear tires
    - Still can rocket out of slow corners even if they missed the entry
    - Inability to overtake other AI cars
    - When being off track because of mistakes or accidents, they re-enter completely blind for situation and crash into player's car.
    - They go side by side for ages without overtaking, just blocking the whole track. AI also want to go through narrow corners that way and rather crash than step back when there is a tyre wall.
    - When player drives within a pack like in lap 1 when starting from the middle of the field, AI in front exaggeratedly brakes before corners while car from behind attacks you like crazy with no eye for the situation in front.

:(o_O

Last edited: Jul 26, 2023
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. Mazdaspeed

Mazdaspeed Well-Known Member AMS2 Club Member

Unfortunately the update didn't really bring any AI behavioral improvements. The improvements are more in the lines and speed they have in the updated tracks ( the ones in the changelog). Example being Silverstone 91, before the F1 Classics would be bouncing all over the curbs and drive like madmen, now they still bounce over some, but they are much more behaved, even though they do still struggle to overtake there .

Hopefully in the coming updates they can focus on those pesky behavioral issues the AI have.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  15. Jezza819

Jezza819 Member

It is very frustrating. I've got aggression set to Medium but sometimes it's like they are on Super High. The track blocking and brake checking in the middle of corners is awful. You can be 5 or 6 car lengths back and watch them through a corner and it's normal. But if you get on their rear end they're going to brake check you.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. Ernesto_171

Ernesto_171 Active Member

I don't test long runs in other cars, but F Ultimate Gen 2 needs more AI critical tire wear. Times drop ok, but AI can keep some UFO pace in slicks when humans saving medium tires will have no grip, like 40 laps in Interlagos. All the rest are good to me.

17. TomLehockySVK

TomLehockySVK Well-Known Member

Nurburgring Veedol, the AI just super-boosts coming out of Ford-Kurve and then slow down much earlier than necessary in the Dunlop-Kehre. M1 Pro Car and with Group A classes.

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. TomLehockySVK

I was getting excited to finally do more proper races against AI with the new physics update but the issues with the AI are even more glaring now that majority of the cars are improved, and some other issues:
    - they do not defend corner entry when you are very close about to make a passing move on them
    - they don't follow the car in front on a straight for a draft advantage
    - they do not defend their lane ever and as long as there is space on the track you are free to exploit it by moving towards them and giving yourself room
    - unless they are 125% clear to make a move they never ever do anything bold to get a position and instead they hit the brakes and lose all momentum they might have had

19. deadly

deadly Well-Known Member

Although the AI still behave weird, I usually have fun races against them as I own the game since early release and know how those buddies drive. But there are some combinations of car classes and tracks where it gets really frustrating.

20. TomLehockySVK

The thing is i should never have to make a spreadsheet for car and track combinations in order to have fun. Nurburgring Veedol for example has the AI in both Group A and M1 Pro Car cheat by going superboost out of Ford-Kurve, and then they brake check you in the very next follow-up corner. Imola 1972 even at max AI difficulty with F-Vintage Gen 1, the AI is brake checking everywhere.